Retail owners can NEVER play DoD:S or HL:S?

alan8325

Reaction score
I just read an e-mail on the Info from Valve thread that states that retail owners will not be able to upgrade to the Silver Steam package. Does this mean that if I buy through retail, I will never be able to legally play DoD:S or HL:S? I was planning on buying retail and then maybe upgrading later, but now I'm not sure what to do.

I think evetually they will release DoD:S and HL:S in Steam individually, probably for around $10 each. Of course I don't know this for a fact, but it does seem logical.

alan8325 said:
I just read an e-mail on the Info from Valve thread that states that retail owners will not be able to upgrade to the Silver Steam package. Does this mean that if I buy through retail, I will never be able to legally play DoD:S or HL:S? I was planning on buying retail and then maybe upgrading later, but now I'm not sure what to do.
Could be that DoD: Source gets released retail.

And it's been know for quite some time now that they wouldn't/couldn't allow upgrades from retail to steam.

Nope... at least not at this time... i don't recall if later valve might add that option but i dbout it. I would just go with silver and burn a backup dvd and make your own custom cover like a lot of people have been doing :-P

DoD:S will almost certainly be available as a stand alone purchase (and probably HL:S as well).

I really think owners of HL1 and HL2 retail should be allowed to d/l HL:source at least!

I remember somewhere they said that it would be available as a seperate purchase.

brisck1 said:
I really think owners of HL1 and HL2 retail should be allowed to d/l HL:source at least!

HL:S is in retail CE

yep for retail it's either CSS & HL2 package, or COllecters Edition which has it all.

i'll be honest here, i dont pay for a movie twice.

yeah i know its in the CE, but Im not waiting until Xmas to play CE HL2. Right now I have the normal retail package. My point is if we already own HL and HL2 shouldn't that entitle us to HL:S for free? other wise we would just be paying even more cash for something we technically already own (HL1 + Source engine)

brisck1 said:
yeah i know its in the CE, but Im not waiting until Xmas to play CE HL2. Right now I have the normal retail package. My point is if we already own HL and HL2 shouldn't that entitle us to HL:S for free? other wise we would just be paying even more cash for something we technically already own (HL1 + Source engine)
Yeah, just tell that to Valve and pray. Im too really pissed, because buying thru steam isnt an option for me :p

brisck1 said:
My point is if we already own HL and HL2 shouldn't that entitle us to HL:S for free? other wise we would just be paying even more cash for something we technically already own (HL1 + Source engine)

This is NOT a flame: This is the incentive for buying silver, gold or collector's editions. I haven't heard anything about a retail release for either dod:s or hl:s, but hopefully they will at some point. The reason I shelled out extra bucks for silver was to get the extra software. I am really looking forward to HL:S so I can see the difference between the two versions.

brisck1 said:
My point is if we already own HL and HL2 shouldn't that entitle us to HL:S for free? other wise we would just be paying even more cash for something we technically already own (HL1 + Source engine)

I haven't kept up with the ins and outs of HL:S, but it would be an idiotic situation if owners of HL and HL2 would be disallowed to play HL mod content on the Source engine.

Don't give a damn about Valve's HL:S non-event, but if some mod team can get a faithfully updated HL out of the door, I want in.

X-Vector said:
I haven't kept up with the ins and outs of HL:S, but it would be an idiotic situation if owners of HL and HL2 would be disallowed to play HL mod content on the Source engine.

Don't give a damn about Valve's HL:S non-event, but if some mod team can get a faithfully updated HL out of the door, I want in.

Whats even worse is that us that have HL1+2 have to pay for a straight port. I would be more understanding in the case of if it was CS:S that didnt come free as they are doing a complete overhaul of the levels/models/textures etc, but HL:S (from the info I have found) is same textures/models/levels with source physics and the odd bit if nice water.

If they had gone to some more effort as far as HL:S is concerned, and made something like the HL2: overhaul mod which is now being done by the community, I would be happy to fork out some well earned cash!

Maybe in time they'll release it for all. :(

That's why I consider HL:S a non-event; I don't care for CS, so there is no incentive to buy the CE.

Same here X-Vector, im pretty unexcited about CS and was really looking forward to some good old deathmatch most.

brisck1 said:
Same here X-Vector, im pretty unexcited about CS and was really looking forward to some good old deathmatch most.

It has been confirmed (by Valve... Eric I think) that HL:S will not include the HL: DM multiplayer component.

exactly what brisck1 said.
nothing more to add.

there should be a petition to valve making all HL related games that has been "ported" to source free to download.

i'd be happy also taking HL1 stucking it into the new hammer out comes HL:S and charging money for it, i know these guys have worked hard over the years but valve seems to get the "microsoft" attiude - charge money for everything because we can.

but then they would be giving awaytheir new engine, that they spent years makeing, away for free.

VALVe owe you nothing.

HL:S is a bonus, free when you buy it with certain packages.

I'm still not a 100% sure why VALVe took the decision not to include a Half-Life 2 deathmatch. Perhaps they thought it too much work for something not that many people would play?

Perhaps they spent too long coverting CS over to Source they didn't have enough development time left for Half-Life 2 Deathmatch?

I'm not sure, but I'm praying we get some decent multiplayer Half-Life 2 mods that resemble Half-Life 2 deathmatch.

