RAM Upgrade to 2GB

PrimeSuspect

Reaction score
Im thinking about updating my computer to 2gb of ram. I have 4 slots on my MSI motherboard and on each slot there is 512mb of ram. So that means i have two slots left.

I was looking at the Newegg.com site and they have cheap RAM compared to the ones they sale at compusa store. The RAM i have on my computer is made by "PNY Technologies". Heres what i found at Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

and if u look at the COMPUSA store site its very expensive..

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...200&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=pny 3200&Dx=mode matchall

My question is can i trust this newegg.com site? I never ordered computer stuff from online. And what do u think i should get? Two 512 PNY of RAM(that means filling up ALL 4 of my slots) or 1GB(which i will have 1 slot empty).

Please help me out :).

Specs
AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.21ghz
1gig RAM, 160 gb space
ATI Radeon x850
WinXp, 6 fans inside, 400 watt Antec psu.

Yeah, Newegg is a really reliable place to order from, very fast and cool-like. Its where I, as well as a lot of other people, get their computer stuff. Aand about the RAM, I guess you should get 2 more 512s rather than the 1gb.

What's the maximum amount of RAM that your motherboard can hold? If it's only 2GB then you'll wanna get two 512s. Some would go for multiple 512s as technically you should get higher performance on four sticks compared to 2 or 3. I'd say if it only supports 2GB then go for another two 512MB. If it supports more than that then go for a 1GB stick, that way it will be cheaper to upgrade again at a later date when you buy another stick of RAM for the spare slot.

NewEgg.com is good as far as I know. I've heard a lot of Americans talking about it so I think it's good.

Although I've never bought from Newegg, I've heard excellent things about them. If you read reviews about almost any product, there will be comments about the fast shipping.

Chris_D said:
What's the maximum amount of RAM that your motherboard can hold? If it's only 2GB then you'll wanna get two 512s. Some would go for multiple 512s as technically you should get higher performance on four sticks compared to 2 or 3. I'd say if it only supports 2GB then go for another two 512MB. If it supports more than that then go for a 1GB stick, that way it will be cheaper to upgrade again at a later date when you buy another stick of RAM for the spare slot.

NewEgg.com is good as far as I know. I've heard a lot of Americans talking about it so I think it's good.

im not sure whats the maximum it can hold. But my motherboard is a KT6 Delta MSI-6590 (v2.X) ATX Mainboard.

http://www.nomadshop.ch/assets/s2dm...p.ch/mainboard/socketa/50025295400e56c76.html

From what I've found on MSI's website it will support upto 3GB.

Similar scenario. If you want the supposed performance increase by filling up all your bays with 512MB sticks then do that. If you wanna leave some slots free for future upgrades then just buy a 1GB stick. This will leave one slot free where you can upgrade at a later date with another 1GB stick giving you the maximum 3GB RAM supported.

i would just get rid of the 2 512 sticks and get 2 1 gigs sticks

i have the same dilemma atm too, i was thinking of upgrading to 2 gigs, atm i have 2 512 sticks of ddr2 ram, so 1 gig, with 2 slots left, max ram i can take is 4 gigs, if i wanted to upgrade should i just get 2 1 gigs sticks(which might be a tad expensive tbh) or could i just a 1 gig stick and add it leaving 1 slot free or would that not be technically possible? you haveto the right sizes together right?

it would seem a waste to throw 2 good sticks of 512 away to buy 2 1 gig ones.

Chris_D said:
From what I've found on MSI's website it will support upto 3GB.

Similar scenario. If you want the supposed performance increase by filling up all your bays with 512MB sticks then do that. If you wanna leave some slots free for future upgrades then just buy a 1GB stick. This will leave one slot free where you can upgrade at a later date with another 1GB stick giving you the maximum 3GB RAM supported.

This was my motherboard right? If yes...What would u recommend? If i get that 1GB of ram than ill have 1 slot empty. But 3gig of RAM wont really ever be needed..what u think:E

You have 4 slots? If this is the right model then you have 3 slots.

Also note that it says in red, "Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks (2 double-sided) only
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing."

FYI Banks do not mean sticks. Generally a stick of memery has 2 banks (a grouping of memory chips) so that means to run at PC3200 speed you cannot go over 2 sticks. If you do it will probably run at PC2700. Check your manual for a chart.

damn i just looked into it and i do have 3 slots(got confused was looking at the green part)... argh

edit: Asus aww man this really sucks. now i cant run bf2 on highest settings

2 gig's of ram can also slow down your pc. Not in the sense of what Asus said, as in it defaulting to lower speeds, but something else. Asus pulled the article a while back.

MEBE J00 ST1L H4V3 IT?@!!!!!???/??

I second that question duffers, i have 1gb of ram (see sig for whole spec) and i run at 1600 x 1200, high all, except for dynamic shadows and lighting which i set on medium (because tbh i don't notice the difference) and the game runs like silk tbh, sometimes drops to 40 fps in intense scenes of battle etc, but usually 60-80 fps, so i find that claim slightly bogus

/me sneaks of to buy another gb of ram just in case

:E

Back