Radical "G-Man Theory" [this might be long]

I

Illuminati

Warning, deep thought follows... please use extreme care when reading the following incoherent philosophical excrement:

Dear fellow Half-Life enthusiasts,
I, like you, have awaited Half-Life 2 with baited breath. Both philisophically and technologically, I have been expecting great things from Valve's latest.
Tonight, after doing a quick internet search of the most popular words (used on the intenet) starting with "G" I believe I have found the ultimate solution to the puzzle of the "G-man."
Understand that this theory is so radical, I do not believe that anyone, anywhere, EVER has theorized such a revolutionary idea, so I am attempting to take credit for it here and now.
If any of you read my "sticky-physics" thread, you know I'm long-winded, so I'd be doing a dishonor to my title if I didn't run on and on about the back story, so here it is.
At first, I thougth the G-man being Gordon in the future was a cool idea, but Valve has worked SO hard to establish Gordon as an open-ended character with his own motivation (the player's) and his own personality, that already dooming the player to a final destination would destroy all they had worked for, so I threw that theory out of the window.
Again, I sought the true nature of the "G-Man" through other theories, such as a "trans-galaxial being" that was seeking to use Gordon to modify the events of history to bend time to his own will. This theory sits rather well with me, except that I refuse to believe that the "G-Man" has the ability to stop all time, but not the ability to affect the past himself, rather, he uses Gordon affect it to his will. (I'm sorry, but if you can stop time, you ought to be able to launch a few energy balls into a portal.)
A few other theories involve the "G-Man" being Godron's father... SORRY GUYS, LUCAS ALREADY 'ESTABLISHED' THE "I AM YOUR FATHER' MARKET FOR SCI-FI.
And frankly, none of the other theories have impressed me enough (grammatically and otherwise) to warrant redisposition here, so, hence, I present my own theory.
(I was so invigorated by my realization that I decided to attempt to give you all the same sensation by allowing you to follow along with my thinking to the final result that I arrived upon. I challenge any of the other members of this board to disprove the following conclustion.)
None would doubt that the G-man has incredible power. Beyond the ability to transport Gordon hundreds of thousands of miles away from Xen to City 17, the G-man also has ultimate power of time and space, not to mention life and death.
Currently, on Earth, no human has power over time and space even a fraction of a degree that hte G-man has, so we can assume, at least for the moment, that the G-man is not human.
The next assumption might be that the G-man is the "God-Man" and has all the powers of a deity.
This theory is much harder to defend against, however, I can suffice it to say that in no part during the single-player experience, does the G-man impart any religious mission on the player. No pre-destiny nor the designation of a "soul" (according to Harvard religion scholars, the very prerequisite of a religous mission.) Honestly, who really sees the "G-man" as a religious figure?
Rather, I truely believe I have discorered the nature of the G-man's cause based on a few, inarguable facts:
1. The G-man is businesslike, and therefore, Capitalistic.
2. The G-man has established Gordon as a money (or some sort of profit)-making entity.
3. The G-Man has ultimate control over how much of the timeline Gordon will witness and participate in.
4. The G-Man is contracted by a higher calling to introduce Gordon into a situation that will benefit beings other than Gordon (his friends) and the G-Man.

The only possible explanation?
The "G-Man" stands for the "Game-Man." The G-Man represents the gaming industry and the hundreds of people who bring the events that occur in the creative minds of a few people into an experience that you (Gordon) can participate and affect.
The G-Man can stop time, end the storyline at any point he desires. You, Gordon, are at the mercy of the G-man to allow you to witness the events of the Half-Life world. When you have succeeded at the ultimate goal (the destruction of Breen) you are no longer an active part of the excitement that hooks the action gamer... you are no longer necessary... for the time being.
But so far, readers, you have just seen the tasty icing on the proverbial G-Man cake. The heart of the matter boils down to this, and I applaud Valve's honesty in portraying a character so quick to betray the dark nature of profit.
The G-Man sees Gordon (you, the player) as a profit-making entity. Vivendi and Sierra (as well as so many other publishing companies) have lost sight of what it means to bring a meaningful story to the game player. These companies now see you as simply another consumer to make a profit from, regardless of your own personal values or stakes. Regardless of the G-Man's ultimate intentions, you are helpless to aid him, because the very nature of your being (a gaming fan) is one who will consume their product and further their cause (profit.)

