Retailer ripoff!!!

R

ReadingTooDeep

So I picked up my copy of Half-Life 2: Collector's Edition today from Best Buy. Now, when I get home and go on Steam I notice that the Half-Life 2:Silver Edition comes with not only the stuff the Retail version came with (Minus lousy shirt) but it also comes with Day Of Defeat Source and Valve's back catalog. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!! I paid $80.00 where I could have paid $60.00 and got more out of it if I bought it online!!! Will the retail collectors edition get all the HL2:Silver stuff or am I a fool?

Not to sound too much like a d**k, but maybe you should have checked the interweb a bit before you purchased.

Sorry for the bummer, man... :(

Look at it this way - you still get to play HL2 on Tuesday!

It's not so much of a retailer rip off but a Steam scheme. They're trying to get as many people to buy over Steam as possible.
But on the bright side: you can sell the CE. If you didn't plug in your key yet (if that even works)

:( But, if you get it through Steam you do not get the discs, correct? What happens if you get a new hard drive or have to format?

I bought two copies. One for me and one for my bro. His is still un-opened, is it possible to give my brother my copy? I did reg. it allready, but if he uses my info, will that work?

Trebaruna said:
It's not so much of a retailer rip off but a Steam scheme. They're trying to get as many people to buy over Steam as possible.
But on the bright side: you can sell the CE. If you didn't plug in your key yet (if that even works)

You can install the game key off the box but Half-Life 2 will still be under "Coming Soon". Once the decision is made to unlock HL2, it will drop into the "My Games" list.

And that is indeed true, Valve had to add some extra incentive to the Steam packages, because they want people to buy via Steam rather than retail. They make more (much more) hard-earned money that way, so who can blame them?

-UnmarkedOne

ReadingTooDeep said:
:( But, if you get it through Steam you do not get the discs, correct? What happens if you get a new hard drive or have to format?

Valve has your CD Key, so all you have to do is re-download Steam, installit and reconnect to your account, then redownload HL2. Done. :)

Or, burn it all to a DVD...

ReadingTooDeep said:
I bought two copies. One for me and one for my bro. His is still un-opened, is it possible to give my brother my copy? I did reg. it allready, but if he uses my info, will that work?
Yeah he can just take your account and switch the email etc. to his account etc.

Just make a new one for you and register silver on it (that way you obviously have HL with it as well :D)

And if you have to reformat back the files up (steam://backup/ will pop up a utility for that, or right click on the game in the list)

Cool! So it looks like I am not screwed then. Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it!

ReadingTooDeep said:

You don't get discs with the Steam purchase, but there's an option in Steam to easily burn your own backup of the HL2/Steam files, which is just as good. If your HD goes bad or you reformat later on, just pop in the discs and you're ready to play HL2.

Also, if you've got a fast connection, you can re-download the game(s) anytime by just logging into your Steam account. HL2 is big but not that big, so I'm not even keeping a backup. If I need the files later I'll just start the download and step out for lunch.

-UnmarkedOne

LMAO!!! Yeah, well he said he did not care about all the other stuff and thought DLing was foolish! Now I know better. He won't care as long as he has HL2

CE retail is not that bad. granted, it's a lot of money and a lot of VU screwing you, but that in my opinion is worth it to have a hard copy in my hands. and there's nothing better than driving fast as hell to your local EB to buy the game. i guess it's my need for tangible items . . .and at least i'll get out of the house for awhile (since when i get back i'll be stuck on the comp for days straight :))

i do feel bad about not supporting VALVe more, since they deserve this money more than anybody.

and besides, it'll only cost around $10 for an upgrade to DOD:S, so it's not that bad. you'll have forgotten you already got screwed spending $80

UnmarkedOne said:
HL2 is big but not that big, so I'm not even keeping a backup. If I need the files later I'll just start the download and step out for lunch.
-UnmarkedOne

how big is HL2? just out of curiosity...?

[46] pushit [2] said:
and besides, it'll only cost around $10 for an upgrade to DOD:S, so it's not that bad.
What is your source on this? are u sure about this? cause im about to cancel my pre-order of HL2 and get it over steam... plz reply asap... also, hl2 fills up 5 cds, so thats at least between 4-5x800mb... so between 3.2gb n 4gb...

I got my CE at walmart.com preorderd a couple months ago for only 58$, before they upped the price, and i found the Prima Game Guide for only 11$ on mtv.com of all places. Check it out. For that kind of price, im glad i got the CE and not Silver, as id prolly rarely play dod:s

Quote:
Originally Posted by [46] pushit [2]
and besides, it'll only cost around $10 for an upgrade to DOD:S, so it's not that bad.
What is your source on this? are u sure about this? cause im about to cancel my pre-order of HL2 and get it over steam... plz reply asap...

Can someone please confirm this asap?

ReadingTooDeep said:

Back-up your Steam game files onto CDs. :dork:

About the DOD:S thing. I don't think it's possible.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=949160&postcount=785

While that doesn't specifically say DOD:S, the only difference between Retail and Silver is HL:S and DOD:S, so to me that says that you can't get DOD:S as an add-on to retail HL2.

The biggest reason I think this is that Vivendi has the rights to HL2 and Activision has the rights to DOD. I don't see Activision selling an add-on to a Vivendi product.

And since Retail HL2 is Vivendi's product, they are not going to allow Valve to sell add-ons over steam without getting a cut of the profits somehow.

Diazo

ReadingTooDeep said:
So I picked up my copy of Half-Life 2: Collector's Edition today from Best Buy. Now, when I get home and go on Steam I notice that the Half-Life 2:Silver Edition comes with not only the stuff the Retail version came with (Minus lousy shirt) but it also comes with Day Of Defeat Source and Valve's back catalog. WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!! I paid $80.00 where I could have paid $60.00 and got more out of it if I bought it online!!! Will the retail collectors edition get all the HL2:Silver stuff or am I a fool?
You didn't read deep enough, fool!

Back