revolution?

jverne

Reaction score
almost evry fps after HL used some elements of HL (story telling,...)
in other words "HL was revolutionary"
But what about HL2? i know that it's not realeased yet but i belive it won't have that kind of impact like HL1 had!
but I do belive that steam is kind of a revolution! i won't be suprized if more and more companies will begin to use something like steam to sell theyre games!
personaly i think steam is not a bad idea afterall (atleast for finding servers, I hate gamespy)!

any comments?!

jverne said:
But what about HL2? i know that it's not realeased yet but i belive it won't have that kind of impact like HL1 had!
but I do belive that steam is kind of a revolution! i won't be suprized if more and more companies will begin to use something like steam to sell theyre games!
personaly i think steam is not a bad idea afterall (atleast for finding servers, I hate gamespy)!

any comments?!

It was hard to understand the majority of what you said but what I did gather is the HL2 not living up to HL1. This is very likely. Quake 2 never lived up to Quake and the Doom series have all fallen short of the initial Doom impact. Quake 3 was huge but it was not really a sequel more of a new concept. Unreal II fell short of Unreal's fame. The only game I know that continues to have more of an impact per release is UT2k4 and I dislike that series hehe :)

jverne said:
any comments?!
I think you're right. At least about HL² not being the revolution that HL was. Personally I think that has to do, to some degree, with the fact that HL came pretty early in the FPS-era and was fundamentaly different, both in gameworld and gameplay, than the usual run&gun games.

PC Gamer (US) thinks HL2 will be more revolutionary then HL1. And given the details of the review, I'm inclined to believe them,. even though I have held on to the opinion for the last 5 years that Half-Life was the best game ever made.

But of course, dont get overly expectatious. I'm ready for a somewhat flawed product. I'm certainly not expecting it to be the apex of my gaming experience.

For me, it's the prospect of a nude patch coming out shortly after HL2's release, so I can mod some kinky kind of lesbo s+m thing with Alyx and Mossman*

* Some or all of the above may not be strictly true.

I think HL1 was revolutionary in what it did but the execution wasn't neccesarily copied by the gaming community as I have yet to have had the same enjoyment playing another game as I did Half Life.

For me, HL had the x factor when it came to the total package for the game experience. I believe Valve has the ability to deliver another great gaming experience with HL2. Doesn't mean it is going to happen, but it is possible.

Also, the more I lower my expectations, the better chance I have at being impressed by the game. :D

true, true!
if you expect the worst, than you can't get dissapointed

well i've somewhat badly written the thread, what i wanted to discuss about Steam and its impact on game selling in the future!

As for steam, yes its great. Auto updates, the banning of cheaters, content servers, friends and chat integrated inot the games, the reorginized distribution system that cuts out the middlemen, and quality server listings.

It is a slient revolution, that will undoubtably change the face of the gaming community. It will be interesting to see how things unfold as VALVe opens steam to other developers.

the concept is great,. however i have three complaints,. listed here from least to greatest,.

1) The server list needs text filtering
2) Friends is seriously broken
3) we have yet to see lower priced games, even though no money is going to retailers or publishers. Hopefully this will come in the future, when the contracts with publishers are not so limiting.

I think hl2 will have a bigger impact then hl1.

f|uke said:
even though I have held on to the opinion for the last 5 years that Half-Life was the best game ever made.
Sorry, but (IMO) Deus ex is the best game ever created:/

operative x said:

I agree Deus Ex is BY FAR the best game ever made. Story, fun factor, replayability, environment. Everything about Deus Ex was perfect. No game comes close.

Raziel-Jcd said:
I agree Deus Ex is BY FAR the best game ever made. Story, fun factor, replayability, environment. Everything about Deus Ex was perfect. No game comes close.

Hrm well my opinion differs. I would say Quake and Duke Nukem 3d were some of the best games made. But I am speaking about Multiplayer games. Single Player games... umm

Goonies on NES
:LOL:

Most reviewers believe hl2 will have a much bigger impact. The reasoning as i understand it is hl2 has all the elements that the original had, in an evolutionary method. But what source tech enables is revolutionary. Not onl;y from the single player side, allowing you to have scripted and unscripted story elements and a choas enviornment, but also on the technology side. The whole backwards compatible concept is revolutionary in terms of sequels. You can convert a hl1 mod to source relatively easily, and than start working otuward upgrading it to push the engine. Just the technologies that allow for easier modding, at the same time the steam backend for better distribution, enhanced security, the ability for successful mod teams to get off the ground by offering their titles for a very very low price. Pack it all together, and you have a game that will have a very long lifespan. Especially with the ability to upgrade the engine on the fly as new technologies arise, 3dc, sm3.0. This kind of stuff is sweet. I think most people play cs:S and say thats it? What they don't realize is cs:S isn't using sources full capabilities to the max, just using the capabilities where they are needed slightly. For instance in vampire masquerade bloodlines and half life 2 single player experiances, you will see a totally physically simullated environment. Because of the setting of vampire bloodlines, you will see sources true view distance rendering capabilities. God i love the possibilities 3d skyboxes give. I'd love to see someone recode in some tile-mapping, that +3d skyboxes would make any gta3 fan weep in their sleep.

