Rip Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

Reaction score
My kids want HL2 on their PC, I tried installing it and steam caughs up, what a rip off.

Dear Steam user (account name: privateer48),

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration.

Steam has detected that your copy of Half-Life 2 Retail Standard has already been registered to another Steam user. Your product's CD-Key (the number printed on the CD case which you were asked to type in after installing the game) matches one already in our database.

Also I get this over at steam. so I cant complain there.

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

You can just log in to Steam on your own Steam account on your kids' PC, and then download HL2 on it. Problem is you can't play Steam games when they're playing HL2.

Why don't you let 'em play on your PC?

You can just log in to Steam on your own Steam account on your kids' PC, and then download HL2 on it. Problem is you can't play Steam games when they're playing HL2.

Why don't you let 'em play on your PC?
My kids don't live here and I removed it from mine.

Can it be installed without steam rearing its ugly head.

No. Your Half-Life 2 is permanently linked to your steam account and can't be accessed by any other. Think about it otherwise there would be no limit to how many free copies you could give out. The solution is to give your kids your steam account name and password to let them login to your account. i.e. They first install steam then login using your details. They will be able to download HL2 form their location (or you could use the CD/DVD installation to speed things up).

Please learn wtf you are doing before coming in here shouting "Rip Off".

No. Your Half-Life 2 is permanently linked to your steam account and can't be accessed by any other. Think about it otherwise there would be no limit to how many free copies you could give out. The solution is to give your kids your steam account name and password to let them login to your account. i.e. They first install steam then login using your details. They will be able to download HL2 form their location (or you could use the CD/DVD installation to speed things up).

Please learn wtf you are doing before coming in here shouting "Rip Off".

Other good games don't rip you off using steam, IMHO Steam is a rip off

Right, other games don't stop you off from pirating it. How is that good?

Firstly, if you don't have HL2 installed anymore, then why is it a problem to just give your kids YOUR Steam account & password? Problem solved easily that way.

Secondly, while Steam has it's MANY downsides (that could easily be solved if the guys at Steam had a clue), the ONE thing it DOES do properly is its copy protection side. Yet you are complaining about THAT. "How dare they stop me from handing out multiple copies of a game I bought". Good one.

And asking if you can play HL2 without Steam is asking how you can pirate the game illegally, something that doesn't go down well here. That's right - circumventing copy protection software is illegal. Part of Steam's job is copy protection.

Once again, if it is NOT installed on YOUR PC, then just give your kids your damn Steam account info, then they can install and play using THAT Steam account, (and you cannot), problem solved, and you can stop moaning that Steam is doing its job.

I can see where you are coming from when saying that Steam rips people off. What you aren't seeing is how it works.

Steam is merely just a way to ensure, like what Operational said, that the game won't be subject to key generators, thereby a loss of profit for the company.

With steam you no longer have to go digging for your cd cases and annoying things like that. Games can be backed up onto your hdd or to a cd or dvd and can be copied to another computer. The only thing you'll need to do is activate Off-line mode in steam and your kids can play away to their hearts content.

I support Steam and never felt as if I were being ripped off. Because you can only use one cd key when playing online anyways. This not only goes for Steam games but also for every game that has a multiplayer mode.

With steam you no longer have to go digging for your cd cases and annoying things like that. Games can be backed up onto your hdd or to a cd or dvd and can be copied to another computer. The only thing you'll need to do is activate Off-line mode in steam and your kids can play away to their hearts content.

No need for this. His kids can just log in into his Steam account with their PC and download HL2.

No need for this. His kids can just log in into his Steam account with their PC and download HL2.

Its open for those who don't have the high speed internet access. I know, you're like What? people still use 56K??. yes, people still do.

Firstly, if you don't have HL2 installed anymore, then why is it a problem to just give your kids YOUR Steam account & password? Problem solved easily that way.

Secondly, while Steam has it's MANY downsides (that could easily be solved if the guys at Steam had a clue), the ONE thing it DOES do properly is its copy protection side. Yet you are complaining about THAT. "How dare they stop me from handing out multiple copies of a game I bought". Good one.

And asking if you can play HL2 without Steam is asking how you can pirate the game illegally, something that doesn't go down well here. That's right - circumventing copy protection software is illegal. Part of Steam's job is copy protection.

Once again, if it is NOT installed on YOUR PC, then just give your kids your damn Steam account info, then they can install and play using THAT Steam account, (and you cannot), problem solved, and you can stop moaning that Steam is doing its job.

On my kids laptop they want HL2 on it, hows that a crime, they have a few of the other I bought.

Also it would be easy to give my kids my steam stuff but the user and passwords are personal, do you relate to that.

On my kids laptop they want HL2 on it, hows that a crime, they have a few of the other I bought.
You're just not getting it. Give them your Steam account details, get them to go online and activate the account on the laptop JUST like you had to do for your PC. THAT'S IT. If they have no internet access, too bad, the game CLEARLY states that you need it, and you KNOW it won't install without it because you already installed and played it. So what are you complaining about? You KNOW what is required to get the game running. That's like complaining because your graphics card is too weak to run a new game, even though the requirements are right there on the box.

We have told you how to get it running for them. But you really already knew that, because you went through it all yourself. If you choose to ignore the advice given, don't complain about Steam doing it's job.

If your passwords are personal, then CHANGE THEM THROUGH STEAM BEFORE YOU GIVE THE DETAILS TO THEM.

:LOL: Thats the spirit! Give up when something requires no work at all. You don't even have to leave your seat. Phew, its rela hard work changing your password eh?

