RAM confusion

KingPing_NOR

Reaction score
Im going to buy 512MB of RAM. But there are so many numbers and so on. I already have 256MBs of ram.
I checked what i have un the program AIDA32, that lets you see all info about your PC.

It says under Motherbord section:
Bus Type: DDR SDRAM
Bus Width: 64-bit
Real Clock: 133MHz(DDR)
Effective Clock:237MHz
Bandwidth: 2133MB/s

Then on the Memory Slots(the RAM chip i already have):
DRAM Slot #1: 256MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

There wasn't anything usefull writing on the RAM chip.

So do i buy RAM under this section: http://prisguide.hardware.no/vis_ka...D=683&sortering=min_price&ppp=25&submit=S%F8k
Since its DDR RAM and PC2100?

Or here: http://prisguide.hardware.no/vis_ka...D=692&sortering=min_price&ppp=25&submit=S%F8k
Since its SDRAM and it says 133. Which i presume is the Real Clock: 133MHz

Im so confused.

ow, and i live in Norway, so i cant order from other countrys. ;(

the only real important thing [besides mb and ddr] is the PCxxxx.

the PCxxxx represents the speed of the ram.

PC3200 = 400 mhz.
PC2700 = 333 mhz.

and so on.

don't go for anything lower than pc3200/400mhz. just make sure your motherboard supports it.

destrukt said:
the only real important thing [besides mb and ddr] is the PCxxxx.

the PCxxxx represents the speed of the ram.

PC3200 = 400 mhz.
PC2700 = 333 mhz.

and so on.

don't go for anything lower than pc3200/400mhz. just make sure your motherboard supports it.

Nope you're partly wrong.

He said normal DDR and SDRAM. He HAS SDRAM, meaning he can't use DDR. You need to get SDRAM.

But it says i already have a PC2100 DDR SDRAM.
And dont i have to buy the same as i already have?

I have sdram and I want to check if my mobo supports DDR, what software do I need to check?

Your memory is just what it says.
256MB PC2100 (266MHz effective)
That is what you need to match. The memory you buy needs to be able to run at PC2100. You can buy another PC2100 stick or you can buy PC2700. If you double check and make sure it's compatible you might even be able to buy PC3200.

Info:
There are two types of DIMMs.
SDRAM and
DDR SDRAM (or DDR for short)

SDRAM comes in PC66/100 or 133 (PC number reflects the speed or MHZ it runs at)
DDR comes in PC1600/2100/2700 or 3200 (PC number reflects the bandwidth and not the speed)
The actual speed is similar to SDRAM but because it is Double Data Rate you take it times 2 and get the effective rate (200/266/333 or 400MHz).

MaxiKana said:
Nope you're partly wrong.

He said normal DDR and SDRAM. He HAS SDRAM, meaning he can't use DDR. You need to get SDRAM.

ddr ram is effectively called ddr sdram, people just say ddr because it's shorter and easier to note the difference . . .

Ok thank you, very helpfull. But. now i wounder what product form factor(or similar, only know the word i norwegian).
It says: ECC/ECC-REG/SO-DIMM.

In the program it says i under mobo physical info that i have 3 DIMM RAM slots. Does this mean i have to buy SO-DIMM?

You do not want ECC (Error Checking and Correction) or REG (Registered) memory. SO-DIMM's are for laptops.

The memory you want will be non-ECC, unbuffered (non-registered) DDR (184pin) memory. It should be the standard sized memory with 1 notch off center.
Like this (US site).

Back