Anyway, thanks to those who decided to read all the way through my soapbox-standing raving-lunatic rant against big-corporations. Considering that Seattle (Valve's home office) is in the heart of Liberal Left-Wing Land (not meant as an insult) it wouldn't surprise me if many of their employees shared this insight.
But what do I know?

For those of you wondering "what I know" I'll supply the following information: I am a college educated man with a Bachelor's degree in Journalism with a strong emphasis on political science, sociology and philosophy. I am thrice divorced and live in a van down by the river.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear what you all have to say about my theory, as well as any challenges or holes you see in my theory. :cheers:

In response to this thread I would like to explain that, within my theory, Gordon is the last "Free Man" as in the fact that he is not controlled by Artificial Intelligence scripts, as every other entity in the game is.

Wow, I really enjoyed this... personally, I think Gordon is a moneymaking entity for the G-man/Valve :cheers:

It might go without saying, but I think it's obvious that the Rebellion represents Valve (with their revolutionary Steam distribution method). Also, Gordon (the player's) victory for the rebellion (Valve) still, in the end, manages to profit the G-man and his contractors.
[Seriously, there are SO many symbologies to this theory that I can't possibly list them all on here. A new one comes to me nearly every minute. Instead, post some problems with this theory. Nothing shows the strenght of a position than an attack against it.]

While you made your line of reasoning clear and expressed what you meant well, I'm hesitant to agree with your conclusion. It's obvious you're very intelligent, or at least know how to make yourself look like you are, but again, I may be completely off-base, but I don't agree fully.

Valve was clever in picking the letter. G is a very broadly-used letter, and without an explicit confirmation from Valve as to what "G-man" means, someone's intuition is the best guide to which theory is "correct".

I don't like the idea of him being an alien (it seems too clichè), and, haha, yes, Lucas grabbed the "I AM YOUR FATHER" line long ago. The theory that G-man is a deity is even worse than the alien theory in my eyes. The one remaining theory that I feel you didn't disprove was that G-man is Gordon in the future. If Valve was going to force you to make the decision at the end of the first game, I think making G-man future Gordon Freeman isn't a leap of faith. In fact, it makes perfect sense, and the only outcome it really "gives away" is that Gordon ends up living. And getting contacts.

Then again, I have less evidence to back up what I believe than you, and your theory is certainly more original. It just doesn't feel right to me, is all.

Cheers.

If it is full of symbology, what do each of the other charecters represent? Namely, Alyx, Kleiner, Mossimon, and Breen.

If Gordon is the G-man, then why would he talk to himself as if he is another entity and also why would he keep his past existence blind to his (the G-man's) reasoning? Also, the (G-man) seems to treat Gordon like a caged dog only meant for release when business is to be done. I don't think anyone would really treat themselves that way....you'd think he'd give himself all of the advantages possible for success. Also, what explains the continual hickups in speech as well as facial expressions of the G-man?

Good game since it just made me think of 3 or so questions in about 20 seconds......

Cecchino: I'm sorry, but I find your argument weak. Why does the military yell at you and take away your individuality? It's the most efficient, tried-and-true way to get things done.

It's almost like what Morpheus said in the Matrix: "She told you exactly what you needed to hear." The G-man, if he is Gordon, is simply doing what needs to be done.

Cecchino said:
If Gordon is the G-man, then why would he talk to himself as if he is another entity and also why would he keep his past existence blind to his (the G-man's) reasoning? Also, the (G-man) seems to treat Gordon like a caged dog only meant for release when business is to be done. I don't think anyone would really treat themselves that way....you'd think he'd give himself all of the advantages possible for success. Also, what explains the continual hickups in speech as well as facial expressions of the G-man?

