R420...when?

x84D80Yx

Reaction score
when is ATI's godly R420 supposedly coming out?
ill probally end up gettting one since i havent upgraded my video card in a while. its supposedly double the speed of the 9800pro.

thanks in advanced ;x

I read in MaximumPC it's arriving in spring/summer, along with nVIDIA's new offering.

cool, i just hope its not over 500 bucks. its seriously insane if its 600 or 700 bucks :\

By then the Radeon 9800 XT will be a main stream card... :p

Do you guys know how much better it would be if you only had to buy one piece of hardware? Then insted of getting new cards every 2-3 years you just pay a little by little for upgrades etc?

Ridic said:
Do you guys know how much better it would be if you only had to buy one piece of hardware? Then insted of getting new cards every 2-3 years you just pay a little by little for upgrades etc?
Great idea but sadly the way they are made...it would be very much impossible.

What you do is... and I know this sound amazing... every time you get paid you take a part of it and put it in a "bank". These places called "banks" take your money and give it back when you ask for it, so you don't lose it. Then, when you want to upgrade again you take your "savings" out of the "bank" and use it to buy the product you want.

If they made some monthly payment thing for upgrades it would just end up costing you more money in the long run... like buying a car or a house.

lol netflix but insted of movies its for video cards.

im 9800XT is currently being shipped to me :) I doubt it will be outdated very soon.

I consider my previous GF2 to be outdated as of summer 2003. It will be a while before 9800's are "outdated".
But then again my GF2 was a DX7 card...GF4s I don't consider outdated though. I would buy one of those over some of the lower ATI cards out there for sure.

They were said to be out Spring around March/April although that was a month or more last I heard. It might be a safer bet to look to April/June assuming they arn't running into production problems.

Not sure why, but I'm looking forward more to nVidia's new line than ATi's: somehow I think they have more motivation. ATi know they rule the roost at the minute, while nVidia really have something to prove...

Yeah. If they prove they have performance/quality back and if ATI does not keep their drivers up todate with good drivers...We could shift back to Nvidia.

If you are weary of your ATI card becoming mainstream before it can be shipped, just remember ATI does have a Trade Up program...

iirc you can buy the new card at a trade in price, and they ship it to you first so you have no video down time. Then you send your card to them and that's it!

Back