Red Faction franchise won't continue 'in any meaningful way'

Gargantou

Companion Cube
Reaction score
"THQ CEO Brian Farrell described the franchise's reach as "niche," and consequently no longer worth pursuing."

This guy is clueless. Being "niche" is a good thing. It means your games have something that nobody else has, in this case great destructible environments.

What a shame, I quite liked the Red Faction and Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Yeah the first Red Faction and Guerrilla are both great games, but Armageddon is mediocre, a step in the wrong direction.

The first game is when it more-or-less stopped continuing in any meaningful way.

fun mechanic but yes the series wasn't anything to write home about. I just wish more games had destructible environments as much as this game had

can you have Geomod 2.0 in other game franchises please? thanks

Red Faction stopped being "meaningful" long ago. Guerilla took the locale and the destruction, but it was an entirely different game otherwise with previous titles having no real bearing on its plot (Good guys are bad guys! Clever!). And Armageddon was just.... ugh. I only played the demo, but it seemed like every decision they made was the wrong one. It's cool that I can repair that walkway I just blew up, but they boiled the series down into bland, forgettable shooter that carved out the sandbox elements that occasionally gave rise to some fun gameplay in Guerilla. If the RF universe is being abandoned due to the last game's performance (nor sure how it did), maybe that was because it was a vanilla piece of shit?

Any way, while a part of me still yearns for another Red Faction FPS, this is probably for the best. It seems like they wanted to run the brand into the ****ing ground, and now here we are. Better it not continue further.

The last couple RF games were just... wut.

I love RF1 and RF2 on PS2 though, my friends and I have some great multiplayer times doing 1v1 and whatnot in both games... but Timesplitters was always better.

I remember before Red Faction came out I was following it super closely, I was so pumped about the vaunted Geomod system and destructability... what a disappointment ultimately...

And nothing of value was lost. Still, that mindset of "niche is not worth pursuing" is abhorrent.

It seems like they wanted to run the brand into the ****ing ground, and now here we are.

They already did that once with Red Faction 2, which I thought was terrible. Then they successfully resurrected the franchise with Guerrilla, and now killed it again with Armageddon. These guys are insane.

But whatever, if they implement geomod in other games Ill be happy.

I'm going out on a limb to say that I enjoyed Armageddon, much more than Guerilla.

Don't hurt me!

The only noteworthy thing about the series was the destructible environment.

I only like the first game. It was like a combination of Half-Life and Soldier of Fortune. RF2 is okay too. It's more arcade-ish compared to original.

Get a room you two!*Jealous*

I just checked some game stores and Red Faction: Armageddon PC now costs less than half what it did at launch.

Perhaps I'll buy it when it hits 10€.

<3

Glad I am not alone!

RF2 I can really do without, it was so wrong compared to what had come before.

Yarr, just didn't dig the whole "sandbox" stype and over the top ZOMGREVOLUTION slash THISSHITHAPPENSIRL narrative that was so thick in Guerrilla. Armegeddon is just straightforward shooter fun, with a lot of great little hooks and gimmicks.

RF2 I have literally 0 memories of. It's combined with a few memories I have about the less appealing aspects of RF1...

And nothing of value was lost. Still, that mindset of "niche is not worth pursuing" is abhorrent.

thats theyr way to say that they cant turn the game into a call of duty clone

Back