Good game since it just made me think of 3 or so questions in about 20 seconds......

I agree, the g-man isn't Gordon. But you'd didn't give a good reason why... if I went back in the past, I wouldn't mind treating myself like crap... it's all in the past anyways! But, then again, the grandfather paradox from the end of the first...

Tantalus said:
If it is full of symbology, what do each of the other charecters represent? Namely, Alyx, Kleiner, Mossimon, and Breen.

Let me give this a shot...
PERHAPS (this is off the top of my head)

The characters you mentioned mean nothing. They are simply pawns, less important than anything else, besides being the motivation for Gordon to play out his role. To the G-Man, they mean nothing, they are simply the carrot at the end of the stick. He could not care if they live or die... whatever keeps Gordon moving in the direction that the G-man needs him to.

My whole theory really rises so far "above" (not to sound all high-and-mighty) traditional symbolism that the specific events and people don't even matter. All that matters is Gordon playing through the storyline in the only way the G-Man will allow. Failure to maintain a vehicle is punished in the exact same way as failure to maintain a life. A vehicle can be replace but a life cannot. Therefore, the G-man betrays his absolute rigidity in the storyline.

Hope that's not too complicated. Otherwise, here is another possibility that I don't buy into.

Alyx represents the heart and soul of the story, and probably, the writers. The people who decide the motivation and emotional context for the player.

Kleiner could easily represent (as well as Eli) the programmers and coders who bring the technology and physical reality to Gordon in an attempt to make the "experience" possible.

Mossimon might represent the "leak" of the game in that someone on the inside was betraying Valve's hard work. I have heard a few theories from friends in IT and most of them agree that if Valve had ANY kind of IT department, it would've been impossible for a leak to get out without SOME sort of interior betrayal.

Breen and the Combine could represent the necessary evil. Really, their characters aren't explored to great detail, a clue that it might not be important in the grand scheme. Rather, what they represent (antagonist) is more important than HOW they represent it.

But what do I know, I'm just a fat guy on a rocket.http://themaxx.com/offensive/pages/picpile/14264.php

What about, rather than in HL2, HL1, and rather than people, events? The Resonance Cascade, and in OpFo, the Marines against Gordon, then Ops against Marines... and the nuclear bomb...

lukrebu said:
Cecchino: I'm sorry, but I find your argument weak. Why does the military yell at you and take away your individuality? It's the most efficient, tried-and-true way to get things done.

It's almost like what Morpheus said in the Matrix: "She told you exactly what you needed to hear." The G-man, if he is Gordon, is simply doing what needs to be done.

They weren't even arguments.......just thoughts. Sorry, I didn't spend hours fleshing them out....they were responses to what i read.

And you're analogy to the military is equally "weak".......the "taking away of individuality" is only in reference to the natural human thoughts of "I" and "me", they do not take away your concept of self. By getting rid of the "I", and "me", it allows for teamwork to begin and the "We"/"us" mentality takes hold. And it is through the teamwork that things get done.......not the yelling and loss of individuality. The military wants thinking warriors...not drones. Also, the yelling is for a purpose of it's own......not to get rid of your individuality.

Too much alcohol was consumed before any of this was posted. I am going back to 6th Dimensional Space until it wears off :)

Very interesting, Illuminati. From what you say, I feel like I can take seriously the idea of symbolism and allegory in computer gaming. It can be a fully literate medium, and it's nice to see someone interpret it that way.

I think you need to make the distinction, though, between the game world and its symbolic meaning. Any way you cut it, everything that has been revealed so far fits into what appears to be a coherent artificial world. I think we can expect that, aside from his symbolic meaning, the Gman will also be in some way explicable from within the Half-Life universe.

