RAM? I think so.

Demolition

Reaction score
I just recent upgraded my graphic card from a 64mb Intergrated Graphic card to a nVidia Geforce 5200 256mb. That smoothed out a lot of the graphics on the game but it is still very chopping when a lot of shit is going on. I only have 256mb of ram. Do you think getting a stick of 512mb would fix this problem. My Pc has all the requirements for playing the game I think cept for the RAM...any thoughts.

It would certainly help a great deal with loading times, but it does not necessarily boost overall FPS (frames per second). Your card or your cpu is slowing you down with loads of action.

I have a 1.8 GHz processor. it's an old computer haha it use to be pro. but I'm going to get a stick of 512 ram. and see what happens

newegg.com has the cheapest ram correct? I found a stick of 512mb for like 50.99. i have SDRAM not DDR and I have 168pin...so i have limited resources for ram. and I only have 2 rams lots. one has a 256 and the other is empty! hopefully when i go to college i get a custom desktop! and a crappy laptop for class

get a new computer. a 5200 card like you've got can run HL2 but you need a pretty decent processor to back it up, and definitely at least 512mb ram overall.

get a new computer. a 5200 card like you've got can run HL2 but you need a pretty decent processor to back it up, and definitely at least 512mb ram overall.

W0rd. I'm getting a dual core system, E6600 with 2 gigs of ram, a free XFX 7950 512mb xtreme and a new sound card :naughty:

Both the 256 RAM and the 1.8 CPU are reasons for slowdown when a lot of stuff is going on. That said, if you get an extra 512 MB stick, the game should run smoothly on medium settings, with slight slowdowns in a few larger battles towards the end.

guys if I could afford a new CPU I would get one. I got to wait till graduation. Then I'm building a custom one. I already got my wish list out. This will be able to run almost everything game i want to at the moment

Case: Uknown model (420watts of stock power)
CPU: nVidia sli mother board with pci-e slots
harddrive: 2.5 terabite harddrive (for my video editing)
ram: 4gb of kinston ram
power supply: 500watt
graphic card 1: nVidia Geforce 7900GTX 1gb
graphic card 2: same as one

and that's all the important things! I also have a cooling unit that is liquid coolant with 4 pc fans that fit into the case...it's pretty much an amazing computer....for less then $2,000

also this computer im on right now is the family one so I ain't too worried about upgrading it when im going to be gone in a year! haha i just bought a graphic card to run f.e.a.r. and half life 2! f.e.a.r. dont work but hl2 does...i need a bigger card for f.e.a.r. but im over it...i can run doom3 and cs:source tho so im an alltogether happy camper

oh and the processor to go with that pc is so far going to be either an

intel duo 2.96Ghz or an AMD 64 5200 dual....so

You do realise you can't buy 2.5 terabyte drives just yet, don't you? And I'm not sure that even video editing needs that much right now. Anyhow, you're better off installing several large hard drives.

1GB video cards are a total waste of money, particularly in SLI at this point. Currently, games can barely use 512 MB of video memory. Well, actually, most games can't - there's no improvement in looks or performance going from 256 to 512 MB for most games. But 512 MB can now be useful for Doom3 or some high-res texture packs. Not to mention that, when running SLI, your driver will split the data on CPU-level, giving each card a part of the data for its rendering (well, that's the whole point). Having 1GB cards there right now is a waste because you will not be using even half of that memory - there's no way you'll fill 1GB on one of the SLI cards.

And it's not really that future-proof as a solution. Of course, in a few years, there will be games that can benefit from 1GB video cards. However, by that time, the 7900GTX will suck as far as the other hardware goes - specifically, its core GPU speed will be low by then and, more importantly, it won't have the then-standard DirectX10 features.

wow you do realize on alienware.com they have 2.5 terabite harddrives in the new area 51 pc. so go update your info! and who gives a crap what graphic cards i want! your pc can never be TOO GOOD! so get it out of your head. Who cares if I have dual 1gb cards. what is it to you! it's not your money! so dont worry about it! it's not mine either! it's my family's gift to me for graduatin!which is next june! so...:afro:

In that case, it might be a good idea for you to work on your manners a little bit. If you post what PC you want to get, it's not exactly wise or polite to attack someone who tries to give comments/advice.

sorry! haha I was kind of in a bad mood! girlfriend yelling at me! but I do understand what you mean by the 1gb graphic cards! I wouldnt trufully put them in a pc! because I would never use them! dual 256 would be enough!. but I really have to thank you fro putting the whole DirectX10 perspective in my mind! because i'm sure all the graphic cards with in the next year are going to have to have directx10 rather then 9...

so thanks for the advise and sorry for my earlier comment...

sorry! haha I was kind of in a bad mood! girlfriend yelling at me! but I do understand what you mean by the 1gb graphic cards! I wouldnt trufully put them in a pc! because I would never use them! dual 256 would be enough!. but I really have to thank you fro putting the whole DirectX10 perspective in my mind! because i'm sure all the graphic cards with in the next year are going to have to have directx10 rather then 9...

so thanks for the advise and sorry for my earlier comment...

they will all have direct x10 and below not just dx 10 by itself

I know but if i get a card now it will support DX9 not 10! So I said I would wait a bit longer to get a custom pc so that my graphic card runs Dx10 and lower. I never said it would ONYL run dx10! i ment i wouuldnt be able to run dx10 if i get a dx9 card now...

I totally see why this is in the HL2 forum, and not the Hardware forum....

Oh I'm behind on my time. I thought DX10 wasent out yet! Sorry =P haha

umm for my knowledge the 8800s are out? i might be wrong btu on alienware.com you can throw them into an aurora desktop

Mind you, the first DirectX10 cards are going to be out real soon. Might be a good idea to wait for them to be released, then wait another month or so for the price to drop at least a bit (unless you're swimming in money or really want it now:)), and then indeed buy, like, a 8800. Oh, a quick search shows they're already out, apparently.

The hardware reviews seem to indicate that a 8800 is much faster than the 7900. Therefore, particularly given its DX10 support, buying one 8800 is probably a better deal than getting two 7900s. The beast runs Episode One, with everything enabled and at highest settings, at 2560x1600 resolution, with 45 FPS. Imagine that.

If you want memory, get a 8800 GTX, that has a whopping 768 MB. And it costs some 600 USD!

EDIT: Hehe yes, indeed they're out, were released a few days ago. Here's hoping the price will drop in a few weeks. I probably won't be buying one of those anyway :).

This started out as a half life convo! if you would look back to the first posts. so dont bust our chops for changing the subject! considering this is in the right section!

i swear to god ppl just sit on here and find things that are in the wrong serction and report it.

I just recent upgraded my graphic card from a 64mb Intergrated Graphic card to a nVidia Geforce 5200 256mb. That smoothed out a lot of the graphics on the game but it is still very chopping when a lot of shit is going on. I only have 256mb of ram. Do you think getting a stick of 512mb would fix this problem. My Pc has all the requirements for playing the game I think cept for the RAM...any thoughts.
You barely mentioned an -unspecified- game ("the game"), just to justify posting in the HL2 forum. Not even the Valve games help forum. Even IF you had specifically mentioned HL2, your post is clearly a RAM question, and that has nothing to do with discussing HL2.

You barely mentioned an -unspecified- game ("the game"), just to justify posting in the HL2 forum. Not even the Valve games help forum. Even IF you had specifically mentioned HL2, your post is clearly a RAM question, and that has nothing to do with discussing HL2.

Dude i've talked to the controlers of this forum nd they laugh at you!! this is aloud in the HL2 forum! read the subnote under the forum! it shows clearly that this is aloud in this foruM! so get a life and hunt someone else down for using the forum wrong :sniper: pwnd

Haha, that's really true.
QFE

EDIT:
Dude i've talked to the controlers of this forum nd they laugh at you!! this is aloud in the HL2 forum! read the subnote under the forum! it shows clearly that this is aloud in this foruM! so get a life and hunt someone else down for using the forum wrong :sniper: pwnd

Let me rephrase him:
"Dude, I've talked to the controllers of this forum, and they started to laugh at you! This is aloud in the HL2 Forum! Read the subnote under the forum! It clearly shows that this is aloud in this Forum, so get a life and hunt someone else down for using the wrong forum."

