Retail owners can NEVER play DoD:S or HL:S?

Beazil said:
This is NOT a flame: This is the incentive for buying silver, gold or collector's editions. I haven't heard anything about a retail release for either dod:s or hl:s, but hopefully they will at some point. The reason I shelled out extra bucks for silver was to get the extra software. I am really looking forward to HL:S so I can see the difference between the two versions.
Hear of the half life 2 collectors edition(retail)??
it comes with halflife 2, hl:s,CS:s on 1 dvd
and a tshirt and a sampler of the guide

hex said:
I'd say they would be at least $20-30 each. It's better to go with Steam Silver package, knowing you get HL:S, CS:S, and DOD:S + all of back catalog for $10.

No way they could charge this much for two straight ports, I dont think Valve could go that far without justifying the price (say a complete remake of both mods with extra material up to HL2 quality)

Otherwise why would you fork out all that money when its just HL1 with 'Source' next to its name?

Obviously Valve doesn't want to give HL1 away for free. Half Life 1 is still selling fairly well. If you gave HL1:Source away for free with HL2, then those who haven't played HL1 yet, won't even bother with purchasing HL1 and will just purchase HL2 instead, thus hurting HL1 sales. Remember, there are some people who will be playing HL2 who haven't played HL1 yet. After playing HL2 some of those people may want to purchase the first HL1 and give it a go. From a business stand point, if you're going to offer HL1 with HL2, you have to have some way to make up the difference from those potential lost HL1 sales. Therefore, this $10 charge is understandable.

Then again, I wish Valve had offered those of us who already have HL1 a free patch to upgrade their copy to HL:Source. That would definitely have been nice.

my parent bought my hl2 for christmas
i requested the cd beacause i had no idea i would be able to backup hl2 onto a cd
the sole reason for buying hl2 was dod:s and other mods on now i find that i cant upgrade?? for all they know i want to upgrade and get me some posters and a hat and of course a post card (that would have given them alot of cash for very few goods)
well done valve.. shoot your marketing people and hire some human beings

Who cares? They both suck. DOD:Source had potential but they just reused the SAME EXACT MODELS with their pointy chins and the weapons look horrible. At least with CS they made new models and completely redid the maps. DOD source they just took the same game, added some new water, explosions and ragdolls and are selling it like new.

And do I even have to get started on how much of a hoax HL:Source is?

Back