I favor the "interdimensional businessman" theory, myself.

g-man is a representative of a higher order, we find that out at the end when he says that others are interested in gordon's services. in this way, g-man is the link between gordon and some higher entity who's motives and nature is completely unknown to us. all we know is that gordon got caught up with g-man after the resonance cascade back in black mesa. as gordon, you can see g-man before the event in some room, which suggests that the event itself was masterminded by g-man/his superiors. the fact that he's talking with a scientist before the event supports the idea that he was behind the scenes the whole time.

the fact that g-man appears to observe/monitor you during the game implies that he must have some sort of supernatural qualities, as he just appears and disappears without a trace (just before black mesa east on the dam) which leads me to conclude that he is not human at all, but perhaps a representative entity, or even a delusion, which would explain the endings of both half life titles.

I agreed with it almost, the fact that the world is in peril kinda discredits the idea that its a game - because these are peoples lives were talking about.

Well everyone seemed so happy putting theories about the G-man i decided to give it a shot.... :)

Maybe, (and I base mself in the fact that my table is facing north) G-man has no obscure meaning, maybe it's just a codename, like there are many agents named "X"-man either, the G-man is the one before H-man, and after F-man or the fact that he is the one aking care of Gordon, either way he is obviously controlled, "...I am really not in liberty to say... (HL2) ...my emploiers have authorized me to offer you a job...(HL1) " and his employers use your skills to change things, or just to test you "Let's see what that Gordon guy can do about this situation... call the G-man, and tell him to insert Gordon there for a couple of weeks or something" Who knows?
By the way, how come you jumped from being "OMG Gordon YOU screwed up the experiment!!!! YOU opened pandora's box!" to "OMG!!! You are Gordon 'Te free man' oh plz help us! Save us!" ??

ronron said:
g-man is a representative of a higher order, we find that out at the end when he says that others are interested in gordon's services. in this way, g-man is the link between gordon and some higher entity who's motives and nature is completely unknown to us. all we know is that gordon got caught up with g-man after the resonance cascade back in black mesa. as gordon, you can see g-man before the event in some room, which suggests that the event itself was masterminded by g-man/his superiors. the fact that he's talking with a scientist before the event supports the idea that he was behind the scenes the whole time.

the fact that g-man appears to observe/monitor you during the game implies that he must have some sort of supernatural qualities, as he just appears and disappears without a trace (just before black mesa east on the dam) which leads me to conclude that he is not human at all, but perhaps a representative entity, or even a delusion, which would explain the endings of both half life titles.

Wow, that was VERY original...

Moto-x_Pat said:
G-man stands for Government Man. ;)

That's just where valve (probably) got the name from... he certainly looked like an FBI agent in the first, but I really doubt that he actually does work for the government.

... This actually makes sense!

OmG you know how to think!

This really is one of the more fascinating questions in the game. It is central to the entire storyline and its answer would lead us to the end of Gordon Freeman and the HalfLife world as we know it.

I have read many theories and have subscribed to each of them at one point or another. The most popular seem to be the following:

*The G-Man is Gordon's Father
*The G-Man is an intergalactic businessman, most likely an alien.
*The G-Man is God
*The G-Man is Gordon himself

And now we have this latest theory put forth by Illuminati. Its thought out well, has a solid basis for its assumptions and is full of symbolic context that can lead to a myriad of other theories about characters, locations and even the weapons. It actually may not be far from what the developers at Valve were thinking. But that seems to me to be the "real world meaning" behind the story, Valve's little jab at the gaming industry. I think there is a dual "game meaning". One that may never be answered, similar to the origin and essence of the Monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

As I said earlier, my own ideas as to who is the G-Man are in a constant state of flux. Right now I am leaning to the theory that it may be Gordon himself. Except not in the sense that he (the G-Man) is an older future Gordon, but it is Gordon in the present. Maybe Gordon is not really Gordon and the G-Man is not really the G-Man. Maybe they are one powerful being with the Gordon personification representing good and the G-Man representing evil. For it seems to be the G-Man that brought the Combine upon the Earth.

Maybe Gordon/G-Man represents the duality of man. The good in humanity and the inhumanity of humanity. I guess we will all have to wait for Valve to tell us, if they ever do. Meanwhile I will keep playing their games and drinking the beer that seems to have disappeared from the bottle sitting here beside my keyboard. Which brings me to the end, for I must replenish that which maketh me strong.

