Removal of Post Count

N

NJD2003

I believe that is should be removed becasue it entices people to spam. They want to have thousands of posts and be at the top. I also believe that the post count promotes Elitism, meaning that the ones with alot of posts feel they are the best and that they are the leaders.

But it is somehow useful, letting us know who is active, who is a long time poster, and who usually just reads the forums instead of posts. It's a double edged sword...

The names under their Forum names can tell us if they are a long time poster of if they seldom post (Headcrab, Ichthyosaur, etc...) Many other forums have taken out the post count becasue of the reasons above.

NJD2003 said:
Ranks are not as bad as the post count is, in my opinion.
They are just as bad, the ranks get changed, someone asks what they are, then everyone scrambles to get the highest rank

If you then think they should be removed, then the only quesion to ask is why haven't they been?

Even ranks should be removed. You should treat each other according to what you post each time.

Just because you have a postcount of 5,000 doesn't mean that you can get away with posting silly stuff. Treat people like you want to be treated.

Mods will remove spammers or people who only come to insult or swear. They do a great job at it and will even get more time to do so if a lot of postcount wh*res will slither away.

didn't we just have a thread recently on this exact topic?
anyway...post count or no post count, spamming happens anyway.

unless the staff/mods take a tougher stance on posts in general, spamming will coninue.. tho to be honest, spamming has been less of an issue since the site came back online in April.

if u were here before that, then u know how spamm-ish almost every section of these forums was.. so give credit where its due.. spamming has been less now than before.

NJD2003 said:
If you then think they should be removed, then the only quesion to ask is why haven't they been?
Dont you think if I could have removed them I would have

email Munro and ask him to.

I'm all for removal of both post counts and ranks.. but if you remove the ranks, why not just let users make custom titles, so it's all fair game? We can already have custom locations, so why not titles?

Obviously, these would have a set of rules. IE. no spoofing a moderator, or having foul language in them.

Shuzer said:
I'm all for removal of both post counts and ranks.. but if you remove the ranks, why not just let users make custom titles, so it's all fair game? We can already have custom locations, so why not titles?

Obviously, these would have a set of rules. IE. no spoofing a moderator, or having foul language in them.
We have set rules anyway but people keep trying to break them, then running off to mommy, sorry Munro rather, when they get a warning.

so no, custom titles are just as bad.

*File under dumb bitch ideas of the first order.

you dont need to remove them, you can just stick them in peoples profiles... that way, its not like its in everyones face, but if you really want to know.. its still there

I dont see why you need to remove anything at all. Spam clearly is not a problem, trolling is. Spam doesnt affect your life does it? and its usually a laugh, I find it hard to see how anyone could spam to get their post count up anyway

edit- oooh yeah! 2000 posts on a thread about spam :cheers:. I dont make a thread about it as you can see :p thats the sort of spam you want rid of.

bliink said:
you dont need to remove them, you can just stick them in peoples profiles... that way, its not like its in everyones face, but if you really want to know.. its still there
Thats not a bad idea actually, should keep everyone happy atleast :)

No.
We need our postcounts. For gods sake, don't remove it!
/me cuddles all postcounts.

EDIT: Tadaaaa! Post nr 900! :E

Varg|Hund said:
No.
We need our postcounts. For gods sake, don't remove it!
/me cuddles all postcounts.

EDIT: Tadaaaa! Post nr 900! :E
thanks, you proved to those just joining us why post counts are baaad :p

The Dark Elf said:
thanks, you proved to those just joining us why post counts are baaad :p
Silence you! :eek:

I can see where you strange people are coming from. Post counts do in fact promote some elitism and spamming. But common, is it really that bad?
Just call me an elitist, but I like to be able to see who is active and a regular poster and who isn't.

NJD2003 said:
I believe that is should be removed becasue it entices people to spam. They want to have thousands of posts and be at the top. I also believe that the post count promotes Elitism, meaning that the ones with alot of posts feel they are the best and that they are the leaders.
The few forums i've seen that have no post counts still have a fair bit of elitism. www.steampowered.com and www.dayofdefeat.com are prime examples. Spam is also prevalent on those forums. Post counts have minimal to zero effect on those two things i believe.

The only significant problem this forums suffers is people not doing their research before posting new threads. "Jimmy" finds a picture of Gabe on www.halflifesource.com and immediately assumes no other Half-life 2 community has seen it. Hurriedly he posts it on halflife2.net without thinking it may have already been posted 17 times. We get this day in day out and it gets extremely frustrating.

