S.T.A.L.K.E.R Latest News

Gorgon

Reaction score
GameSpot has posted up its latest developer's diary of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. This time Anton Bolshakov explains that the X-Ray Engine offers the most advance DirectX 9 effects which will be first seen in other games next year. Here is a summary of the most important DX 9 effects:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is capable of more than 2 million fully bump-mapped polygons per frame as well as true per-pixel complex light-material interaction.

By targeting the latest hardware we have been able to base the engine fully on HDR (High Dynamic Range) lighting to increase the quality by addressing unnatural over- or under-exposed visuals found in traditional renderers.

Natural render of complex materials with proper light interaction, such as rusted metal, natural flora, glass, skin, and so on. In addition, every pixel (not texel) can have its own material with several coefficients.

The custom-built dedicated renderer is capable of real-time dynamic lighting, soft (physically correct) shadows cast from every object onto every other object, true per-pixel lighting, physical umbra/penumbra computations, and hundreds of lights per frame--all in real-time.

Frame buffer postprocessing and Photoshop-like effects.

Anton also talked about two multiplayer modes: "Capture the artefact" and "Deathmatch". In latter you will have to make use of all objects and the physics system. GSC has been closely working with their sponsored CS clan [GSC]ProTeam to create the most interesting maps for this specific multiplayer mode. It should be both challenging for professional players and newbies and allow tactical gaming.
As for the "Capture the artefact"-mode, the more careful and strategic players will be rewarded. Due to anomalies and enemies you will have to plan your equipment and actions in advance.
All this is to be tested by the fans in the upcoming beta-testing. Four screenshots have been added to the diary as usual.
[http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/preview_6099542.html
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/screenindex.html

Just shortly before the end of this month GSC Game World has sent over the calendar for June 2004. It shows a sunset through a window of a house. Though the picture is rather kept simple, the picture looks very atmospheric and somehow has a philosophical touch to it. You can find the English and original Russian version at our website as usual. Enjoy the decoration of your desktop!
http://stalker.gamesfire.de/community/screenshots/calendar_june.jpg
http://stalker.gamesfire.de/community/russian calendars/calendar_june(rus).jpg

Finaly, A new short preview can be found at PC Arena.
http://www.pcarena.com/previews/stalker/

Have Fun :) Source:www.oblivion-lost.com :)

Wow I truly cant wait to play this game :D . The mp is starting to entice me as well :cheers:

I visit the oblivion-lost site every day. new info all the time.

This game is going to be amazing. I really can't wait for the beta.
/me starts to make 20 email accounts ;)

I hope that it will be good. It's kinda fallout but in fps and if they can make interesting missions than just 50- go there, take item, kill soldier, go back home before your bedtime comes- missions. But we will see.. we will see.

I dunno, but i'm begging to think the gameplay is going to pass HL2, with the world being dynamic and have other stalkers etc...but the source engine is still on top IMO.

Well, I cant really say that since I havent played either :p

simmo said:
I dunno, but i'm begging to think the gameplay is going to pass HL2, with the world being dynamic and have other stalkers etc...but the source engine is still on top IMO.

Well, I cant really say that since I havent played either :p

Stalker has rpg elements... HL2 is more of a puzzler... mystery... type well it has its own genre... Stalker is a totally different type of game imo both just have the FPS thing going for them

it's like comparing Deus Ex and the orginal Unreal

I was very hyped up and enthusiastic about this game, but the latest video's have put me a bit off from this game... it's just missing something. None of the video's impressed me with gameplay, just with graphics. From what I've seen of the combat, it's nothing less than lame to be perfectly honest. It has no feel to it, despite the very pretty and atmospheric graphics. The gameplay, or rather the feel of it, reminds me of their other game, Codename: Outbreak, which was a pretty horrible game.

I do hope it will still turn out to be an awesome game, but I'm not totally sure anymore.

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
Stalker has rpg elements... HL2 is more of a puzzler... mystery... type well it has its own genre... Stalker is a totally different type of game imo both just have the FPS thing going for them

it's like comparing Deus Ex and the orginal Unreal

yeah I guess your right :)

im guessing this...

stalker > graphics
hl2 > gameplay
doom3 > scare factor

stalker, hl2, doom3 > good story

can someone please give me an explanation on what this game is about and what you do?

