Rumour - Portable Gamecube (with evidence)

Reginald

Reaction score
I've just been back through some threads from the last two weeks and couldn't find any posts mentioning this (I've been on holiday, see) so I decided to post it, even though it's 13 days after the initial "incident."

Anyway, people who are paid to write about games can probably provide a clearer picture than I can:

Cubed3 on 09/08/06 said:
Gaming site IGN have apparently made a rather big error and published information that should have been kept a secret. Last night, the Murdoch owned media giant ran a story on its Wii channel detailing several pieces of juicy information. Whilst it was strictly outlined as rumour, IGN soon pulled the story, only to repost it a few hours later with some rather drastic changes. However, the Internet being the beast that it is, someone over at NeoGAF took a snap of the article before it was changed, highlighting some exciting possibilities.

According to IGN's sources, the console will launch on either November 2nd or November 12th for a price of $229 (£119 or €177 at current rates). It will be available in black and white at launch. Previously we reported a 'launch window' of November 8th which was widely slated as being false, but these new dates and continued information suggesting an early November release seem to confirm that this is indeed when Nintendo intend to launch the system. The company have already gone on the record to state they will announce full Wii launch plans in September, so we don’t have long to wait for official confirmation. But what about the bits IGN took out?

One whole paragraph was removed from the article, it stated the following:

IGN said:
Insiders claim to have seen final hardware. The Broadway CPU is allegedly in the 750 CL line, a continuation of the 750 GX series. IBM may be working on a revised Broadway chip with a lower clock speed for a future Nintendo handheld -- one that presumably plays GameCube discs.

So basically, confirmation of a portable GameCube it would seem. The report has to have a fair bit of truth in it or IGN wouldn’t have pulled it, clearly the source was worried that the information in that paragraph would unveil their identity and asked for it to be removed. Whatever the case, it provides material for some rampant Internet-style speculation.

Here is the picture of said article, before and after, for all who wish to see proof. (Link)

And a link to the article. (Link)

If this is indeed true, which would be a pleasant if unexpected surprise, Nintendo are going to need to think seriously carefully about when they announce and release it. Next year's E3 could be a good time to announce, with an Autumn release. That gives the Wii and the DSLite nearly a year to establish themselves as the companies headline consoles. But the problem comes when you consider that very few shops will stock Gamecube games anymore come that time (not that many in the UK still do anyway.) I suppose it could always be backwards compatible with the Gamecube by using the same format, but also allowing companies to continue making Gamecube games, so that development kits needn't be wasted. Still, despite heavy doubts on my part, Nintendo seem to be incapable of doing wrong recently, so if this is indeed true, I will back Nintendo every step of the way.

So, you heard what the article said, speculate away!

Ooooh, intresting. Nice find.

I wonder what the dimensions of it will be. Using Discs and all.

Interesting!

And, uh

E3 is dead...

Yeah. I just saw that. I've been on holiday a lot this summer. I've missed so much news. :(

EDIT: Hopefully it'll mean companies become a lot more open with new ideas. When all companies have open hands, things seem to go right.

ZOMG GAMECUBE ADVANCE!!!

gamecubeadvance2vl4.jpg

gamecubeadvancept4.jpg

circa sometime in 2003 :p

I don't know what would be worse... trying to use tiny, squashed Gamecube controls like those pictured above, or playing RE4 on a screen this size. :x

Still, I'm sure Nintendo would know how to make it work.
Although it does seem unlikely that today's "intuitive-interface" Nintendo would release a handheld with four face buttons, two analogue sticks, two analoge triggers, a d-pad and a z-button. Which is what you'd need to play GC games on the thing.

Well there's rumors for everything...

I don't think a portable Xbox would come to market until late next year IMHO... They would rather get people buying the Xbox360, and then once it's place is secured in the market against PS3 and Wii, then they may release the handheld (if it's true, which I believe it is)

Good luck trying to find a good screen size though for some of the games for GC and Xbox if they are making portables...

A portable GC would be killer. I would buy it in a sec...but only if the screen were a little bigger...:E

I heard that theres going to be an X-box portable. Has anyone else heard this ?

This was a pretty big rumor a while ago, but I think it was caused by misunderstanding of Microsoft announcing Windows XP for Pocket PC or something. I'm pretty sure that it was conclusively busted.

Thise rumor is more interesting however. It seems unlikely that it would be decked out with all the Gamecube controls and be able to play GC games, it would just be too small.

Back