Real In Game Pic?

oh not that picture again, damn planet half-life for not putting an explaination on each image :S

We've hashed that pic over before, and I think most people agreed that it was a photograph to illustrate how closely Valve had captured certain lighting and architectural elements. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The Thing said:
No, it's just a photo.

Thanks, I was happy when I first saw it.. but I almost cried thinking surely no computer can run it at THAT level.

*Presses ComradeBadgers button.... to no avail..... AGAIN!!*

That thing needs a disclaimer!!

That's pretty good The Dark Elf. :) I always just assumed it was a photoshopped pic.

Beast206 said:
That's pretty good The Dark Elf. :) I always just assumed it was a photoshopped pic.
nope, sketch. Doesn't look as good full size though. Looks nicer as an avatar :D

Duhhh.. I just looked at your profile. Well, anyways, it's pretty sharp. I just stick to modifying things to suit my needs. Wish I could get my avatar to sharpen up a bit though.

Oh yeah... you're almost as old as I am. Now I don't feel so ancient. :cheers:

This shows the division [i think it's pretty accurate..]

cityshow.jpg

NONE OF THAT IS IN GAME. IT IS A PHOTOGRAPH.

This is valve's recreation of that photo setting for the game.

LMAO, it's fun seeing people argue that a photograph is part real and part game. The one Aphal posted is the Source engine.

I think you guys need to go outside a bit more :rolleyes:

Aphal said:
I think you guys need to go outside a bit more :rolleyes:

You know, if you didn't already know and some showed you that Source engine shot, they'd argue that it's real. :thumbs:

Of course, I want to see the full res shot of that.

lol - this is nice... i'm pretty sure this is actually in game - look at the textures in the foreground - on the ground, the flat windows, and the poorly rendered shadow on the building. - the background looks alright 'cause its farther away, but notice how very hard-edged all the shadows there appear - you would never see color so flat in real life... if it is a photo, someone went to quite a bit of trouble to add the crappy jpg texture to the foreground and cleanup the back, but at that very small res, i guess there's really no way to tell...

the one i'm still wondering about is this one:
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/features/articles/sigg04/phl_c17_Slide19a_hi.jpg

some very nice texturing, and use of hdr, but i'm not sure about the motion-blur on the guy on the right... ;)

you know HL2 has good graphics when people can't tell whether it's a real photo or in-game

madFive said:
lol - this is nice... i'm pretty sure this is actually in game - look at the textures in the foreground - on the ground, the flat windows, and the poorly rendered shadow on the building. - the background looks alright 'cause its farther away, but notice how very hard-edged all the shadows there appear - you would never see color so flat in real life... if it is a photo, someone went to quite a bit of trouble to add the crappy jpg texture to the foreground and cleanup the back, but at that very small res, i guess there's really no way to tell...

the one i'm still wondering about is this one:
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/features/articles/sigg04/phl_c17_Slide19a_hi.jpg

some very nice texturing, and use of hdr, but i'm not sure about the motion-blur on the guy on the right... ;)

You aren't serious are you? :E The one you linked to is a photo. :p

ya - i pulled up the high-res version, and i'm undecided again...:p

in either case, it'd be a pretty crappy photo...and if its rendered...omg...well they paid alot of attention to the photo to put that much realism into the rest of it...

wonder what location that is? did they say in the presentation?

Lobster said:
oh not that picture again, damn planet half-life for not putting an explaination on each image :S

LOL!. Perhaps that is the reason as to why there are some dumbasses in this very same board, who blatantly claim that HL2 has the best graphics ever.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's in-game with HDR turned on.....hahaha! I'll kill myself someday.

It is exciting to know how close we are to that being in an actual game. Just look at the HL2 pic compared to that. A long way to go, but also not a long way to go :)

I can't quite make it out, but it seems to be a picture of a yellow building, hmm.

I went outside and was appaled. The crappy shadow rendering that went as the sun moved pissed me off. And some people's eyes were not level (like the Gman) -they were not even. Use of extreme brightness (when doing things such as looking at the sun) and such black darkness (like in a cave) are unbalanced, not a good lighting situation.

Characters were interesting but unrealistic. Often times they would repeat the same animation frame over and over (nervous twitch) and it really got on my nerves.

Physics were pleasing, I was happy with the fluid recreation, but ragdolls were too heavy and unrealistic, when shot they did not ever fall into humerous positions or go flying back, usually they just fell forward or backwards.

Gibbing and gore was way overdone. I was, however, angry that grenades did not blow people apart, it was merely the shrapnel that went into them.

Overall 6.5/10, could've been better.

RakuraiTenjin said:
I went outside and was appaled. The crappy shadow rendering that went as the sun moved pissed me off. And some people's eyes were not level (like the Gman) -they were not even. Use of extreme brightness (when doing things such as looking at the sun) and such black darkness (like in a cave) are unbalanced, not a good lighting situation.

Characters were interesting but unrealistic. Often times they would repeat the same animation frame over and over (nervous twitch) and it really got on my nerves.

Physics were pleasing, I was happy with the fluid recreation, but ragdolls were too heavy and unrealistic, when shot they did not ever fall into humerous positions or go flying back, usually they just fell forward or backwards.

Gibbing and gore was way overdone. I was, however, angry that grenades did not blow people apart, it was merely the shrapnel that went into them.

Overall 6.5/10, could've been better.

How did you find the normal mapping on characters?

did the models self-shadow?

FoB_Ed said:
you know HL2 has good graphics when people can't tell whether it's a real photo or in-game
Or maybe some people just don't know what real-life looks like.

Beast206 said:
We've hashed that pic over before, and I think most people agreed that it was a photograph to illustrate how closely Valve had captured certain lighting and architectural elements. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Your right.

Back