Though it's true that HL2 is going to have a difficult time proving more revolutionary than it's predecessor, it does have several powerful features going for it:

1) Facial animation/expression system built into Source, and extremely powerful SDK tools to utilize the feature.

2) The first game where it's actually, frequently important or advantageous to use physics to your advantage by knocking large objects on top of enemies, flinging items at your enemies, etc.

3) Moderate processor requirements, compared to other recent games. This game is going to appeal to a much wider audience, in terms of computer power, than say, Doom 3 or Far Cry did.

4) Story, story, story. The story in HL2 will easily top any recent shooter, clearly standing out above Doom 3 and Far Cry, and certainly Halo 2.

-UnmarkedOne

Just about the steam thing, VALVe are sort of luckly (the position with their publishers).

They actually own their own IP to their own games (for now) which most game companies give over to publishers when they sign the contract with them. VALVe had heaps of money to start with too, so that would of been a great help with publishers (not needing to pay anything).

Most of the other game dev companies doesn't have this ammount of freedom. So, starting something like steam would be impossible.

As for the prices, welllllll, probably won't see that untill there's a independant game company (there is one but i can't remember who they are atm).

Don't think we will see a steam revolution yet, unless VALVe turn into a publisher lolol.

UnmarkedOne said:
Though it's true that HL2 is going to have a difficult time proving more revolutionary than it's predecessor, it does have several powerful features going for it:

1) Facial animation/expression system built into Source, and extremely powerful SDK tools to utilize the feature.

2) The first game where it's actually, frequently important or advantageous to use physics to your advantage by knocking large objects on top of enemies, flinging items at your enemies, etc.

3) Moderate processor requirements, compared to other recent games. This game is going to appeal to a much wider audience, in terms of computer power, than say, Doom 3 or Far Cry did.

4) Story, story, story. The story in HL2 will easily top any recent shooter, clearly standing out above Doom 3 and Far Cry, and certainly Halo 2.

-UnmarkedOne

I agree with everything he says. With the exception of Hl2s story being "Certainly" better than Halo 2s. From what Ive heard Bungie or whatever has spent a LOT of time on making a good story. Even the first Halo had and OK story. Just got boring after going through it.

Half-life 2, I think, will have about the same impact as HL1 did. There are so many new things that aren't in other games than some people just overlook. Just b/c the graphics are on par with some other recent games doens't mean it cant be a heck of a lot better.

Plus I have no doubt that HL2 will have a bigger mod community than any other game for some time. Source opens up a whole lot of possibilites, especially if its as Mod-friendly as they say, like HL1's was.

operative x said:
Why are you sorry? You're entitled to your opinion. It certainly doesnt negate mine.

jverne said:

any comments?!

I think that the best comparison what will happen with HL2 is Terminator 2. Yes, there was a first movie which was quite legendary, but the second one just blew your head off.

Edge said:
It was hard to understand the majority of what you said but what I did gather is the HL2 not living up to HL1. This is very likely. Quake 2 never lived up to Quake and the Doom series have all fallen short of the initial Doom impact. Quake 3 was huge but it was not really a sequel more of a new concept. Unreal II fell short of Unreal's fame. The only game I know that continues to have more of an impact per release is UT2k4 and I dislike that series hehe :)

But I always thought that Doom2 surpassed Doom (?).

I think the way they use physics will be revolutionairy. Other games have had nice physics, but they were never a part of the game like they are in halflife2.

jverne said:

any comments?!
I think HL2 will be a revolution. A revolution in story telling in FPS games and physics.

well i certenly hope that HL2 will top HL in evry way!
on second thought, why wouldn't it!? aliens (alien 2) was a much better movie than alien 1 (to me that is)!
i'm realy looking forward to see the AI of the game (remember the scene where gordon placed a desk at the door and the combine started shooting trough the window-gabe said it was not scripted)! if thats true theres gonna be lots of interesting firefights!
even HL1 had way better AI than its competitors, so why not?!
about steam, I LOVE IT! but lets hope that valve or any other won't misuse the sistem for..."world dominance" :LOL:
20 million of HL1 and HL2 players, that would be quite an army :p :p :p :p :| :|

haha yes, when you put on your headset to play cs:s valve secretly has a sound effect playing "Join us! Join us!" in the background slowly turning you into an UBER SOLDAT!

Back