Another thing, I think any thread with the word "Doom 3" in it should be locked immediately in the general discussion for the next few weeks. Just wait till the Doom 3 hype dissipates a little. Too many people wrapped up in their " half-life is the greatest omgomgomg" coccoon are getting very scared that Doom 3 may actually be a fantastic game and as a result we have bitter flame wars.

Elf wouldn't it be quite something if u mods started deleting post counts of individuals instead of the mass removal? yeah good punishment me thinks...

but ya know babyheadcrab may whine otherwise since he didn't like me pointing out how his post was spam :rolleyes:

link

remember when Megnetichead got his post count reset to zero?

/me nods yeah it does make pple think

I don't see the problem with custom titles.

post counts being removed won't solve anything.
frankly, aren't these forums strict enough as it is?
/me sighs.

So what's the count then? 3 people don't like it? Better email Munro asap, guys.

CyberSh33p said:
I don't see the problem with custom titles.

post counts being removed won't solve anything.
frankly, aren't these forums strict enough as it is?
/me sighs.
These forums strict!? LMAO!!

CyberSh33p, we are FAR from strict. There are forums out there that ban you for making a double post, or for swearing, ones that just ban you if they don't like the look of you.

Haven't read the whole thing, just the title and first few posts. I'd be happy either way, but just speaking for myself I don't use a huge postcount as an excuse to be an ass, I use knowing people and the forums in general better as an excuse for being an ass :p

I do look at people's postcounts often, just as a judge to see if they're new or just inactive, cause usually if it's high I'll have seen the person before, and in that case can keep track of how badly they're spamming :p It's just a novelty thing, I don't believe there are anyone on these forums who pimp their postcount, we're a pretty modest bunch for the most part. Leaving threads excluded :x

like it or not but those with higher post counts do tend to have better opinions

:eek:

For instance...

"Hl2 Gold" gets posted by somebody with 6 posts.

"Hl2 Gold" gets posted by somebody with 600 posts.

I know wich one is more likely to be true.

Whilst post count does not always reflect importance it helps me (and i assume others) base opinions on the information provided.

Yeah, then those people that have 3 posts that come on just to ask for people to help with their mod (you know, the ones who's posts are like essays and they sign it at the bottom and all) are more apparent.

Remove the counter and let people have custom titles. The admin can have their custom titles, only in orange, which would still make things clear.

This has been done on an other Dutch forum ago, after a discussion about it, and it worked out very well.

I don't mind postcounts being removed, It indeed makes people act as if they are above everyone else :eek: Not that I .. Moi, ever did that. :imu:

However

nah..

postcounts are baad

jup

Remove them, for the sake of this forum

EDIT: and Xrenity's idea isnt THAT bad.. it might work.. Custom titles are less bad then choosing your own username when you register, or making your own sig..

coming from a headcrab, i feel that ranks arn't important, i agree "double edged sword"~Frosty but they can be usfully in also telling who spends there summer on the forum and who dosn't

Imo post counts aren't neccesary, but ranks are. I visit this other forum, where I mostly read posts, overthere there are no ranks or postcounts, and I think it's very confusing when I have no clue who's a vet and whos not.

what does it matter who is a vet to a forum or not, the only people that have any really power are staff and moderators, just cause sombody hasnt post alot dosnt mean they dont know what they are talking about (other than me i am a ret*rd)

MaxiKana said:
Imo post counts aren't neccesary, but ranks are. I visit this other forum, where I mostly read posts, overthere there are no ranks or postcounts, and I think it's very confusing when I have no clue who's a vet and whos not.
but ranks are based on the number of posts someone makes. And the number of posts someone makes doesn't reflect how much an authority they are on a particular subject.

You should be able to see by the response from others how well respected a particular individual's comments are.

I just want custom titles, is it so much to ask for...is it?!

I don't find post counts to be bad, nor do I find titles to be bad. Then again I dont run the site :p

I say we keep them, it's true that we have some old members that spam a lot, but if we don't have post counts we will be completly lost.

qckbeam said:
I just want custom titles, is it so much to ask for...is it?!

I don't find post counts to be bad, nor do I find titles to be bad. Then again I dont run the site :p

the thing about custom titles is that people will have really stupid pointless titles that are just plain stupid, like "the real gordon freeman" or "super awsome post alot guy" ;)

But if you remove them, this forums will be just like those crappy forums where you have no idea who is who. I say we make a poll and see what other people think.

haha... you could have custom titles and the people who really want post counts can just keep updating it :LOL:

Back