Ravenholm - Leon is blocking the door

RedGlade

Reaction score
Issue: I am unable to end the We Dont Go To Ravenholm level.
Symptom: "Leon" is blocking the door rather than taking me to talk with Alyx about her fathers abduction. Leon just stands at the door and does not respond to any interaction.

I have managed to wiggle my way inside the room, but good ole Leon just stands there frozen. The Vort moves a little if I get in front of him, but only turns and walks a few feet in opposite direction. The AI is running as the NPCs go through repetitive motions and when I go back into wearhouse I can still interact with NPC up on platform in warehouse. He talks and moves out of my way.

Yes I have a legal (purchased) fresh install with updates of Half-Life2 downloaded from Valve. I have restarted the game and gone back to older Zaasave games, but still Leon doesnt do anything after the Vorta says that the Vance is critical or something like that.

Interesting, while all other NPC do their normal swaying and fidgiting, Leon just stands and sways slightly. Not even a well placed crow bar love tap gets his attention.

Anyway, any constructive thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hm... I don't quite understand where you are. Could you give a screenshot?
It might be fixed if you load the level from the end of Ravenholm level (Graveyard scene for example) and try again.

Restart the level is your best bet, or you can kill them all right than and there..

It looks like his script is broken. Reverify your cache through Steam, if you can.

I had this exact problem too, verifying the cache fixed it.

Verify the game cache (right click game in 'my games' list, properties, files tab, verify).

If this isn't successful, you could try noclipping slightly ahead of him. Enable the console (options > keyboard > advanced > enable console), in game press ' (button underneath ESC) and type in sv_cheats 1 (sv_cheats 0 turns it off again). Once cheats mode is on, type noclip. Close the console, move, then type noclip again to go back into the world.

If that don't work - Reinstall
If THAT don't work, stop pirating games and get a new,legitimate copy

Crowbar is your best friend. Take Gordon and whack away at Steam and anything they touch.

If that don't work - Reinstall
If THAT don't work, stop pirating games and get a new,legitimate copy

He said he got a legal, purchased copy. Read what the OP wrote next time, Kenji.

Thank you all for suggestions. I tried all of the ones that made sense, unfortunately the symptoms remained. I opted to use the following command because I was virtually at the end of the level. Command: "sv_unlockedchapters 7" and then started game at next level. I hated to do that becuase I wanted to play through to the next level. If anyone else has suggestions then I will give them a try.

My copy of HL2 was actually an OrangeBox edition that I purchased (sealed) at my local "Target" store about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't start playing the game until I pulled all of the updates down from steam. If anyone else has a recommendation, I will give it a try. I hate not figuring out the root cause of a problem.

Thank you all for suggestions. I tried all of the ones that made sense, unfortunately the symptoms remained. I opted to use the following command because I was virtually at the end of the level. Command: "sv_unlockedchapters 7" and then started game at next level. I hated to do that becuase I wanted to play through to the next level. If anyone else has suggestions then I will give them a try.

you did play through to the next level, after the door in the room where the guy talks on the radio to alyx, the next point is where you get the buggy is it not?

you did play through to the next level, after the door in the room where the guy talks on the radio to alyx, the next point is where you get the buggy is it not?
It's still not quite the same, though. When you start from the beginning of a chapter you're given weapons and ammo, but not nearly as much as you'd have if you went through the last level normally.

That's why I always go through Ravenholm from my savegame at the start -- rather than starting a new game at the beginning of the chapter -- it allows me to reap the benefits of my visit to that massive Civil Protection supply cache in the canals just before I got to BME. :cheese:

very true. thats why noclipping would probably have been the best option, you just have to turn it off when you get to the load point because the load points dont always work otherwise

Thank you all for your suggestions. Ultimately type "ai_norebuildgraph 1" was enough to make the symptoms go away. I found others that were running Vista 64bit that had various issues and this command was used frequently so I gave it a blind try.

Now as long as I type in that command before playing, I have no problems.

Extraneous information: I just had to share the work-around because I hate when others get help but never share what the solution or the work-around (in my case) was. I will have to research what the command "ai_norebuildgraph" does to determine its effects on the game play. I have already noticed that selecting easy/medium/hard effects the starting positions of NPCs which does have an impact on some other problems that I had, but those issues are outside of the scope of this thread.

Again, Thank you to everyone that tried to lend a helping hand.

Isn't Leon the black guy? How did he get to the Ravenholm tunnel.

Leon is the dude at Shorepoint - right before you get to the buggy.
I've never seen this problem before.
Have you had any other bugs before this one?

Yes - the one that's supposed to talk to Alyx in the base.

Leon is in the Warehouse at the end of the Ravenholm level, right before you get the buggy. I guess the next level is northshore or hwy 17. He contacts Alyx on the Radio and they talk about Freeman using the buggy.

The first problem I encountered was when I would go between sections of the map where the game would load new the next segment of the game. If backed up or had to restart (due to death) I would get a message about the node being out of date and having to be rebuilt. Immediately following this I would also get a message reporting that the AI was disabled.

The game works perfectly, now that I have figured out how to re-enable the AI and to disable the node rebuilds. The AI issue seems to be a common issue for Vista 64 users.

Back