The g-man is not Gordon. There is not proof, no way to back up.

And also, there is lots of proof why it ISN'T true. The grandfather paradox for one, the fact that Valve wan't YOU to be Gordon, and, if I recall (and I do) earlier someone from Valve said that this isn't true. Sorry, I have no idea who started this idea.

(And despite the popular belief, THEY DO NOT LOOK ALIKE!!!!!

I don't think Valve meant anything by calling him the G-man, it's because he looks like alot like a government agent, and even speaks like one (always tip toeing around the main subject, never giving you a straight answer). I would look too much into it, and...I REALLY hope that "Game-man" theory isn't true...it's just stupid...

Hmm... I like Illuminati's theory. It actually made me exclaim out loud, which was fun. I think that the real faces behind the events in the game have not made themselves known. There is a lot going on beneath the surface that we have not been priviliedged to. I think it's premature to make theories based on supposition. Still, you've got to laugh.

What about (and this has been stated in the 'Theories' thread but ill say it again. Some could say the G-man is an entity from another universe convieniently taking the form of a human because thats a form our puny earth brains can understand or its a universal shape(referense to the movie K-pax). In K-Pax, Kevin Spacey plays an "alien" and when asked to explain why he looks human, he makes a reference to a bubble being spherical because thats the universal shape. Just another freak theory to add to the rest ;)

Interesting theory Illuminati, makes complete sense.

I don't believe it though, I mean, all you say is unopposeable, I just don't want to believe it. It makes me feel violated.

Plus, if it were all about Gordon being the only thing that matters, explain the line of his speech in the ending when he talks about Alyx whilst picking lint off her shirt.

I don't really think any of the theories people have are true, Valve shall surprise us all.

Unless my suit wearing demi-crow theory is true. Bwahahah.

I really enjoyed reading the first post.... he supported his ideas/theories with reasons. Then came to a what seems to be a logical conclusion based on what is most likely possible and what is not possible. Pretty good. A lot of symoblism yes.. but symbolic stories are the most interesting ones. I don't think valve is capable of creating a rather simplistic or direct storyline with no twists and turns in it.... so it's very possible.

Psych Analystis, currently I am away from my gaming rig, and I'm connected to the internet through a stolen wireless signal on a buddy's borrowed laptop, so I can't replay the G-man's final speech... It will be a least Monday AM (Eastern) before I can hear the speech again.
Perhaps the G-man picking lint off of Alyx represents the consant "tweaking" of characters for the players enjoyment and or recognition?
Really, what this comes down to is the unearthly way the G-man appears and stops the events, to the complete powerlessness of Gordon, showing that Gordon has no real power to do anything other than participate, and frankly, once you boot up HL2, aren't you really powerless but to play though their scenarios when it comes down to it?
Sure, there are deathmatches and third party mods, but that's not what we're talking about here. Here, we're talking about STORYLINE and the parts that each character plays in it, as well as ourselves.
Listen, this theory doesn't disprove any other theory, as this one really establishes the "G-Man" in a role that is outside the storyline, so to speak. However, the more I explore the possibilities of the "G-Man" being a game controller, the more it seems to fit in. He might also be the Gorgonzola Man, a being created to spread peace, love and cheese across the world.
But what do I know? I'm just a fat guy on a rocket.

I've always pictured the G-Man similar to the Cigarette-Smoking Man from X-Files. Working with the whole alien conspiracy group but mostly just using it and very much having his own agenda. Although we haven't seen any indication that he has his own personal goals outside his employers', it could be the case. If there was a Half-Life movie I'd almost say that that actor would make the perfect G-Man.

Very interesting theory, that first post, though. Never would have thought of it.

Hurry up HL3!!

