RAM not all it's cracked up to be?

Leonard

Reaction score
I just recieved most of the new system that I mad an earlier thread about. Here are the specs:

AMD XP64 3500+ 90nm
Gigabyte K8n-XP SLI
ATI Radeon X800 XL
WD Raptor 74GB 10K RPM
380W PSU

Unfortunately, my RAM was on back order (Corsair PC3200, 1GB) so i was forced to transfer my old RAM into my new machine (512K DDR 333 PC 2700).

So far ALL of my games so far (Doom3, HL2, Joint Ops, RTW) run flawlessly on max settings (above MAX on CS:S).

I hosted a server at a lan party in CS:S with 20 bots, and let me say, with the right tweaks you can get some interesting results!
Pileup.jpg

Could it be that fast RAM is not as important as everybody thinks?

Its not so much that speed is essental, but the ammount. Try going back to a 32MB system and watch it crawl.

Since your using the old ram in your new system, which is PC2700, The reason your getting good performance from it, is because your overclocking it beyond its original FSB.
Since as far as I know, All AMD 64 processors require PC3200, you are currently running the old PC2700 as PC3200.
The performance increase is probably coming from the increased bandwidth, that the overclocking gives.

You will find that the new 1GB gives better performance when loading large textures, when running games at their maximum settings.

I read somewhere that games like Farcry, will use over 700mb of free resources when running at their maximum settings, this is why on a system with only 512mb ram, farcry can "chug" a bit when using max settings.

Athlon 64's don't require PC3200. I am also running PC2700. They use a ratio (6:6 is PC3200, 5:6 is PC2700) to control the memory speed vs the 200MHz bus speed.

The difference you would see between different memory speeds is about the same as you would if you bumped your CPU up to the next model of the same CPU series (give or take some depending on the app). You can do without the extra boost but it's there in numbers. Which means it's not apparent most of the time when playing. Unless you are on that edge between lag and smooth gameplay. Which is one reason why ppl OC. ;)

Plus differences in RAM won't show too much in-game, that's why they put ram ON the vid card.

Try running CPU intensive apps like adobe programs and the like, you'll see a much larger difference.

PunisherUSA said:
Try running CPU intensive apps like adobe programs and the like, you'll see a much larger difference.
Yep, very true.

Wow, I had no idea about any of this! Thanks for the responses!

Asus said:
Athlon 64's don't require PC3200. I am also running PC2700. They use a ratio (6:6 is PC3200, 5:6 is PC2700) to control the memory speed vs the 200MHz bus speed.

The difference you would see between different memory speeds is about the same as you would if you bumped your CPU up to the next model of the same CPU series (give or take some depending on the app). You can do without the extra boost but it's there in numbers. Which means it's not apparent most of the time when playing. Unless you are on that edge between lag and smooth gameplay. Which is one reason why ppl OC. ;)

Well you learn something new everyday!

I'm still a little confused about some of the settings in the bios for my motherboard though, Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about these things "Asus", then maybe your the person to ask,

My Board as specified in my sig, Has settings for..

Memclock mode..Auto or Limit (on limit at the moment)

Memclock to CPU Ratio ..1:1 (DDR 200), 4:3 (DDR266), 5:3 (DDR333) and 2:1 (DDR400) Currently on 2:1 (DDR400).

DDR clock Delay ..Auto, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ...Currently on Auto.

Would I be getting the best performance from my current settings, or is there something I can "tweak" for better performance?

Hi I've got a similar system to yours and tho I'm having my own BIOS woes, I'll tell you what I think your present memclock settings are- 2:1 DDR400 is what I've got it set to, but I've got 1GB TWINXMS 3200C2PRO paired RAM(2x512), meaning I get the bonus of running in dualDDR mode- unless you are running dual DDR then you'll need to set the memclock to the speed or your RAM (200). Obviously you are using the same memory as me, the only difference being that mine is tested to run in in dual mode before it is sold. However that doesn't mean you won't be able to run in dual mode only that it is not garaunteed that it will work! (also usually depends on the size and placing of memory in motherboard)

oni_666 said:
My Board as specified in my sig, Has settings for..

