Rag Doll Kung Fu Available Via Steam October 12th

Those of you who use IRC can visit the official channel #RagDollKungFu on QNet.:)
Nice bunch of people there.:D

I myself, have been following this game since it's announcement(Me is a big LionHead fan, and the guy who devs it work at LH), so this is great news for me.

Hope to see some of you at IRC.:)

The game is in 3D, just moving on a 2D plane...

I thought this game was gunna be free... which does suck, because it looks fun as a little time waster, but I doubt it's ever gunna be more than that.
I mean in theory if you got the standard package, then from that point of view, DoD will cost you 10 bucks, which is 2 less than this little thing.
Meh, I was really looking forward to playing this :(

I think i'm going to take the plunge and get it. $12.95 is a reasonable asking price and I'd like something that sounds a bit more "dip in, have fun". The only issue is whether I'm even going to have Steam when I get to Uni...

DuB said:
The game is in 3D, just moving on a 2D plane...

I thought this game was gunna be free... which does suck, because it looks fun as a little time waster, but I doubt it's ever gunna be more than that.
I mean in theory if you got the standard package, then from that point of view, DoD will cost you 10 bucks, which is 2 less than this little thing.
Meh, I was really looking forward to playing this :(
So, I think it's a good price, you do know this is a one-man project, right?
That means that this's been done by only one single person, so imo it deserves that price.:)

I'm buying it mainly to support steam as a distribution-channel. If sufficient people pay for it then VALVe are going to be more aggressive in their marketing towards third-party developers, which is what I want (I'm a huge steam-fan).

For a one-man side-project the price is steep, but 13 bucks is nothing in my economy and I know I will get more entertainment out of this game than I would spending 13 bucks any other way (going to the movies+popcorn+soda>13 bucks).

.bog. <3 steam

To me, it's only slightly more than a trip to the increasingly overpriced Cinema. Even if I get only 2 hours of good gameplay out of it, it'll be more fun than the last 3 films I've seen....

I'll probably try the demo then make a decision. It looks interesting enough, but I'm not entirely sure whether it's my particular cup of tea tbh (I'm more FPS/adventure games orientated). However I think it's a positive thing to see the first non Source/HL2 related game make an appearance via steam. Hopefully it will prove a successful venture and encourage further developers to try their hand.

I'm gonna get this game - it's the price of a movie and I imagine it'll keep me amused for much longer. I love games that try something new, go for something different, and to see this in a production game is a rare treat indeed (I'm a big fan of things like the indie gaming jam, where people do this kinda thing all the time, but it's limited to mini games). I bought Uplink and Darwinia, and I will buy this. Plus I don't have to get off my ass to aquire a new game, which is nice.

polyguns said:
to play via steam on 56k is too much of a pain in the ass.

That's like complaining that you can't see new shiny graphics because you don't have a modern graphics card. To be honest, using the internet on 56k is a pain in the ass - you are expected to be on broadband and I appreciate that for some people this is not yet possible, but you're going to have to face facts - people do not account for 56k'ers anymore. I have no sympathy for that argument against steam.

Ghroth said:

I've put more hours into "N" (by Metanet software, for those who want to google it) than I have into most production 3D games... not to mention StarCraft and Rise of Nations, which stand up pretty well to their 3D competition. I think it's pretty stupid to generalise like that.

Im deffinatly going to buy ths game, after watching the gdc video, i am in awe. This man is a genious to have created such an innotive game. The humour in it is just brillient and the controlling system is very funky. Cant wait to get it.

Wish i could write C++

Chris_D said:
And Steam stops you from doing this, how?

Go to another PC, log in with your Steam account, download it, take it home and play it...

well, can you do that? im scared to log onto steam on anothe computer, they may think im sharing my account, ill read the eula first. I don't want my account quelshed or i couldn't use the sdk at all.

i reakon if it installs a simple executable file, that would be no problem, but then you could simply reupload it and pirate the crap out of it.

