Resident Evil 4 PC

One of my "friends" tried the "demo" and lets just say everything was fine and dandy up until the first intro movie was over.

EDIT: It appears those artifacts are supposed to be fog maybe? I think all the textures are gone/black or the non-existent lighting just happens to be black on "his" computer.

This game is disgusting. I can't believe people are even defending this crapola. Here is a review of the game from someone who has it:

http://biohaze.com/re4pc.html

Everything is inferior to the several year old console versions. I don't think I would want this game if it was offered to me for free. Games like this shouldn't even be released. Buggy, Ugly and with crap controls. Can it get any worse then this port?

I hope Ubisoft sees the abomination that has been created and does something about it :(

I can overlook the crappy textures(they look relatively fine), I can overlook the mouse support(the game was designed for an analog stick, using arow keys to look around is fair enough) but what's up with crappy non-existent lighting? The game looks like it's in fullbright, just ugly...

Um... Analog sticks are a helluva lot more responsive and natural compared to using keypad. I mean, wouldn't this be a little similar like trying to play an FPS with a keypad? It may be feasible, but complete shit compared to a mouse (good luck doing CS with a keypad :p).

Um... Analog sticks are a helluva lot more responsive and natural compared to using keypad. I mean, wouldn't this be a little similar like trying to play an FPS with a keypad? It may be feasible, but complete shit compared to a mouse (good luck doing CS with a keypad :p).
I know, but the game would be too easy with a mouse, it's not an fps after all.

not the point really. they said they were going to port it to pc and mouse support is an absolute must. its not 1994 anymore to be fair and mouse support was expected as standard

Isn't that the player's choice? Mouse support is as elementary basic and essential to PC gaming, as numbers are to math. Sure there are ways to do it without it, but it's really stupid.

This game is disgusting. I can't believe people are even defending this crapola. Here is a review of the game from someone who has it:

http://biohaze.com/re4pc.html

Everything is inferior to the several year old console versions. I don't think I would want this game if it was offered to me for free. Games like this shouldn't even be released. Buggy, Ugly and with crap controls. Can it get any worse then this port?

Yeah, but I for one have never played the console versions, I`m fine with the controls seeing as I didn`t assume there would be mouse support, and I`m quite enjoying the game.

It`s not a matter of defending it, I agree, the full lit levels do sometimes look arse and maybe it`s just an engine setting that can be fixed in a patch, but the gameplay is the same, and it`s that that I am enjoying.

It almost seems like the version on torrent sites is not a final build. I mean, the game calls itself "Biohazard", yet only installs in English, so it can't be a multiregion version. Fullbright seems inexplicably on, it doesn't detect the two XB360 triggers in control setup, and the video options are extremely limited (even for a shoddy port). I wouldn't be surprised if this is just an earlier build or something.

Probably final build. They wouldn't bother making an installer if it wasn't ready. And it's called biohazard in Europe, so that just means it got leaked from there rather than the US.

"Hey, lets make the game ugly on the PC, so they will rush out and buy a console"
"Great idea!"
*PC GAMER - stab stab stab*

Probably final build. They wouldn't bother making an installer if it wasn't ready. And it's called biohazard in Europe, so that just means it got leaked from there rather than the US.

No, you miss my point. I'm wondering if an employer took an earlier build and coded an installer himself.

You probably haven't seen the installer. It looks very official and a lot more professional than what someone would use to distribute an early build.

I've seen it, and I disagree. It doesn't look like it'd be all that difficult to make.

Furthermore, the desktop icon isn't capitalized, so it just says "biohazard 4". And if you go into task manager, it's listed as simply "game.exe". Even a crappy port wouldn't overlook something that obvious.

Not that I've played it or anything... :hmph:

yes it would. i believe this to be the final build and thats it. we're not in for anything good

This reminds me of Devil May Cry 3 for PC.. Good for PS2, retarded for PC.

This reminds me of Devil May Cry 3 for PC.. Good for PS2, retarded for PC.

It was playable with a controller . . . . but the sad thing is you have to buy a controller to play it. You're screwed if you use the kehyboard and mouse, I never got the mouse to work. The game itself was good enough that I actually played through most of it after I bought a controller. I hate using game-pads though.

The worst port though (other than RE4) was MGS2 (I think it was 2) for PC. Even with a controller, that game was basically unplayable & you had to map KEYBOARD LETTERS to PLAYSTATION BUTTONS. Yea, there was no label like "jump" you had to map to L1, X, etc.

