Resident Evil 4 Better Sequel Than HL2?

E

eno801

I just got thru playing the demo for RE4 and man it gave me that " wow this game is so cool feeling " that HL2 did not. not to say HL2 is not a great game but for a sequel it felt more like Resident Evil Zero good fun, but derivative of its predecessor, no innovation. Valve should have been a little more daring. granted they did not want to break a formula that was golden. neither did the resident evil series and it kind of stagnated them until now. man running from crazed villagers, barricading the door, shooting some dude trying to get in the window, then running upstairs kicking a few guys down off of the ladder then blowing some dudes up close with the shotgun, jumping thru the window trying to stay alive on the roof while throwing incendiary grenades to the chainsaw mother*******! and you can shoot the chicken! the resident evil series has finally evolved and i am not ragging on valve. I mean resident evil milked their cow for all it was worth til they finally decided to change (typical capcom) and this only the second in the half life series, but man i wish valve had gone hog wild and not tried to play it safe. just my opinions

hl's original formula was a lot better than re's
re needed a change a lot more

RE4 does look ****ing awesome. Is it only for gamecube?

oh wait..no i think i'm thinking about another game..

it comes out for gc next month, and for ps2 in q4.... so it's 'only for gamecube' for a while

I hate how capcom broke their agreement thing with nintendo by relaseing RE4 on pos2. The 4 new RE games were originally gamecube only titles. That was one of the only titiles the gamecube had going for it. :( But ya RE4 looks really fun and I can't wait to play it, however IMO HL2 was a worthy sequel to HL.

OH GUYZ, DIS GAME IS COMING OUT AND ITZ OGNNA BE BETTA THAN HL2. JUS LIKE WORLD OF WARCRAFT, STALKER, FEAR, omg omg, DONT FERGET QUAEKE FOUR MAN........ DAD IS LIKE 80 TIMES BETTER THAN HL@@@@!!!!!1111111

Garric said:
OH GUYZ, DIS GAME IS COMING OUT AND ITZ OGNNA BE BETTA THAN HL2. JUS LIKE WORLD OF WARCRAFT, STALKER, FEAR, omg omg, DONT FERGET QUAEKE FOUR MAN........ DAD IS LIKE 80 TIMES BETTER THAN HL@@@@!!!!!1111111

Wish i had a DAD like that, who was 80 times better then HL@@@@.

And euhm, i hate resident evil games, i just hate the game play, I need shoot em up games or GTA style ones.
sports games are cool too, but i really hate RE and Final Fantasy.

the point of re4 is that it's basically a shoot-em-up

jimmyjam said:
the point of re4 is that it's basically a shoot-em-up

I know but i just hate the perspective and the fact that you always need to find stuff (keys,maps,whatever...) I just want games where you run over the ammo and the ammo is in your gun and you can go blast some ****s .

Garric said:
OMFG ME TINKS YOUR BEING RIGHT!!!111!............NOT!!!!!!!11one!111!!!!!!!
BUT ANYWAY HAHA

tEh OWnagE!!!!!!!@@!!11elevenn!!!!11

You've gotta be kidding me. The RE4 demo isn't that good. It does look like a good game but man... It looks like they resurected the voice acting from RE 1. You'd think that by 4 they'd have that part ironed out.

eno801 said:
and this only the second in the half life series, but man i wish valve had gone hog wild and not tried to play it safe. just my opinions

i agree with u there

i cant wait for quake4, i hope that one fulfills ALL my expectations of it.

and it isnt so much abut the graphics in a game , although they do count, its the gameplay and content that really matters.

WHAT!? does EVERY game need to be compared to HL2? Must be a good sign for Half-Life 2 if everyone is trying to compare games of a completely unrelated genre/platform to it.

When VALVe gets up to Half-Life 4 then we can talk, CapCom have had 4 attemps at a Resident Evil plus numerous attempts at other spin offs and IP's. I'm not saying the previous installments in the RE franchise aren't good, because they are, they're just not "great" games in my opinion, especially when it comes to characters and voice acting!

I watched a DVD preview of RES4 today, thanks to our resident console nut.

Although I thought it looked good and 'felt' atmospheric, I couldn't help but laugh at the woeful AI (zombie walks, then suddenly runs, then walks again or another instance where a zombie stands motionlessly behind a door until you walk right into the shed), clipping (enemies clipping each other) and the lack of effect from a point-blank shotgun blast to the head of an enemy.