Illuminati said:
Warning, deep thought follows... please use extreme care when reading the following incoherent philosophical excrement:

Dear fellow Half-Life enthusiasts,
I, like you, have awaited Half-Life 2 with baited breath. Both philisophically and technologically, I have been expecting great things from Valve's latest.
Tonight, after doing a quick internet search of the most popular words (used on the intenet) starting with "G" I believe I have found the ultimate solution to the puzzle of the "G-man."
Understand that this theory is so radical, I do not believe that anyone, anywhere, EVER has theorized such a revolutionary idea, so I am attempting to take credit for it here and now.
If any of you read my "sticky-physics" thread, you know I'm long-winded, so I'd be doing a dishonor to my title if I didn't run on and on about the back story, so here it is.
At first, I thougth the G-man being Gordon in the future was a cool idea, but Valve has worked SO hard to establish Gordon as an open-ended character with his own motivation (the player's) and his own personality, that already dooming the player to a final destination would destroy all they had worked for, so I threw that theory out of the window.
Again, I sought the true nature of the "G-Man" through other theories, such as a "trans-galaxial being" that was seeking to use Gordon to modify the events of history to bend time to his own will. This theory sits rather well with me, except that I refuse to believe that the "G-Man" has the ability to stop all time, but not the ability to affect the past himself, rather, he uses Gordon affect it to his will. (I'm sorry, but if you can stop time, you ought to be able to launch a few energy balls into a portal.)
A few other theories involve the "G-Man" being Godron's father... SORRY GUYS, LUCAS ALREADY 'ESTABLISHED' THE "I AM YOUR FATHER' MARKET FOR SCI-FI.
And frankly, none of the other theories have impressed me enough (grammatically and otherwise) to warrant redisposition here, so, hence, I present my own theory.
(I was so invigorated by my realization that I decided to attempt to give you all the same sensation by allowing you to follow along with my thinking to the final result that I arrived upon. I challenge any of the other members of this board to disprove the following conclustion.)
None would doubt that the G-man has incredible power. Beyond the ability to transport Gordon hundreds of thousands of miles away from Xen to City 17, the G-man also has ultimate power of time and space, not to mention life and death.
Currently, on Earth, no human has power over time and space even a fraction of a degree that hte G-man has, so we can assume, at least for the moment, that the G-man is not human.
The next assumption might be that the G-man is the "God-Man" and has all the powers of a deity.
This theory is much harder to defend against, however, I can suffice it to say that in no part during the single-player experience, does the G-man impart any religious mission on the player. No pre-destiny nor the designation of a "soul" (according to Harvard religion scholars, the very prerequisite of a religous mission.) Honestly, who really sees the "G-man" as a religious figure?
Rather, I truely believe I have discorered the nature of the G-man's cause based on a few, inarguable facts:
1. The G-man is businesslike, and therefore, Capitalistic.
2. The G-man has established Gordon as a money (or some sort of profit)-making entity.
3. The G-Man has ultimate control over how much of the timeline Gordon will witness and participate in.
4. The G-Man is contracted by a higher calling to introduce Gordon into a situation that will benefit beings other than Gordon (his friends) and the G-Man.

The only possible explanation?
The "G-Man" stands for the "Game-Man." The G-Man represents the gaming industry and the hundreds of people who bring the events that occur in the creative minds of a few people into an experience that you (Gordon) can participate and affect.
The G-Man can stop time, end the storyline at any point he desires. You, Gordon, are at the mercy of the G-man to allow you to witness the events of the Half-Life world. When you have succeeded at the ultimate goal (the destruction of Breen) you are no longer an active part of the excitement that hooks the action gamer... you are no longer necessary... for the time being.
But so far, readers, you have just seen the tasty icing on the proverbial G-Man cake. The heart of the matter boils down to this, and I applaud Valve's honesty in portraying a character so quick to betray the dark nature of profit.
The G-Man sees Gordon (you, the player) as a profit-making entity. Vivendi and Sierra (as well as so many other publishing companies) have lost sight of what it means to bring a meaningful story to the game player. These companies now see you as simply another consumer to make a profit from, regardless of your own personal values or stakes. Regardless of the G-Man's ultimate intentions, you are helpless to aid him, because the very nature of your being (a gaming fan) is one who will consume their product and further their cause (profit.)

