Retail Half-Life 2 activated at a specific time?

Harryz

Tank
Reaction score
Okay, everyone knows that its required to have an internet connection to activate Half-Life 2 through retail. But, I was wondering if it will be activated to play as same time as Steam (for those who bought the packages through Steam) or is it activated straight away through retail, instead of waiting for a specific time.

Errr, if that makes sense.

jus go play with ur self the time passes fast n hl2 will b in ur hands n a jiffy

It should be activated for both steam and retail(at the same time) at 12am(0:00) 16th november australian time.

However i'm still doubting it even though it's still determined by a contract.

Cause i'm still wondering what effect it would have on a customer to get a couple of days early and not be able to play.

Australian time? My guess is pacific time, as that's what Valve has used for their past releases.

I doubt any retail stores will be open at that time to sell HL2.

SaltyCrackers said:
Find something to do with your time.

Coming from a person whos named himself after a Savory snack, no offence taken.

Thanks for the help FISKER_Q and others.

Demonmerc said:
Australian time? My guess is pacific time, as that's what Valve has used for their past releases.

which games were released at PST?

Demonmerc said:

Retail stores in Australia will be open at that time...it doesn't make much sense for Australians to be able to buy the game but then have to wait until 6:00 PM PST to activate, now does it... :E

Demonmerc said:
cs:source beta, cs:source full

But those were both steam-only releases, we haven't had to deal with an activation time for a joint Steam/Retail release yet.

it will be release 12 midnight pacific *SEARCH BUTTON*

Hopefully we'll get 12am australian time, but i'd go with 12 am Greenwich time. Just to keep it mostly "equal" to all

7hoR said:
it will be release 12 midnight pacific *SEARCH BUTTON*

People here keep taking speculation as fact. YOU use the search button. Find where Valve or VU have said 12 midnight PST.

trantjd said:
But those were both steam-only releases, we haven't had to deal with an activation time for a joint Steam/Retail release yet.

Also, keep in mind that the retail release is not being taken care of by Valve. Vivendi Universal has offices all over the world.

why australian time and not new zealand time? or some pacific island even? by that logic it should be activated as soon as it hits 12am, Nov 16th on the international dateline.

I think it will be released on the 16th after Gabe's had his breakfast ... so expect it sometime just before lunch. ;)

deltree said:
why australian time and not new zealand time? or some pacific island even? by that logic it should be activated as soon as it hits 12am, Nov 16th on the international dateline.
Why the **** would Vivendi sell any half-life 2 copies on some god forsaken island?

But why they choose Australia instead of New Zealand i don't know. But it does change a lot since i thought Australia was GMT+12(I was told Auckland was in australia)

australia is GMT + 10 (EDIT - on the east coast)
Auckland is in New Zealand and is GMT +12

well if you want a world wide release on the 16th of november then you would have to release hl2 on the 16th of november at 1200h GMT.

this way it will have been released on the 16th of nov. in the whole world. any other time would imply that in some countries hl2 will be available earlier (15th nov.) or later (17th of nov.) :upstare:

Back