Read here if you are upset with gamespots review

S

sam_justice

I personally think gamespots review was a load of bollocks, it was written by someone completely pessimistic who could only pick up on the bad parts of it, firstly he said it won't redifine the genre, well every idea in the genre has been used up apart from this new physics engone so its the last chance they got to redifine it, also he said the AI was bad, well I think if you match it with many other games out their hl2 will easily beat it, and he wrote basically the complete oppoiste to what many magazines did about the story, many magazines said the story was incredible and kept you on your toes, where as this one basically said eh it's ok , i guess, he doesnt give valve any credit for 5 years bloody work

I was dissappointed about what he said about the story. How things were left open and some questions not answered. Well no shit sherlock. If there are going to be future HL games why would Vavle want to tell you all the answers to the story??? It is idiotic i think.

Like I said, I can't stand Gamespot's reviews. They always bum me out. I'm proud of Valve, and I'm sure I'll enjoy this fruit that has taken 5 years to grow no matter what some negative, cynical asshole says.

they want me to think the 9 hour, bad graphics, 1998 gameplay halo2 destroys halflife2. bullshit

I never trusted gamespots reviews, they blow...but 9.2 isn't a bad review at all.

its not that its bad its just that games like paper mario, grandtheft auto, and such recieve much higher reviews and they took not even close the time hl2 was to make

I bet the reviewer is one of those guys who spent 5 days straight making their own life sized Master Chief costume.

As I said in the news post, Gamespot have always been biased against HL2. This shouldn't come as much of a suprise.

face it they gave it a 9.2 cuz they HAD to. they knew theyd get flamed to shit if they gave it lower (which theyre getting anyway.) They gave it a low 90's score, then tear the game apart in the review itself. Im very surprised at gamespot, they just lost another fan, I'll be using IGN for my news from now on.

they said it didnt break new grounds , well did halo 2 break new grounds ? i dont think so , and did halo 2 have a greats story , i dont think so as they actually said the story for halo 2o was weak , and yet they still give halo2 a higher review

supposedly halo2, ut2004, farcry, gta;sa all blow away halflife2.

Yeah gamespots review was a bit harsh but if you look out the other stuff on their website which mentions HL2 it comes out top:
Follow me! Scroll down abit and HL2 @ NO.1.
And look at the Gamespot poll results (vote HL2 first of course) Hl2 NO.1 again.

What was really disappointing is that he said the game was easy.

Honestly, Halo 2 is shit compared to this. I'm really bored with it.

Subz said:
they want me to think the 9 hour, bad graphics, 1998 gameplay halo2 destroys halflife2. bullshit
The 9.4 review also praised H2's repetitive levels and lackluster story/ending. GJ gamespot.

More was written on dual-wielding than was on manipulator. That alone says it all. Even a buddy of mine who never played FPS before's jaw dropped upon seeing the manipulator in action. Dual-wielding is just like having one gun, only doubled. It's a nice feature, but THEY DON'T COMPARE.

Adam said:
I bet the reviewer is one of those guys who spent 5 days straight making their own life sized Master Chief costume.

ahahahaha

I'm actually surprised it got a 9.2 from reading the review. They all but said the game sucked. They try to cover their ass by saying intermittenly that "this game should not be passed up"

For instance, look at the score they gave GTA: San Andreas.(9.6!!!!) That game deserves an 8.5 at best. It is an recycled game with a crappy story. Unbelievable.

I think he, and many others, have missed the point of HL2.

All the "big" things have been done in FPS. There are no "genre breaking" titles left for FPS.

What is left is filling in the spaces with SUBSTANCE.

• Proper lip sync with realistic facial expressions and body movements.
• Realistic physics.
• The world is not the backdrop but PART of the game expereience.
• Immersion--not just pretty, but relevant. You feel there.
• A thoughtful story that makes you think and characters you CARE about.
• Solid AI that acts intelligently in most situations.

HL2, from all the reviews and Binks, has these things in gold. Many games have added nice graphics and basic physics and tried to get you involved, but how many succeed in making you care about the people?

I really dislike GS's, "Yeah, you will like it... but let me complain for the rest of the review" type attitude. While I am not a big "experience" person, HL2 truly is about the FULL package. More than a game, but a full experience.

