Scout Update Live

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Valve have just released the Scout update, adding the 3 new Scout unlockables, 35 new achievements, 3 new community maps and a host of bugfixes and other small changes. You can also view the results of Valve's community poll on the order which the unlockables will be available here.
[br]A full list of changes and additions can be found on the Steam news release, some of the most interesting changes can be seen below:
  • Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon
  • Added new sounds for upgraded teleporters
  • Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs
  • Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies
  • