Realistic Clothing and Hair

Here is a similar discussion.

Originally posted by Lifthz
Yeah, but it's still authentic looking. Far better looking than any FPS game i've seen so far.

But that defeats its own purpose, at least for the sake of this discussion...were not talking about making covincing cloth animations, were talking about actually implementing soft body dynamics into the physics system of a real-time game engine.

IE charecters in DoA cant walk past a bench and have thier trench-coat brush along the bench causing it to open, or have a charecter sit down having his coat drape over the bench diferently each time. Charecters in DoA have cloth that moves fluidly for thier pre defined set of animations, and thier clothes do not interact dynamically with thier environment.

Physical simulation and dynamic interaction, not just clever animation.

i wonder if the clothing thing could be implimented in a patch, or coded into a cool mod.

I tend to think that the DOOM dude does have more physical detail, but I also think that makes him look less real because of its tiny imperfections. And in the end thats all that really matters. And I'd like to point out that there are indeed dynamic shadows (although they are not used for everything) in HL2, just not on Alyx in that picture.

My guess is that we'll have both dynamic cloth and hair in hl2 a couple years after release when consumer video card GPUs get up to par in displaying the required amounts of polys at the required refresh rate in addition to displaying all the detailed environments. Afterall it's an FPS and the graphical quality of the models isn't all that important since you'll be killing most living things way before you get a chance to admire their realistic hair or clothes. In fact, after playing the game a couple of times through most people will stop noticing such things altogether as they will be much busier with fragging everything that moves than admiring the characters.

DoA? I thought that was for titties

Alot of people dont think its a good fighting game, but It really does look very good and the animations are smooth as umm... something really smooth. Plus I personally really like the fighting style it uses compared to other games but then again Im not a huge fan of fighting games in general so what do I know. :bounce: :bounce:

Seeing as they are most interested in expressing emotion, I's gladly trade more realistic eyes for more realistic hair.

Back