Reaction score
dm_lost_isle

Download and play the final version! Here are some screenshots:

shot 1

shot 2

shot 3

shot 4

shot 5

While I have enlarged it from the beta, it's still a small map. Based on the performance of the beta online, I felt a small map was more conducive to a good experience for people. I recommend it be played with 10 or fewer players.

Enjoy.

It looks amazing in the shots, I hope it's that great in-game. If so I will definately recommend to the admins of the servers I play on.

Keep up the good work.

Edit:

Just downloaded and had a look in-game. Best 3rd party map I have seen/played by far. Note I haven't looked at dockside map that pi mun rho made.

Only complaints is that some of the lighting outside on the walls is a bit weird (sudden shadow/light) and the lighting inside is a little on the dim side, and navigation could be a bit tricky in some parts (being caught on walls etc while running fast/furiously) , but overall the level design, implementation and geometry is stunning. Be nice if the computer areas down stairs were made of physics objects (a monitor or two you could throw around for example).

Can't comment on how well it'd play or the gun lay-out etc, but the design and geometry looks stunning.

To give it a pretty meaningless rating, A+. Keep up the great work.

downloaded :)
i'll try it out later and post some thoughts on it then.

Just had a game on it. Definitely my favourite map so far. The crane is great fun! :)

I just tested this map on my linux server and it crashes, however the beta1 release of it worked fine, so it must be one of the new things added. There's a bunch of maps crashing linux servers, I'm not sure if anyone's figured out anything about it yet but just thought I'd let you know it probably won't work on any of the linux servers. Although, if someone does get it to run on a linux server, please prove me wrong.

really nice map. im partial to small levels anyway. they work well for small lan parties.

pur3r4ge said:
dm_lost_isle

shot 1

shot 2

shot 3

shot 4

shot 5

While I have enlarged it from the beta, it's still a small map. Based on the performance of the beta online, I felt a small map was more conducive to a good experience for people. I recommend it be played with 10 or fewer players.

Enjoy.
wow, that looks very cool, excellent work!

I really like the useable crane in the level. I would say that the warning to use the rpg on the operator only warns the operator to block off/cover up the RPG right next to him, but without it how would you know.

That's a good point... I bet the alt fire for the SMG would do it too, although I haven't tried it. I never even thought of it :)

Just played with three friends, looks very good! keep up the good work!

I'll try to spot a few minor things to help you to improve your cool map:

lostisland6vs.jpg

- There are some missing shadowmaps in these stairs at center of image.
- The shadowmaps near the right from these woodtrunks could be improved.
- The shadow coming from the magnetic thing of the crane appears in the low roof level.
- The geometry/textures at the backside of these rocks at the top right, like the rocks in the other side of the map could be deleted for improved performance.
- Some reflections from the energy station look a bit exagerated.
- At the bottom roof, there is a spotlight with a nice light projection but without any light inside.
- Some small rocks at the road have looks popping geometry because the lod levels changing so often.

I hope to be helpful :angel:

CyanideX said:
I just tested this map on my linux server and it crashes, however the beta1 release of it worked fine, so it must be one of the new things added. There's a bunch of maps crashing linux servers, I'm not sure if anyone's figured out anything about it yet but just thought I'd let you know it probably won't work on any of the linux servers. Although, if someone does get it to run on a linux server, please prove me wrong.

We went through this on stalkyard.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62533

He needs to compare the beta version with his new version and see what he may have done different and hunt downt he problem. The problem had to do with ladders in stalkyard. I suggest he work on any ladders that may not be just right.

I am willing to test any map on my linux server for campatability.

webmasterATphenylshouse.com for map submissions.

If there is a lot of response I will set up a special email account for this.

|_HeLL_| said:
- The geometry/textures at the backside of these rocks at the top right, like the rocks in the other side of the map could be deleted for improved performance.

im pretty sure those rocks are models and not brushes.

I don't know if I explained correctly, because my bad english: some sides of these rocks and many other parts of the terrain in this map are not being watched never from the point of view of players, so these polygons and textures could be avoided, if I'm right. The map is so beautiful, but quite hardware demanding ;)

Very nice bud!!! I hope your entering this in the Valve DM map contest !

|_HeLL_| said:
I don't know if I explained correctly, because my bad english: some sides of these rocks and many other parts of the terrain in this map are not being watched never from the point of view of players, so these polygons and textures could be avoided, if I'm right. The map is so beautiful, but quite hardware demanding ;)

you did explain correctly, but im telling you that not all of the rocks he's using are brushes, but models, which cannot be textured in hammer.

He might be talking about some of the areas under the terrain. Wherever there is an unseen textured surface, at least part of it is visible somewhere. There are actually quite a few large brushes in there taking up space.

I think the biggest hardware demands occur because of all the physics trouble made by having a crane and movable crates swinging around.

pur3r4ge said:
dm_lost_isle

shot 1

shot 2

shot 3

shot 4

shot 5

Enjoy.

good job :D

more and bigger maps

in the quote he was referring to the rocks in the upper right, which were models.

Sadako said:
Yeah. Shame theres no servers with it on yet :(

If he doesn't get the crash with linux fixed it will not get very good distribution.

Looks good, but insignificant to the power of a new map im working on

DoctorGordon3 said:
Looks good, but insignificant to the power of a new map im working on

oooh heh, big promises. your map better be the shit to warrant saying that :cheers:

I'm currently installing a linux server on an old machine to test it. Hopefully I'll be able to track down and fix the problem.

broke.... just found a problem :(

I'm also running it on a dedicated linux server right now, although it's on my home connection so it's limited to 6 players. It should be redirecting connections to my page to download the map automatically, though.

OK, I fixed it completely. Basically, I needed to remove everything ladder related and rebuild it. I'm now running it on a linux server successfully.

Download the final (fingers crossed) version here: dm_lost_isle_v1

I did add a "v1" to the end of the name to eliminate potential auto-download conflicts. I'm also running it on a dedicated server for now, set to auto download the bsp from my webserver if anyone wants to get it that way.

Awesome. I just got done d/l'ing the new one. More people need to run this on their servers!!!

You did an excellent job. Im looking forward to more maps from you. :thumbs:

satch919 said:
Awesome. I just got done d/l'ing the new one. More people need to run this on their servers!!!

You did an excellent job. Im looking forward to more maps from you. :thumbs:

i agree and i would most defenetly like 2 cee more
sugestoin: try a subtransit remake !
a love that map and seeing your kind of mapping. i think you can do it :thumbs:

how about another new map, instead of a remake.

I'm actually working with a mod team now, so my next map will be an original for them. Personally, I'm not really interested in doing any remakes anyway. :)

Back