It was playable with a controller . . . . but the sad thing is you have to buy a controller to play it. You're screwed if you use the kehyboard and mouse, I never got the mouse to work. The game itself was good enough that I actually played through most of it after I bought a controller. I hate using game-pads though.

The worst port though (other than RE4) was MGS2 (I think it was 2) for PC. Even with a controller, that game was basically unplayable & you had to map KEYBOARD LETTERS to PLAYSTATION BUTTONS. Yea, there was no label like "jump" you had to map to L1, X, etc.

That's funny, I figured they ported the (already shoddy) X-BOX port to PC, seeing as the architecture is a lot more similar. Anyway, Japanese developers don't know shit about creating PC games, nor do they care. I wouldn't be surprised if this port was just five low level technicians in a tiny office or if they farmed it out to some shitty Taiwanese firm. It looks to have lower production values than most emulators.

The fullbright is what's most ridiculous. The game could be expected to look shit in high resolutions (it doesn't even hold up when you set it to progressive scan on PS2, honestly looks better without it) ... but there's no excuse for no lighting whatsoever.

The fullbright is what's most ridiculous. The game could be expected to look shit in high resolutions (it doesn't even hold up when you set it to progressive scan on PS2, honestly looks better without it) ... but there's no excuse for no lighting whatsoever.
On my computer it seems the "full bright" actually became "full dark" which means it's completly unplayable. You're right, there's no excuse for such shitty graphics - this is as bad as a couple guys in a garage hacking source code to make it barely PC compatable. I'd rather see it on the half-life 1 engine.

I love playing it on the Gamecube (only played for about an hour, but gameplay is AWESOME), but there's only so much I can overlook. I really wanted to buy this game, but the "demo" convinced me otherwise.

Actually, what I've heard is that CAPCOM was doing the Asian port, while Ubi was porting it in the US and Europe. I have absolutely nothing to back up that statement, but if it's true, yay.

Awww, i wanted to play RE4 on PC...aww well, i have no money anyway...

Actually, what I've heard is that CAPCOM was doing the Asian port, while Ubi was porting it in the US and Europe. I have absolutely nothing to back up that statement, but if it's true, yay.

Let's hope that's true.

/hope

I thought I might have seen that somewhere too . . . but it could just be fan speculation. Anyway I won't get my hopes up unless I see it.

Originally posted by WIKIPEDIA MOTHERF*CKERS
A PC port of Resident Evil 4 will be published in 2007 by Ubisoft (in Europe and the United States[16]) and by Electronic Arts (in Asia[17]). An exact release date has yet to be announced.[18] There is no planned release in Japan. The port will contain the bonus features from the PlayStation 2 version, such as "Separate Ways", the new weapon P.R.L. 412 laser cannon, and unlockable costumes for Leon and Ashley. It is said that the port will have graphics potentially superior to those of the GameCube.[19] However a version of the PC port leaked in early February 2007[20] has significantly worse graphics than either the Gamecube or PS2 version.[21] It is unknown whether the leaked version represents the graphical quality to be expected from the game when it is officially released.

EDIT FOR EXTRA AWESOMENESS:

Amazon.com also lists the US version's publisher as Ubisoft, and says that the game is out March 8th. Booyakasha!

sourcenext.com ported it
seems like they also ported the shitty version of devil may cry 3 se and onimusha 3 too

MGS 2 was a very good port, it looked beautiful and played very well with a controller, intact it played exactly as the ps2 or xbox

EDIT FOR EXTRA AWESOMENESS:

Amazon.com also lists the US version's publisher as Ubisoft, and says that the game is out March 8th. Booyakasha!

Interesting . . .

Note that a different publisher doesn't imply a different developer. the publisher is simply the company that "prints" it (a.k.a. makes and distributes the DVDs with the game on it)

There is a patch out for the pc version that solves much of the graphical issues.
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=42229&mode=thread&order=0

re4pc1.jpg

re41-2.jpg

No Patch
re45ai4.jpg

Patched
re41ph2.jpg

RE4.jpg

It's really poor that the game needs to be patched to enable ligthing. :sleep:

How long before someone releases a game with no textures? :p

All those shots bugged me because Leon (it's Leon, right?) is in the EXACT SAME POSE for those 3 shots.

> >

< <

> >

Does this patch add proper mouse and keyboard support?

If not, then why bother? If you need a gamepad to play it on the PC then you should just stick with the console version.

Back