Your welcome.

Let me rephrase him:
"Dude, I've talked to the controllers of this forum, and they started to laugh at you! This is aloud in the HL2 Forum! Read the subnote under the forum! It clearly shows that this is aloud in this Forum, so get a life and hunt someone else down for using the wrong forum."

Your welcome.
I read this text aloud and LOLed.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.
If you really want to get the best of the best, go for dual or quad processor cores. They're surprisingly cheap and effective. The next batch of games will utilize multiple cores for better AI and game features, while DirectX 10 will give the graphical prowess.

this is aloud in the HL2 forum! read the subnote under the forum! it shows clearly that this is aloud in this foruM! so get a life and hunt someone else down for using the forum wrong :sniper: pwnd
Read the subnote? OK :
HL2 Forum "subnote" said:
Discuss all general aspects of Half-Life 2.
Discuss HL2. NOT Ram. "pwnd" (to use your kiddies term). Just admit your mistake, apologise for attempting to troll/flame me, and move on with your life.
Dude i've talked to the controlers of this forum nd they laugh at you!!
"Dude", I talked to you parents, and they laugh at you. So does the rest of the trailer park, I'm told.

Demolition, with that ultra-high-class spec you mentioned, you might, just *might*, be able to run Unreal 3. :naughty:

Demolition, with that ultra-high-class spec you mentioned, you might, just *might*, be able to run Unreal 3. :naughty:

umm completely off topic but..whatever..

I will be utilizing the dual core processors when I get my new pc. I'm ordering my processor in about a week. I'm going to order the AMD 64 x2 5200 dual core. so thats a 2.6GHZ x2. i believe so that will be a 5.2GHz. so...that should be good enough. I should have all my parts for my PC by Christmas! I'm getting a Thermasheild Armor Jr case in Black with blue neon lights from my mom and my dad is getting me another video card. I got one right now I have a nVidia 7600 gtx 512

Read the subnote? OK :

Discuss HL2. NOT Ram. "pwnd" (to use your kiddies term). Just admit your mistake, apologise for attempting to troll/flame me, and move on with your life.

"Dude", I talked to you parents, and they laugh at you. So does the rest of the trailer park, I'm told.

I think you need to move on to your life considering your quoting everything I say which basically is stalking my words. How old are you? I mean I'm young so I guess I have time to grow up. you seem to be a bit older. So get a life yourself. I'll work on one when I atleast reach 18 (in 3 months)

Q:If u have a slower prosscesor but alot of ram and a good video card will it even it out? ( i have a 256mg ati video card and about 2 gigs of ram?)

well man if you have a 256mg video card...that is so advanced. never heard of a mg...haha...jk..ummm your processor is pretty much the most important thing! you cannot run a 1.2GHz processor for hl2 with an AMAZING graphic card and alot of ram! because your processor has to back up your card and ram..so i guess it depends on your processor size.

I think you need to move on to your life considering your quoting everything I say which basically is stalking my words. How old are you? I mean I'm young so I guess I have time to grow up. you seem to be a bit older. So get a life yourself. I'll work on one when I atleast reach 18 (in 3 months)

'Stalking your words'?

This is what you came up with to defend and explain why you made this topic in the HL2 discussion forum. And "stalking my words"? AAAAHAHAhahaa. Are you trying to write an emo love letter? Quoting is a tool that almost all forums have, so that there can be no mistake as to whom you are talking to, and what you are talking about. My six-year-old son has more of a grasp on communication (and spelling / grammer) than you.

Nice to see you might try and "get a life" as you put it, after you are 18, (although you will STILL be just another teen). Not surprising that you don't seem to have had one so far, but good luck with that.

Just admit you put this thread in the wrong forum, stop trying to troll / flame me (it's just getting sad now anyway) and move on. You have not been discussing HL2 in here at all, you have been discussing hardware.

Why do I care where you posted it? Because it is annoying when someone is too stupid or too arrogant to post in the correct forum, like the rules somehow don't apply to them. What is even worse, is when it is a "help me with..." thread, and then THEY get sh*tty and abusive when someone points their mistake out to them.

Back