Remote access and/or video screen capture software

dfc05

Tank
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's 1 AM and I'm sitting at school (planning to sleep in my office chair) after having been tasked with TA assignments that involve a prof being like "Let's run some traffic software simulations for class today. But this software is only installed on two computers in the computer lab, so we need to remotely access it, but I have no idea how to do this, so why don't YOU do it and report back to me in the morning. Also, here is some email info from tech help that is totally useless for any normal person."

Yeah... sounds like a task for helplife2.net.

So, in this email, I have what looks like some kind of address like "blahblah.bleh.myschool.edu." I've used things that look like this before to set up access to some shared department files and printers. But when I go on my desktop and right click -> New->Shortcut->"blahblah.bleh.myschool.edu", it doesn't find it. I've also tried using it in My Network Places -> Add Network Place, but that doesn't work either. And putting "\\" in front of it doesn't work. They also gave me what I presume to be a username and a password. I'm guessing these will be requested when I try to remotely access the computer, but I have no idea.

In short: Where the heck do I go in Windows to set up remote access?

Alternatively, (probably the easier question to answer), does anyone know of any free software I can use to just record the simulation as it's running on screen? Preferably in a small video file size.

[edit] Found a program called CamStudio which does the video screen capture. But remote access is still preferable.... so if you know how, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Wow thats a hard one. I dont have much experience with remote access. The only software i have used in that area is TeamViewer, but it requires both computers to have it , however, you dont need to install it. You just click the .exe, and you give the code it generates to another person, and he gets access as long as the .exe is running, no need to install. But this is probably not what you are looking for.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up just showing the video screen capture. I attempted to set up Remote Desktop, but normal student users don't have access to set that up on the school computers. I think what I was supposed to do was just access the program (not necessarily take control of the whole computer remotely). But I still have no idea. In any case, (hopefully) I don't need it anymore.

Back