Every thought that they thought the physics reduction for the MP would make gamers get a little mad?

Obviously a mod will add in deathmatch, infact I bet that will be one of the first 10 mods released.

Yombi said:
but then they would be giving awaytheir new engine, that they spent years makeing, away for free.

VALVe owe you nothing.

HL:S is a bonus, free when you buy it with certain packages.

I dont see how it would be giving it away when we have already paid for it on retail?

brisck1 said:
I dont see how it would be giving it away when we have already paid for it on retail?

I was ment to quote the person who said aboud downloading it if you had HL1.

hmn...let me get this straight.

you can buy HL2 retail and you don't get HL:S.

you can buy HL2 on steam and you get HL:S

you can buy HL2 retail and wait for the community to do a REAL full conversion of HL1 to Source and download that for free.

What's the big deal?

X-Vector said:
That's why I consider HL:S a non-event; I don't care for CS, so there is no incentive to buy the CE.
thing is you get cs with the normal version too... and well its on 1 dvd compared to 6 cds
hmmm it seems even if its more expensive but having it all on 1 dvd is handy

benpatient said:

you can buy HL2 retail and wait for the community to do a REAL full conversion of HL1 to Source and download that for free.

What's the big deal?
no
normal retail hl2 does not have hl:s + it comes on 6 cds

Collectors Retail hl2 Does have hl:s + its all on 1 dvd

and hl:s that you get is the real conversion... just with better graphics and some tweaks...

What ever happened to mods being free?? Damn money grubbing bastards.

The Brew Master said:
and you would have to wait till Xmas for the CE edition,why?

The official word is that the CE will not be out at the same time as HL2 normal retail. I remember reading that it was due sometime in December.

normal retail hl2 does not have hl:s + it comes on 6 cds

Actually im 99% sure the UK version of HL2 standard retail comes on DVD also.

What's the big deal?

My point is I have Already paid for HL1 and HL2! the question is: why should I have to buy them again (the extra charge for silver)

You are right on your last sentence though, I think a community overhaul will be much better than a straight port! :)

I'm either going to buy the standard retail or the bronze steam package.

I heard that a mod team is making a HL:S with completely upgraded content. I wonder if it is legal for them to release it for free when Valve is charging for their HL:S? If so, i'm not sure I want to shell out another $10 just for DoD:S. I'll wait to see what people say about it.

Are they planning on charging for all HL2 mods? If they do they are pretty much going to kill the mod scene that kept HL1 in sales for over 5 years.

Short term it makes financial sense but in the long term it will stunt HL2

HL2 CE will be available on the same day as HL2 otherwise why would people wait to buy the CE?

Dont scare people by saying it wont be available till december cause that is false.

I liked it if Valve would give the retail standard buyers the choice of what to get besides HL2, because there are a lot of retail buyers that don't give a sh*t about CS Source but prefer another Source upgrade like DoD Source or HL Source. After you installed HL2 you should get the option too download and unlock one of the Source upgrades for free. If you want HL Source and CS Source you choose one of the two for free and buy the other for something like $10.

alan8325 said:

Valve is apparently so mad at Vivendi that even paying customers get shafted.

Kragoth said:
HL2 CE will be available on the same day as HL2 otherwise why would people wait to buy the CE?

Dont scare people by saying it wont be available till december cause that is false.

Im not trying to scare people but it is a FACT that the CE will not be out on Nov 16th. The CE will follow two or three of weeks after. My date may not be accurate, but im not lying about this. Like I said before im 99% sure CE will not be out at the same time as the standard retail package,

I'd love to be proved wrong on this though as I would buy the CE if it came out Nov 16th too

iamaelephant said:
I think evetually they will release DoD:S and HL:S in Steam individually, probably for around $10 each. Of course I don't know this for a fact, but it does seem logical.
I'd say they would be at least $20-30 each. It's better to go with Steam Silver package, knowing you get HL:S, CS:S, and DOD:S + all of back catalog for $10.

thats just f*cking great.

i think to myself, "i dont want to order off steam, i dont trust it. what if the download goes wrong or my account goes dodgy? then i would effectively no longer own half life 2".

so i think, "i know- ill buy retail. then i will have a nice shiny DVD".

then i realise that nothing comes with retail... si i think "ill get the collectors edition! then i'll get everything except DOD:S, which i never liked anyway!"

Then i fimd out collectors edition doesnt exist in any UK shops or sites untill christmas.... great.

so i am left with a dodgy digital version (i wouldnt burn it onto CDs because its 6 CDs, and its the CD key that matters anyway) or a retail version that doesnt give me HL:S.

...i accept how valve want to make 100% profit over steam, but making sure that you can only get HL:S and DOD:S over steam (meaning that almost everyone does it that way) is a selfish and dastardly way of cutting vivendi out of the equation. i can understand how they want the money but they dont have to force us to buy it off steam in the meantime.

i should complain and get them to send me a DVD through the post. i mean, why should i get picked on just because i want a retail case? i dont want my favorite game to be trapped in my PC. i want a DVD copy!

i really, REALLY dont want to give my mums credit card details to steam. so what am i going to do?

retail: You get a DVD and a shiny case
Steam: you get HL:s and DOD:S, plus i can play CS:S right now

:/

Back