Memclock mode..Auto or Limit (on limit at the moment)

Memclock to CPU Ratio ..1:1 (DDR 200), 4:3 (DDR266), 5:3 (DDR333) and 2:1 (DDR400) Currently on 2:1 (DDR400).

DDR clock Delay ..Auto, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ...Currently on Auto.
Link
I'd probably just leave it as is. ;)

smsKONG said:
Hi I've got a similar system to yours and tho I'm having my own BIOS woes, I'll tell you what I think your present memclock settings are- 2:1 DDR400 is what I've got it set to, but I've got 1GB TWINXMS 3200C2PRO paired RAM(2x512), meaning I get the bonus of running in dualDDR mode- unless you are running dual DDR then you'll need to set the memclock to the speed or your RAM (200). Obviously you are using the same memory as me, the only difference being that mine is tested to run in in dual mode before it is sold. However that doesn't mean you won't be able to run in dual mode only that it is not garaunteed that it will work! (also usually depends on the size and placing of memory in motherboard)

Actually my ram is exactly the same as yours, I too have the TwinX, essentially 2 x512mb sticks, tested to run in dual channel mode (on compatible boards of course).

What you don't say though, is what system you have.
Since socket 754 cpu's have only a single channel memory controller in built into the chip, they are not compatible with dual channel mode, The TwinX ram works fine, but the cpu & the board don't have the necessary capabilities to take advantage of the dual channel memory.

Unless your system is Socket 939, or a Pentium 4 that can run dual channel memory, then even with TwinX memory, you'll only be running your TwinX as single channel.

I thought, Dual channel, required the memory placed into certain slots too, if your board has 3 slots like mine, then from what people had said in the past, one stick needed to be in slot 1 and the other in slot 3.

But from what I've read recently, In Custom PC and Pc Extreme magazines, You could have 3 slots filled with the same size ram sticks, e.g. 256mb, 512mb or 1GB sticks in either slot 1, 2 or 3, And your system would still run in dual channel mode.

As long as your cpu & board is capable of running dual channel memory, And the ram is all the same size, It will run Dual channel.
(Which is silly really, cos "dual" means two).

oni_666 said:
Actually my ram is exactly the same as yours, I too have the TwinX, essentially 2 x512mb sticks, tested to run in dual channel mode (on compatible boards of course).

What you don't say though, is what system you have.
Since socket 754 cpu's have only a single channel memory controller in built into the chip, they are not compatible with dual channel mode, The TwinX ram works fine, but the cpu & the board don't have the necessary capabilities to take advantage of the dual channel memory.

Unless your system is Socket 939, or a Pentium 4 that can run dual channel memory, then even with TwinX memory, you'll only be running your TwinX as single channel.

I thought, Dual channel, required the memory placed into certain slots too, if your board has 3 slots like mine, then from what people had said in the past, one stick needed to be in slot 1 and the other in slot 3.

But from what I've read recently, In Custom PC and Pc Extreme magazines, You could have 3 slots filled with the same size ram sticks, e.g. 256mb, 512mb or 1GB sticks in either slot 1, 2 or 3, And your system would still run in dual channel mode.

As long as your cpu & board is capable of running dual channel memory, And the ram is all the same size, It will run Dual channel.
(Which is silly really, cos "dual" means two).

Hehe it's ok I'm using a socket 939 mobo that supports dual channel and I leave most of my settings on auto cos I've NO IDEA what they do ( only changed the memclock to limit- 2:1 and CAS latency/tRCD/tRP/tRAS to 2.5/3/3/6 respectively)

Run a 3d benchmark before you install the new ram and afterwards.

I bet there will be a signifigant difference.

Back