:LOL: Thats the spirit! Give up when something requires no work at all. You don't even have to leave your seat. Phew, its rela hard work changing your password eh?

No when the kids come here I hardwire the laptop for them, at their house theres no internet, so this game would not work, thats easier.

And yes if you had what I had you'd take it easier as well.

Ps I didn't say I'm disabled because Id be accused of using the sympathy vote.

Offline mode...

Shasta said this.

You're just not getting it. Give them your Steam account details, get them to go online and activate the account on the laptop JUST like you had to do for your PC. THAT'S IT. If they have no internet access, too bad, the game CLEARLY states that you need it, and you KNOW it won't install without it because you already installed and played it. So what are you complaining about? You KNOW what is required to get the game running. That's like complaining because your graphics card is too weak to run a new game, even though the requirements are right there on the box.

So some cant afford INTERNET if a game demands it, I think thats a big rip off

Keane can I install the game here then set the laptop to offline mode, ill need to ask hows it done, THANKS.

Well, some games ask for 800$ graphics card, that feels like a rip off aswell tbh :p
Keane can I install the game here then set the laptop to offline mode, ill need to ask hows it done, THANKS.
You need to install Steam, log in to your account, download HL2, let it update if needed. Then, plug out the internet from the laptop and restart. Steam will notify you that it cannot connect to the internet, and will ask you if you want to start it in offline mode.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you tag the "Save account information" when you go online, as you cannot use Offline Mode without account information.

Other good games don't rip you off using steam, IMHO Steam is a rip off

This is such ****ing wonderfully intelligent argumentation. Please teach me your ways.

THEN DON'T BUY IT, CLOWNSHOES

That's like saying cars are a rip-off because you can't afford gas.

This is such ****ing wonderfully intelligent argumentation. Please teach me your ways.

THEN DON'T BUY IT, CLOWNSHOES

That's like saying cars are a rip-off because you can't afford gas.
Oi Yank you can see gas guzlers from a distance, %99.9 of games play ok without internet, people don't buy HL2 knowing this and the specs for HL2
doesnt say it, Im looking at mine now, in the small spec boxes the last one sais OTHER-internet connection, DVD-Rom drive, it doesn't shout at you like big cars do.
idiot.

Well, some games ask for 800$ graphics card, that feels like a rip off aswell tbh :p
You need to install Steam, log in to your account, download HL2, let it update if needed. Then, plug out the internet from the laptop and restart. Steam will notify you that it cannot connect to the internet, and will ask you if you want to start it in offline mode.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you tag the "Save account information" when you go online, as you cannot use Offline Mode without account information.

THANKS

I must applaud you for managing to argue with Shasta despite him being obviously on the right. I think I would fall over and die before I managed that. > >

It's true - Steam's just making sure you don't pirate Half-Life 2. Calling it a rip-off because it's protecting their intellectual property does not equate.

Good luck and did you find a new game to play after HL2?

Oi Yank you can see gas guzlers from a distance, %99.9 of games play ok without internet, people don't buy HL2 knowing this and the specs for HL2
doesnt say it, Im looking at mine now, in the small spec boxes the last one sais OTHER-internet connection, DVD-Rom drive, it doesn't shout at you like big cars do.
idiot.

So it does state internet connection? Oh...

EPIC FAIL

So it does state internet connection? Oh...

EPIC FAIL

it doesn't say this game needs on line to work, most will assume its for other uses.
Ooh hang on its for the bundled Counter Strike, it doesn't say HL2 needs a PERMANENT int connection, it can be set in offline mode but you need a degree in computer Knowledge to do this.

hl2covers.jpg

It sais Countersrike is the worlds no1 online game, most buyers will assume the Internet is for that.

I must applaud you for managing to argue with Shasta despite him being obviously on the right. I think I would fall over and die before I managed that. > >

It's true - Steam's just making sure you don't pirate Half-Life 2. Calling it a rip-off because it's protecting their intellectual property does not equate.

Good luck and did you find a new game to play after HL2?

Im trying to play Splintercell DA, but the timer used for hacking doors uses movement keys and the use key, I'm not fast enough because of my disability, so I'm stuck at that point.

How is steam a rip off?
Steam itself is free, you cannot buy a 'steam'. Steam is a program, like a virtual store, where every now and then you get free games.

OMG STEAM IS SUCH A RIP OFF UPDATING YOUR GAMES FOR YOU AND OFFERING FREE TRIAL WEEKENDS GOD DAMNIT!

Please learn to use the internets/Steam

idiot.
But, once again, YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT, because you have already installed, played, and completed HL2. So why are YOU suddenly crying about it as if it was the world biggest surprise?

But, once again, YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT, because you have already installed, played, and completed HL2. So why are YOU suddenly crying about it as if it was the world biggest surprise?

It is always possible he simply forgot about it.

If you're not techno-literate you don't always remember everything about these newfangled programs.

It is always possible he simply forgot about it.

If you're not techno-literate you don't always remember everything about these newfangled programs.

If you had my condition forgetting things is normal, I understand Piracy and the need to protect games, but I was surprised a genuine game didn't load, Im no expert like some on here..

:LOL:

Yeah, switching to offline mode is so tough :rolleyes:

it is for me, I have no idea how to do it and Ive already forgotten who said what to do, I'll have to read every thread again, at least it will be interesting.

it is for me, I have no idea how to do it and Ive already forgotten who said what to do, I'll have to read every thread again, at least it will be interesting.

When you try to open steam without an internet connection, it will give you a box to click that says "start steam in offline mode". Click the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back