Rest in Peace Bob Anderson

morgs

The Freeman
Reaction score
Very sad news, he played a part in lots of big films as a sword master consultant/trainer. I remember seeing him training extras for LOTR, he seemed like a pretty hard case.

Bob Anderson, 89, a fencing master who coached British Olympians before becoming Hollywood’s premier choreographer of sword-fighting, tutoring the likes of Sean Connery, Errol Flynn and Lindsay Lohan in the art of the blade, died Jan. 1 at a hospital in West Sussex, England.

Mr. Anderson secretly earned an enduring place in cinematic lore as the man behind the mask and light saber of archvillain Darth Vader in two “Star Wars” films.
In “Empire,” it is Mr. Anderson who severs the right hand of Luke Skywalker, played by Mark Hamill, in the climactic scene where Vader, voiced by James Earl Jones, says to Luke, “I am your father.”

His credits included “The Princess Bride” (1987), the Lord of the Rings trilogy (2000s), and a 1998 remake of “The Parent Trap,” for which Mr. Anderson instructed a freckly-faced youth — Lohan.

He trained the rapier-rattling heroes played by Charlie Sheen and Kiefer Sutherland for “The Three Musketeers” (1993). He was Connery’s double in “Highlander” (1986). He perfected the swordsmanship of Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in “Pirates of the Carribbean” (2003).

“The sword is the ultimate weapon,” Mr. Anderson told the Los Angeles Times in 1995.

source

Had no idea he existed, but those are some pretty impressive credits. RIP.

Stabbing Errol Flynn is quite the accomplishment. I've seen that guy fight a room full of Prince John's men and come out unscathed.

Back