DarkStar said:
Have you ever heard of www.google.com?

geez no i havent your so nice thank you for giving me the google link!

/sarcasm

anyone wanna give me a info about this game? (besides DarkStars useless piece of information about google)

x84D80Yx said:
im guessing this...

stalker > graphics
hl2 > gameplay
doom3 > scare factor

stalker, hl2, doom3 > good story
More like:
STALKER > graphics + some scare factor + phsyics
HL2 > gameplay + phsyics
DOOM 3 > graphics + massive scare factor

kidrock450 said:
geez no i havent your so nice thank you for giving me the google link!

/sarcasm

anyone wanna give me a info about this game? (besides DarkStars useless piece of information about google)

See, when you type Stalker into google you get information on the game! Weeeeee! It's by far the easiest way to get info on the game. I guess you expect people to type up long explanations though.

It's gonna be a pretty tech demo with rubbish fighting!

Mark my words \o/

(hope i'm wrong tho)

Warbie said:
It's gonna be a pretty tech demo with rubbish fighting!

Mark my words \o/

(hope i'm wrong tho)

That's precisely what I fear, I hope I'm terribly wrong too though...

kidrock450 said:

Yes, but had you typed "Stalker" into google that very site would have come up. Easy as that.

I don't say this often, and I usually detest people that say this -- but I'm going to have to go ahead and call you a very large "n3wB."

with a name like that, what else do you expect him to be?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. does look awesome, I've got high hopes to be playing it before most.

If typing in "stalker" returned the correct site on page 5 or if you had to type out all of "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl" I wouldn't be bothered, but in this case Google's first response to "stalker" is correct. Stop right where you are. Bookmark Google. Set it as your home page. Put it on your toolbar (it's built into Opera or you can download it for IE).

Go there before you ask people where to find something. Try multiple search phrases. If that produces no results then feel free to ask questions.

I hate helpless people.

DarkStar said:
Yes, but had you typed "Stalker" into google that very site would have come up. Easy as that.

I don't say this often, and I usually detest people that say this -- but I'm going to have to go ahead and call you a very large "n3wB."

lol oh ouch you hurt my feelings with your nerd words. do you have a g/f? have you EVER had one? no so I guess I get the last laugh in the end eh?

OCybrManO said:
If typing in "stalker" returned the correct site on page 5 or if you had to type out all of "S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl" I wouldn't be bothered, but in this case Google's first response to "stalker" is correct. Stop right where you are. Bookmark Google. Set it as your home page. Put it on your toolbar (it's built into Opera or you can download it for IE).

Go there before you ask people where to find something. Try multiple search phrases. If that produces no results then feel free to ask questions.

I hate helpless people.

My thoughts exactly.

I starting to love this game

since the graphics to the story

The graphics and the physics in this game will be awesome but im a little bit skeptical of the gameplay. I dunno, its just that it seems SO open its just that i don't want to be wandering around endlessly trying to find a mission or an artifact without being bored.

To me the game that most resembles STALKER (gameplay wise) is GTA:VC. What worries me is that VC had memorable charaters, dialogue and settings as well as fun missions, cars, secrets and minigames. STALKER looks a little plain in comparison.

Valve should have released HL2 by 2003, now all of their technology looks old compared to games who instantly started making competitive engines. Still, I think stalker is only for badass computers or something and will have very low sales...the game wants way too much in terms of hardware - one thing valve is doing good is that they are making the game highly optimized for low/ and high end systems.

I watched the stalker video, I think they were running it on a x800...did you see the Frame rates skip?

lans said:
I watched the stalker video, I think they were running it on a x800...did you see the Frame rates skip?

Yeah, like I said, I shudder to think how that game is going to run on my system.

this game is lookin good :cheese:
im glad its not being released soon since i wouldn't be able to get it if it were the case.

and yes.. having some idea on system req's would be nice...

STALKER will supposedly run on a TNT2, so they say.

Yea they also said it would look like HL1... yea that would be worth it!

And what with people not giving any mention to HL's graphics? Thereeeee GREAT!!!!!!

who's the developer of stalker anyway?

LMFAO, 2 million polys on a TNT2, that's just a lie.

I've been watching this game for awhile now...I'm almost as excited to get my hands on stalker as I am hl2. But we'll have awhile to wait...it was supposed to come out in september but now it looks like it might not be released this year, maybe early next year, too long to wait

Back