Red Dwarf: Back to Earth

Sanada

Reaction score
For those interested and in the UK, the new special episodes of Red Dwarf start tonight at 9PM on Dave. (http://dave.uktv.co.uk/)

They'll also repeat all the episodes again on Monday.

Can't wait for these tonight. Gonna be good, I hope. If not then what the hell, it was a nice try.

I'm looking forward to it, but i'm not holding my hopes massively high. I'm hoping it's the style of the first couple of series not the god awful 8th series

Oh shit, thanks for this post or I would have missed the whole damn thing... instead of just the first 15 minutes...

I just saw this post. Missed it. It seems to be repeating again at 11.30 though, so I set my box to record that.

I just saw this post. Missed it. It seems to be repeating again at 11.30 though, so I set my box to record that.

Why don't you watch it on Dave +1 at 10?

I thought it was alright, lack of laughter track was weird

No laugh track in a Red Dwarf? wtf?

damn, it's going to be impossible to watch this in canada, gonna have to stream or download i guess

Not impressed so far. About as light on chuckles as the last series was. Story seems patchy as well - I've seen the scene twice tonight and still don't understand why the Science Officer appeared... but I'm guessing it wasn't a coincidence that it was at the same time as the monster in the water. But apart from that it's not explained, pffft.

Not off to a good start to be honest, you'd think by now they had a good written plot after so long.

also the CGI must have been done by the Dr Who CGI group, because it was sub-par, weak as ****.

Babylon 5 was made 15 years ago, and the cgi was amazingly better.

Not off to a good start to be honest, you'd think by now they had a good written plot after so long.

also the CGI must have been done by the Dr Who CGI group, because it was sub-par, weak as ****.

Babylon 5 was made 15 years ago, and the cgi was amazingly better.

Doctor Who's CGI is nowhere near as bad as this.

After seeing the second episode all I can say is...smeg.

I watched this when really really pissed last night. And it was bloody awful.

Oh pissing hell, I missed the first 20 minutes of the last episode as well.

EDIT

Pffft was that it? I figured from the first episode that the whole thing was gonna turn out to be a fantasy, correctly remembering the fantasy sea monster from years ago... however still a bit disappointing that it turned out to not be real - they've been to contemporary Earth once before (twice if you include Tikka To Ride), I was really hoping that it would be a return to Earth in the time that the last series was set, or even better a return to the time that Lister left Earth... but in the end, no closure to the story, nothing resolved... maybe I care too much but I really think they could have done more with the opportunity, especially considering it didn't turn out to be very funny.

Man, Episode two was a big step back. The first episode actually felt like Old Dwarf, although the russian science officer was A; A re-used plotline and B; Coming completely out of nowhere, although I expect maybe that's part of the plot. This second episode was... meh. Sort-of clever idea and not *completely* out of the realm of Dwarfness, but still pretty lame as I don't *want* the show to be pretend (In the reality of the show, it just ruins all immersion). Also, the entire second half of the second ep was boring as ****.

Only saw the first episode, and at half volume since I was at my sister's.

Is it explained how on earth they got from the ending of Season 8 to this? No, i'm not talking quality-wise (since the final episode of season 8 is probably one of the most amateurish pieces of TV ever seen, and I wasn't overwhelmed by what I saw).

I thought it was really good, very funny, well written and some great lines in it. :)

The first "episode" was a little slow but it really picked up.

"Meeeeeeeeeeaaaoowww Yeeeeeeaah!" :D

It was really weak but in all honesty the show hasnt been the same since Rob Grant left. Series 7 onwards did provide a few laughs but didnt deliver the same feel and quality of the first six series.

I saw a bit of the 'making of' after the third episode. Just like the DVDs, it seemed like a massive circle jerk where everyone was pretty blind and gushing over everything, regardless of its quality.

The new series is as ****ing shite as the 3 series before it! The gulf in quality between this and series 1 & 2, which are up there with the very best of british comedy imo, couldn't be larger.

I liked 3 and 4 too btw, and 5 was ok, but everything after sucks major donkey's dick!

Did you see the new episode of Dr. Who... I beg to differ. :dozey:

Anyway, the new RD was clever rather than funny.

Yes I did, and the wrecked alien ship and cgi backdrops from that episode are clearly leagues ahead of any in the new red dwarf, to say otherwise is being really a little silly.

I really enjoyed the new episodes, had quite a few good laughs, i have found all the series very entertaining, but the early ones, season 3 inparticular, would definately have to be the funniest.

It wasn't too bad... but not anthing close to the stuff in seasons 1-6.

I was particularly narked off that they fobbed off the sooooo many plot holes that were needed to tie up season 8 to the new episodes.

Yes I did, and the wrecked alien ship and cgi backdrops from that episode are clearly leagues ahead of any in the new red dwarf, to say otherwise is being really a little silly.

I still beg to differ.

Wow, you guys are harsh on it.

I really enjoyed it. o_O

I enjoyed too, just think it wasn't that funny. just had alot of light humor

Taken in isolation it wasn't so bad, but compared to any episode in series 1 or 2 it is so, so very poor.

Series 1 or 2 aren't really part of the same show as everything from 3 onwards though. The entire thing plays out like at least three separate shows. It's like Blackadder, but less blatantly divergent.

Oh, and nowhere near as funny.

Back