Running HL2 with max details at 70fps...

And now my big question: What the hell is an ATi Radeon 9800?

Is it better than GeForce 3?

Originally posted by NiteStalker
And now my big question: What the hell is an ATi Radeon 9800?

Is it better than GeForce 3?

A Graphics Card ;)

Yes

Actually, despite the little 'quarrel' between Nvidia and Futuremark, the Geforce FX 5900 seems to be *slightly* faster (not saying better or better value, just faster). Though it'll set you back a good $500 for a 256MB one, and $400 for a 128MB one. I'd say either go for the Radeon 9800 now, or wait a bit for the 5900 to go down in price. Nvidia makes great drivers, that's the one thing that makes me hesitate to buy the 9800 right now.

-Vert

A 2.2GHz P4 w/ a GF3 will not run HL2 even close to full detail. There are games now that system couldn't run in full detail. Expect decent visuals from it. To get the total package you will need a 9800 or 5900, or whatever card comes out between now and ship. No way around it. No more "Will HL2 run on my 386 w/ 4MB on-board video?"

My mx 440 sure as hell wont own it.....i stopped giving it an allowance cos it wouldnt stop being stupid and run games properly ;)

hehee. the e3 demo was running on a 2.4 ghz with 512 mb ram and a 9800...so happens thats exactly my system...cept I've only got a Ge4 Ti4200 :(. Time to upgrade AGAIN it seems. Damn i need a job (only 15) other than delivering the damn newspaper to old people :x .

Originally posted by SiNizTer
I've only got a Ge4 Ti4200 :(. Time to upgrade AGAIN it seems.

I am quite confident that gf4 4200 will run hl2 good if you wont go for ultimate resolution / all details hi.

I don't think you'll have a problem running the game...

maybe not at full detail but...I'm sure you can play it with good fps and good graphics aswell....

mmmm I hope that I get my Radeon9700pro tomorrow...did make "good" use of my "gforce2 mx400"...I'll have a long heartfelt goodbye with that sucker
whine.gif

duh.gif

PriNcE oF SpAcE, what kind of 9700pro you getting? Sapphire, Hercules, Ati?

so I've heard :) that's why I ordered it... for moment though I was having my eyes on "crapthadontworkforalotofcash" but it was just getting too bothersome to pronounce the name when I wanted to show off...

Yea, that's a good overclocker. You can get a stable 350 MHz for the core and 700 (2x 350) MHz for the memory. I'm thinking of dropping my plans in getting a 5900 and just get a Sapphire 9700pro. How much you getting it for?

I am getting a Sapphire atlantis RADEON 9800 pro 256mb

I am also thinking on getting it watercooled. and try some overcloaking.

Originally posted by EVIL
I am getting a Sapphire atlantis RADEON 9800 pro 256mb

I am also thinking on getting it watercooled. and try some overcloaking.
:eek:

That's BANK. You should get it to run at 472/370 Mhz with stock cooling.

The 9700pro Atlantis has fat heatsink. I'm gonna overclocking it right out the box and won't even break it in.
14-102-266-02.JPG

Im going to gamble that upgrading to a 3 gig processor will fill the gap between my g44600 and the ATI.

I dont feel theres a big enough gap between that card and the latset one to warrent an upgrade of graphics card.

Originally posted by Reiska
I am quite confident that gf4 4200 will run hl2 good if you wont go for ultimate resolution / all details hi.

There's the problem...I want to play it highest detail hehe...expensive tastes, I have. O well...I've already completely overhauled my computer once this year (from 850 mhz athlon to 2.4 p4) so I guess it means just a worse post secondary education ;).

If valve says that the game will run in a shity computer that suports Direct X 6....what the **** is that?? a computer with a vodoo 2?? expect a good frame rate in a computer with a geforce ti 4600. Anyway, not all graphic cards treat the bump-mapping easily. When Half-life 2 comes out i will upgrade my computer with the best graphic card of the moment...Doom 3 will go out sure a bit later but i will support it well also. These are games, not the shit that is now in stores.

I`ve got:
P4 1.6ghz
hercules RADEON FDX 8500LE 64mb
768mb DDRRAM(or sumthin) PC2700
200gb 7200rpm

do u think that I will run on high? I better upgade CPU and graphics right?....

Back