Anyway, thanks to those who decided to read all the way through my soapbox-standing raving-lunatic rant against big-corporations. Considering that Seattle (Valve's home office) is in the heart of Liberal Left-Wing Land (not meant as an insult) it wouldn't surprise me if many of their employees shared this insight.
But what do I know?

For those of you wondering "what I know" I'll supply the following information: I am a college educated man with a Bachelor's degree in Journalism with a strong emphasis on political science, sociology and philosophy. I am thrice divorced and live in a van down by the river.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear what you all have to say about my theory, as well as any challenges or holes you see in my theory. :cheers:

G-man is not "God-Man". He is "Government-man". The term 'G-man' is used on many people in terms of the suit and working for the government.

In my theroy, HL1 was a test for Gordon. HL2 was another test of loyalty and HL3 will actually be the mission.

Also, saying that the G-man is an alien is in my veiw wrong. In my theory, the Gman was like Gordon (Not IS Gordon). He survived an inident similar to Gordon's and was hired by his 'employers'. After the Gman passed his 3 tests (HL1, HL2 and HL3 for example. HE IS NOT GORDON I MUST SAY!) His employers were impressed and gave him the oppurtunity to be thier pawn but on a higher level.

Basically, Gordon is a pawn for the Gman as Gman is a pawn for his employers.

I am tired...

just gotta say to the g-man is gordon thing..i dont belive it myself but i can understand why he wouldnt tell his past self anything, to quote the matrix again "if i hadnt told you about the vase, would u not have broken it" or something along those lines..again i dont believe it tho, its a stupid theory...
danimal has a good point though, altho i think maybe hl1 was the test, hl2 the mission and hl3 the initiation (sp?)

Illuminati said:
Psych Analystis, currently I am away from my gaming rig, and I'm connected to the internet through a stolen wireless signal on a buddy's borrowed laptop, so I can't replay the G-man's final speech... It will be a least Monday AM (Eastern) before I can hear the speech again.
Perhaps the G-man picking lint off of Alyx represents the consant "tweaking" of characters for the players enjoyment and or recognition?
Really, what this comes down to is the unearthly way the G-man appears and stops the events, to the complete powerlessness of Gordon, showing that Gordon has no real power to do anything other than participate, and frankly, once you boot up HL2, aren't you really powerless but to play though their scenarios when it comes down to it?
Sure, there are deathmatches and third party mods, but that's not what we're talking about here. Here, we're talking about STORYLINE and the parts that each character plays in it, as well as ourselves.
Listen, this theory doesn't disprove any other theory, as this one really establishes the "G-Man" in a role that is outside the storyline, so to speak. However, the more I explore the possibilities of the "G-Man" being a game controller, the more it seems to fit in. He might also be the Gorgonzola Man, a being created to spread peace, love and cheese across the world.
But what do I know? I'm just a fat guy on a rocket.

Oh, I fully support your theory, I just don't want to believe it =P

It's all about the crows, man. You just watch, HL3 will be all about the G-Man taking on all the dimensional plains with his suit-wearing demi-crows, and Gordon will have to take them all down with a winchester rifle.
It'll be like duck hunt, with the suit crows, and Dog will be there in place of the classic duck hunt dog.

You know you're all looking forward to the sheer action fest that is HL3: Extradimensional Crow Hunt.

Seriously though, I do believe what you say to be right, as in the aspect of symbolism. The G-Man I'm pretty sure symbolizes all you speculate, but I'm pretty sure the story will unfurl in a different way.

the_mute said:
just gotta say to the g-man is gordon thing..i dont belive it myself but i can understand why he wouldnt tell his past self anything, to quote the matrix again "if i hadnt told you about the vase, would u not have broken it" or something along those lines..again i dont believe it tho, its a stupid theory...
danimal has a good point though, altho i think maybe hl1 was the test, hl2 the mission and hl3 the initiation (sp?)

Is this turning into Metal Gear now?

Back