Reviewer blames HL2 of "not showing their bad features in E3"

BTW, I think the reason that the Combine soldiers come out of the warehouse is because Gordon shoots some barrels outside with the Python, causing them to explode, before he goes up the crane. I'd wager the AI are able to react to noise, and heard the explosion, and therefore go outside to investigate.

Mr.Reak said:
The thing is, we can’t prove him wrong, because he has a point, HL2 wasn’t playable during E3. We can only wait for final product and judge ourselves for what it is, then we can spam that guy to death. While his article is aggressive and biased against HL2, he has some point in it, too bad he expressed his opinion in such way that people won’t take it seriously.

...bump...

Polykarbon said:
A lot of you need to grow up and understand that Valve isn't out to get you. They arn't scripting things on purpose, just to show you how bad ass they are. This was part of the reason for the 2 strider scenes. People kept bitching at them last year for "scripting everything" when in fact they didn't. Now they show you proof and you spit in their face. Kind of funny, considernig how you will all be "OMG THIS GAME RULEZ" when it is released.
best post ever

That is his opinion, dont go all fanboy and scrutinize his opinion. That is exactly what valve did, regardless of how much you dont want to believe it. Lets just hope that the gameplay lives up to all of our expectations.

I think he does have a point. Not very well formulated but a point nonetheless..

Jackal I hope you weren't using sarcasm....because my post is entirely valid...
Of course my opinoin is based on facts, mainly the stolen build, which allowed you to load config files and exec files for the AI. Not to mention the HL2 world mappers implementing great AI. I guess it is all scripted though, no matter what anybody tries to say. Even when the game is released people will still scream hatred for Valve.

I disagree that the actions where scripted sequences. I do beleive however that the show was "rigged".

Only becauase:

1 The people who puut together the E3 videos could have done it simply playing the same section over and over again until somthing really cool happened and they said "lets use that take".

2 There is gamplay value in the computer telling the AI "go over here (where the box will fall) so the player can do X, if he chooses". This allows discerning players to pick up on advantages in the game thanks to the physics.

Neither of these is a reason to sneer. It is just the way that the food in the box rarely looks like the picture on the front. Play it often and well enough and the same gameplay experience will probably eventually arise for any of us, and sometimes not, this is the wonder of the breadth of play provided.

If you pay attention, the player doesn't run through the fence, he actually hits the tree, the Combine is the thing that breaks the fence. Just an interesting tidbit.

The bottom line is that the video was made to show the many possibilities of using physics to your advantage. I am positive that the game will feature MANY of these instances and that they will be essential to winning.

Back