Red Dots in TF2 but nowhere else

V

vandriel

I downloaded TF2 last night started it up this morning and I have red dots all over just about every wall in the game, usually seems to only get really bad when I go outside. It's over everything the floor, walls, and my gun. Thinking my 3D Card was melting down I started up Half Life 2, no dots there, so I then turned down all the graphics settings on TF2 to their lowest, still had the dots in TF2 whereas in HL2 I have maxxed out settings. Steam did lockup once during the download and I turned off my PC once, could this be the cause? I have no red dots in HL2 but sometimes when I shine my flashlight and an object like say Dog or Alyx i see very small very few dots, nowhere like it is in TF2. In TF2 it is almost over every surface and in HL2 the dots are white not red. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Sounds like the download might've corrupted. Verify the game cache.

I'm redownloading TF2 now, I'll let you guys know if it is still happening, and as for the pic, if it is still happening when I download again I'll post one.

Well I redownloaded TF2 verified the game cache and the dots are still everywhere. Here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 499MB used, 1192MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Card name: RADEON 9800 XT
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4E4A)
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Heres a pic of what im talking about, it only seems to get really bad once I go outside. but once i go outside it stays bad like this. I never get anything like this in any other game that I have played. Don't know why all the sudden its doing this. Help as always will be appreciated :)
dots-1.jpg

Well I redownloaded TF2 verified the game cache and the dots are still everywhere. Here are my system specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 499MB used, 1192MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Card name: RADEON 9800 XT
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4E4A)
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Heres a pic of what im talking about, it only seems to get really bad once I go outside. but once i go outside it stays bad like this. I never get anything like this in any other game that I have played. Don't know why all the sudden its doing this. Help as always will be appreciated :)
dots-1.jpg

rofl - its braille "matrix style" for blind people. just touch the screen and feel your way around lol

Ok here is what you do...

un plug your computer from the wall, pick it up, walk over to the closest window, open the window, and throw it as hard and as far as you can out that window and leave it smashed on the ground to make example of all other computers by putting it to shame!!

Ok this is weird, I told you how if I turned my settings all down that it didn't get rid of the dots, well I was checking other options earlier and I saw sound had a drop down as well, so on a whim I turned it down to low. Well lo and behold the dots went away, they appeared a little bit into a long big game but nowhere on the walls, just a few here and there on my gun. So If you have problems with dots, turn your sound quality down, weird eh?

I think you were just playing matches with a whole ton of snipers...

Odd really odd. I'm not sure how to fix it. It could just be a bug in TF2 - I'd submit a screenshot to Valve.

Yeah I did when it was happening, along with my system specs and everything, either they had other people give the same report and fixed it. I dunno, I'm just glad they are gone :D

Glad you fixed it, hopefully this thread will help out many other people too. An odd problem and solution indeed, just a few hiccups still happening with the beta, slowly being ironed out :)
I think you were just playing matches with a whole ton of snipers...
hehe! Very clever

I get the exact same thing on TF2 and Portal. The dots are nowhere to be seen on HL2. I've not tried Ep1 or 2 yet. I'm going to try and update my sound drivers, since it was mentioned that the sound settings fixed the problem.

Back