If its anything like backing your steam files then its more trouble then its worth.

zorfrex, i don't need your sympathy. theres PLENTY of games i can buy and play and have craploads of fun other then games over steam. its not a big deal on my end not playing steam games or downloading or buying them, Its their loss, not mine, i can easily spend my money elsewhere. All im trying to say is make backups for like you say the other people who don't have bb, so they can go into that market. I don't ever play mp anyways unless its console with my friends. i like the sp story driven experience in games

polyguns said:
well, can you do that? im scared to log onto steam on anothe computer, they may think im sharing my account, ill read the eula first. I don't want my account quelshed or i couldn't use the sdk at all.
They're fine with it so long as you don't use the account simultaneously on two machines. Like how you're legally allowed to back up any data you buy, so long as the backup (or original) is never put into use whilst the other is.

ZoFreX said:
That's like complaining that you can't see new shiny graphics because you don't have a modern graphics card. To be honest, using the internet on 56k is a pain in the ass - you are expected to be on broadband and I appreciate that for some people this is not yet possible, but you're going to have to face facts - people do not account for 56k'ers anymore. I have no sympathy for that argument against steam.
It's true, but spare a thought for those who don't have broadband available to them. As someone who waited an age for BT to deliver, I appreciate how easy it is to forget that there are still people who can't get Broadband... but for those of you have actually have the choice, there is very little in the way of excuse - aside from parents who are difficult to convince. Broadband is basically as (in)expensive a month as dialup now.

a game that costs 13$ and is primarily 2D in comparison to games like sven coop2, which is free, is what makes this game potentialy disasterous

props to it being the first non valve game to be published across steam

that alone is worth alot of praise, but the game itself isnt what i look for in a game that i pay for

i dont have momy and daddy buying my computers and games so i tend to be critical of what people want my money for

but your right i should try the demo before i whine about it, my bad

what you need to remember is that it's not "another fighting game", most (all?) of you have never played anything like this before
I think $13 is very cheap for a completely new game experience

Gargantou said:
So, I think it's a good price, you do know this is a one-man project, right?
That means that this's been done by only one single person, so imo it deserves that price.:)
The single man project isn't really an argument for a price. I am aware that it is a single man project. But there are many single man full conversion mods of very high quality for other platforms that have remained free.
My concern for spending cash on the game, is the type of game it seems to be.
As said, it looks like a fun time waster for a couple of minutes when you have a mate around or something similar, which is not something I'd tend to spend my cash on.
I've not read that there will be a demo released... but I'd be more willing to part with any cash of mine, if the demo is spectacular.
Credit where credits due, he's no doubt done a very good job on doing most of this on his own, and in his limmited spare time and should be rewarded for that, but I dunno if this is for me.

But there are many single man full conversion mods of very high quality for other platforms that have remained free.
One-man total conversions have a little less work to do. They already have an engine. This game's engine is a custom job built by one man in his spare time. I say that warrents a £7 price tag

polyguns said:
One of the main advantages of Steam is that your Steam account is your proof of purchase of the games. That means your Steam account can be used anywhere in the world to play the games that you own (or update them).

So it's perfectly legal, in fact, it's encouraged.

kupoartist said:
Broadband is basically as (in)expensive a month as dialup now.

I finally convinced my mum to get it when BT Yahoo! pricematched broadband with dialup, and yes, I know some people through no fault of their own can't get it, but like I said - a large number of services no longer put a lot of consideration for dial up users, Valve are not the only people to forget about that market share.

Ghroth said:
a game that costs 13$ and is primarily 2D in comparison to games like sven coop2, which is free, is what makes this game potentialy disasterous

I don't suppose it's occured to you that the vast majority of fighting games (which you're expected to pay full-retail price for) are essentially a 2D plane in a 3D scene, just like this (I know you can side step in SCII etc but that's just rotating the plane), and what's more, they're a hell of a lot less original than this - $12 for an original, fun game versus $45.95 for the latest installment of Tekken? (the imaginatively named Tekken 5, source: amazon.com)

Back