I must say I haven't played any demos of this but all the reviews I've read have pretty much said the gut-churning atmosphere and innovation of the game is ruined by crappy inventory engine and constant backtracking throughout the game as you can only hold X amount of items... aw ****, I'm thinking of silent hill 4 aren't I

dumbass

the RE are a classics from me, I remenber them since a long time

and please dont start whit that stupid coments like "consoles are for gays,PC ar for man""consoles players hav 10 of IQ PC gamers hav 1999999 of IQ,consoles players must die and dont deserve be called gamers"

bah sure a lot of people will do it

i am comparing it half life because we are on a half life board.

about the voice acting i thought it was pretty good.

the shotgun is fantastic at close range it will blow heads off or send them reeling back if aimed at the body.

about a.i. well half life's is not the be all and end all as i finished the game on hard and found it too easy i think far cry edges it out barely. but that is here nor there there have been various discusions on a.i. and i don't care to get into one.

my point was the thrill i got playing the game. i was like oh sh** oh sh** i am gonna die, run, run, shoot.....damn just got my head chainsawed off. lol. the only thing close to that feeling in half life for me was the strider battle, but once i found that sorta hiding place with the rocket ammo box all i had to do was peek out shoot and repeat till they came down.

to repeat i am not knocking half life i was just ruminating on what could have been or if you want what half life 4 is gonna be like :cheers:

eno801 said:
i am comparing it half life because we are on a half life board.

about the voice acting i thought it was pretty good.

Eh?

That's like me going on to a Playstation 2 forum and comparing PS2's with Ferrari's because "We're on a PS2 forum". Incase you didn't notice, halflife2.net has a "General Games Discussion", which means, believe it or not, that's where you talk about games like Resident Evil, not in the General Half-Life 2 forum. I still don't agree with the comparisons you are drawing up, I play different genre's depending on what mood I'm in.

I love the RE franchise, but so far I don't think they've been "great", and in my book certainly don't hold up to a second run through, but I'm still not going to compare it with Half-Life 2 which is an Action orientated FPS. I bet you've only played Resident Evil on the gamecube haven't you?

Im about as much a RE fan as a HL fan and to me, HL2 is far more truer to its routes than re4.
RE is about zombies not "crazed villagers", its like turning the combine in HL into pink dinosaurs or something. As refreshing as 4 looks, its still a let down, yes, its interactivity is nice but overall its just a sellout.

Raawr said:
Wish i had a DAD like that, who was 80 times better then HL@@@@.
Genius! i was thinking the same thing, hahaha.

Btw Resi evil is more focused on giving you frights and not enough ammo to feed yourself. HL2 is different all over. Gameplay rocks the house on a regular basis.

You know...both games can be good.

It is possible.

And for the record, my dad is 80 times cooler than HL.

My guitar roxxors HL2!

... But I understand that that may not be what everyone thinks; if you think that RE4 is better than HL2, so be it. You like the parts of games that make your adrenaline gush out and light you up like New York at Christmas night. I like other parts more.

re4 comes nowhere NEAR to hl2's league...there is NOTHING more you can say

If i recall right, the "crazed villagers" city is where the t-virus was released back in the fírst game, its along time since i played those re1 , 2 and 3 on playstation 1 hehe, but it fits somewhere in the story before all that with the police station, and before Nemesis

Wasn't there a thread about HL2's wow moments before, or at least something like it? I know I felt that way when the metropolice told me to pick up the can and put it in the trash can, when the train ran the cops over on the railway or at the wooden bridge you can blow up; for me there were lots of 'wow' moments throughout the game that help (among other things) to set it apart HL1 and many other games. Of course what may wow one person may not wow another since game experiences are so subjective.

Personally, i dont think its fair to compare the two.

They're on two different consoles, with two different controllers.

Raawr said:
I know but i just hate the perspective and the fact that you always need to find stuff (keys,maps,whatever...) I just want games where you run over the ammo and the ammo is in your gun and you can go blast some ****s .

Um, that's what RE4 is going to be.
Blast some things, run awy from crazy people. Blast more of them.
They've gon for action, not suspense this time.

Hehehe, when the guard told me to pick up the can I picked it up and threw it at him and he got angry and started beating me with the stick. That was so awesome. HL2 pwns RE4 in so many ways. It has more than just one type of gameplay, RE games are too repetitive.

Back