Recently upgraded RAM, mobo and CPU. WANT MOAR. (New graphics card)

NeptuneUK

Space Core
Reaction score
What's a relatively high end GFX card that should handle some newer releases. I am very disappointed at the performance I'm getting in Dragon Age II. I want to play it as the maker intended (everything maxed out) and prepare for the likes of Elder Scrolls V and Mass Effect 3. ATI or Nvidia these days?

Current specs:
GTX 460 768mb
3Ghz AMD II Quad thing.
2X4GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz
ASUS M4A77T
X-fi gaming audio
700W arctic PSU
Windows 7 64

as the maker intended (everything maxed out)

Well here's your first misconception.

Why do people assume that devs don't make games that are capable of taking advantage of future hardware level by letting the user set options so high that no current hardware can reach it with good performance?

Anyway, I heard this was the best bang for your buck:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127565&cm_re=560_ti-_-14-127-565-_-Product

Except you've got an AMD mobo so you should probably get ATI so you can do Crossfire?

And buy a new cooler for your CPU and overclock that bitch.

How is your computer not maxing out DAII? A 460, 3ghz quadcore processor, and 8 gigs of ram would be more than enough to do so. I max out the game on my 5850, which is only slightly better.

That's what I was thinking.. Something doesnt seem right. I get a bit of fps lag in battles on only high settings at 1280 res... It just seems wrong. I dont recall having any issues with other recent titles. Not sure whether to go SLI or jump ship to ATI

Why don't you get a new monitor first? Sounds like you have a 4:3 screen.

I think you went wrong by getting the 768MB version of the GTX 460 instead of the 1GB version.

card_specs.jpg

25% less memory bandwidth, ROP units, and L2 cache. But even still, you shouldn't be having much trouble at all running DA2 on max. How is your performance in other games?

Here I am with my 8800 GTX and looking like a bitch while you're not satisfied with your 460.

Radeon 6950. Or if you don't mind higher costs short(price) and long(power usage) term get a GTX570.

I'm wishing I had more card than I do too Mutoid.

Can't go wrong with the 580. Less power consumption and runs cooler than it's ati competition. Plus the benefit of built in PhysX.

Thanks for the responses guys. Checked out those cards and ended up with a GTX570 and a 22" monitor. Pleased. The 580 is WAY too expensive (£400) for the performance.

Back