rotating door with (model) handles

M

matt-daly

i have a door. it rotates. on the door i have the door handle models (from in cs_office). i know it's possible. but how do i make the handles move with the door?

i know you can do it with glass and make it breakable (an entity tied to another). but it won't work with the door handle models. does it only work with brushes?

1) Name the door.
2) Make the handle a prop_dynamic.
3) Select the "Parent" key value and find the door's name in the pull-down menu.

That should be all you have to do...

ah k. ta. i did that but i had it as a prop_static and it had just disappeared ingame. ta

How did u get the props from office? I cant find anything from office, no textures no props, and I need those.

Do you have any tips where they are ?

my hammer occasionally loads some textures and other times it doesnt. i searched through the ones it was showing and most of the office ones begin with "off" so type that in the texture search thing

the props. create an entity. make it a prop_static, physics, dynamic etc. then goto the properties. there's an entrycalled "World Model". select it. then click browse on its value and it'll bring up a load of folders. most of the office ones, computers, chairs, bin etc are in /prop/cs_office/

only bummer is you can't actually see the models so you eitehr have to select them and keep changing, memorise the names, or use model viewer to look at them all. but even then you have to do it seperately

matt-daly said:
only bummer is you can't actually see the models so you eitehr have to select them and keep changing, memorise the names, or use model viewer to look at them all. but even then you have to do it seperately
It would be nice if the files had some sort of preview function, like a bitmap contained within the file that would show up when browsing in World Model.

no one seems to know how to make the handle to actually turn though, like it does in HL2.

uhh, theres nothing laggy about it. its not even a physics object. think before you speak, newb.

yes but its an animation. which causes an increase in fps. which isnt needed.

and its pricks like u that send new people away. "newb"

yet you make a thread on how to get prop_physics to work, which take much more cycles to run. talk about hypocrisy, and yes if it will send you away so you can educate yourself, then its worth it. (btw you mean a decrease smart guy)

Poseyjmac is clearly being an ass here. Don't blame him though, he can't help it. Being civil makes his head hurt.

-Klyick

its not going to cause lag, source engine has alot more tolerance for "extras" and handles it much differently from the way hl did. In case you hadnt noticed, the detail in hl2 far exceeds anything in hl maps. Ive been making docks, and have detailed areas to the max and I still get over 100 fps. I seriously doubt having a moving handle on a door is going to make your fps drop significantly, if it does you have something wrong in your map. The only thing I have noticed that causes lag is the point_spotlight entity, and if you stand on a func_physbox, which can be fixed but putting a 1 unit thick clip brush over it.

Who cares about frigging lag if youre building a singleplayer map :thumbs:

klyick said:
Poseyjmac is clearly being an ass here. Don't blame him though, he can't help it. Being civil makes his head hurt.

-Klyick

ah, dont you feel stupid now?

I could actually do with this info, which is nice.

I'm making an office based map (Who isn't?) in hammer for my first map, and it's turning out well, but it could use glass doors and stuff like that.

So thanks.

I figured out how to get moving door handles :D! Make a prop_door_rotating and give it the models/props_c17/door01_left.mdl model. Set the hardware type in the prop_door_rotating to lever for a moving handle, or pushbar (not sure if the bar moves or not). This door model also has 13 skins. I only tested this in HL2.

Back