Replace headcrabs texture in HL2?

rage77

Reaction score
Hi!

I love the HL-series but I can't for the life of me bear to play through it again nighttime with all the headcrabs (wife and kid sleeps at night so I get some time to game on). Is there any way I could mod the headcrabs textures into something like this?
If so, where do I find such textures and how do I insert them?

And yes, I'm a pansy for not wanting to play it through again with full on "headcrabedness", I admit it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh6NlH5CbFo

The texture isn't really the scary part of a headcrab...

Why would you want to totally destroy your immersion with this nonsense?

I'm pretty sure that'll be even scarier, just like the mod that replaces LFD zombies with tellytubbies.

The texture isn't really the scary part of a headcrab...

Why would you want to totally destroy your immersion with this nonsense?

Simple; Arachnophobia.

So can it be done? Any way at all to remove the headcrabs (and yes, also the poison ones) in any way at all would be MOST welcome! :)

What? That'd be stupid if you removed all the headcrabs from the game... Without headcrabs you'd be just walking through Ravenholm doing nothing.

Is there any way I could mod the headcrabs textures into something like this?
If so, where do I find such textures and how do I insert them?

Extract the texture from source materials.gcf (I think it's in hl2\materials\models\headcrab_classic) and modify it (you'll need VTFEdit and an image editing program).
Put the modified .vtf in steamapps\<user>\half-life 2\hl2\materials\models\headcrab_classic\

Those aren't just retextures, though. (in the video)

Spoiler: Headcrabs don't exist IRL.

I have just solved your problem.

I too have a fear of headhumpers, but only the poison ones, due to my extreme arachnophobia. The fast and regular ones I use for batting practice.

I can remember being bitten by the poisonous headcrab for the first time putting you on 1hp and panicking like crazy, not realising my health would go up again. It really scares you...especially when you first meet one in that tiny room in Ravenholm near the lever which turns off the electric fence (I think).

Back