Remember Half Life: Day One...

wasnt that the sort of "demo" version of half-life that was lurking around before the final release?

Thanks to our sponsors for the "out of context" theater

it was released with video cards as an exclusive demo. Ie: Voodoo 3's I think. It was not officially released.

From back in the day...
"

It indeed looks like Sierra’s long-awaited first-person action shooter, Half-Life, is nearing completion. While the game is scheduled for release sometime next month, Sierra has already begun shipping to hardware manufacturers an abridged OEM (original equipment manufacturer) version of the game, titled Half-Life: Day One.

Day One will begin appearing in software bundles later this fall. So far, three companies have confirmed that the 250 MB version of the game will be bundled with their hardware. The lucky hardware includes Diamond’s Monster Sound MX300, Guillemot International’s Maxi Gamer Phoenix (a Voodoo Banshee board), and ThurstMaster’s Frag Master Joystick.

Half-Life, which is being developed by Valve Software, is one of the next-generation of 3D action games to sport advanced AI. However, the game’s release date has consistently slipped, and it was originally supposed to ship for Christmas of last year."

Originally posted by el Chi
Abridged? How much was missing?

It ended when you got to the Surface in "We've got hostiles". It just faded out.

It was kinda annoying because the "Half-Life: Day one" title didn't really scream "Demo". I saw no indications that it was shorter than the full game.

My dad got a copy with his graphics card. It was my first experience of Half-Life.

Hmmm... Well that sounds lame. Although I now understand why it was "Day One"... Cheers Feath!

BTW, (and screamingly off-topic) there's a song by a band called Day One which is called I'm Doing Fine. Practically their only good song, but it's really REALLY good. Day One. Links, see? Oh fine, I'm going.

Back