As for both IGN and GS dissing CS:S... I never played CS before. I think it is one of the BEST online games I have EVER played. Yeah, some guys are pretty good and it has a learning curve... but wow, it is great. FarCry's multiplayer sucked--themed or not. (My opinion of course). Wont even begin on D3's multiplayer.

CS:S is a fully refined and excellent MP component. To knock HL2 for it, yet sing praises for other themed based content, is a joke. CS is the most popular action MP game on the net for a reason. While I still play Desert Combat more than CS:S, my clan is setting up a CS:S server and we are all excited about it.

Anyhow, I really am starting to believe GS is taking the role of "anti-Hype" and that their reviews are NOT reviews of a PRODUCT, but a commentary on the industries opinion. "Yeah... you guys liked it... but here are all the faults we found".

I am still trying to figure out GTA SA...

Up until now, I didn't think gamespot was biased toward console games. How games like halo (repetitive interior, bland storyline, and mediocre gameplay) can get a 9.7 and HL2 can get a 9.2 I have no clue.

The fact is, we haven't played it and they have. I have been apprehensive about the AI myself as I have spotted in the released movies, far too many occasions when the AI does not even attempt to take cover and stands firing in the open. Also, PC Gamer (UK) mentioned that the AI was not as good as they'd hoped. I hope my fears are wrong but like I say, we cannot yet give a final judgement. It is not prudent of us to recklessly defend any game just because to give a true opinion of it would not hold true to our ideals.

They are all stuck up f**kers over at Gamespot that are just too hard too please. I dont trust any off their reviews going by my own judgment of games they have given low scores to in the past.

Subz said:

I hope you know that fanboy-ism is highly frowned here.

wtf, the game is not out yet, and you all are saying that HL2 is shit ?

wf wtf wtf.....wtf .......wtf....etc

Varsity said:
As I said in the news post, Gamespot have always been biased against HL2. This shouldn't come as much of a suprise.

They have been? Can you give me a link to this news post? Thanks.

I stopped trusting Gamespot after they gave Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 a perfect 10. Sure, it was good, but... No. Just no.

IGN has always been better.

Llyranor said:
The 9.4 review also praised H2's repetitive levels and lackluster story/ending. GJ gamespot.

More was written on dual-wielding than was on manipulator. That alone says it all. Even a buddy of mine who never played FPS before's jaw dropped upon seeing the manipulator in action. Dual-wielding is just like having one gun, only doubled. It's a nice feature, but THEY DON'T COMPARE.
Yea so true, the manipulator is really innovative unlike dual wielding which has been used many times before it. Oh well fack him :LOL:

*me* adds GameSpot to "SCAPE GOAT LIST"

Scape goat list : Vivendi, GameSpot LOL

we should just all make one massive post in the gamespot forums saying about how annoyed we are with there crappy review.

Acert93 said:
I really dislike GS's, "Yeah, you will like it... but let me complain for the rest of the review" type attitude.

Usually i stick up for Gamespot, but they really do have that sorta attitude towards games with huge amounts of hype.

Look at Halo 2, they ripped it to shreds, and it gets a 9.4. They did that Doom 3 as well and made the game out to be average, but gave it a score, just above average.

Greg K and Jeff Gerstmann give the best reviews on the site, and i was really hoping Half-Life 2 would be reviewed by one of them. Ah well, its all good though.

(And Subz, chill man, the review system isn't setup so you can directly compare a console game to a PC game. A 9.2 for a PC Game is the same as, or better then getting a 9.4 for a console game)

All the Gamespot review does is remind me that reviews are subjective.

If Halo 2's same gameplay formula means "if it ain't broke don't fix it" becomes Half Life 2's "gameplay doesn't offer anything new that we haven't already seen" then the moral of the story is....

I like pie.

Seriously though, if I didnt know the score prior to reading this review I would think it would have been a low 8.

westie said:
we should just all make one massive post in the gamespot forums saying about how annoyed we are with there crappy review.

Play the bloody game first and then decide if you disagree with them or not.

Jesus! Can we all just play the game before we decide that the review is biased? I know we don't want HL2 to be anything but stunning but shit happens sometimes you know? Let's see what the game is like. If it's disappointing then I suggest we speak up and tell it how it is. If it surpasses our wildest dreams then I suggest we speak up and tell it like it is.

Back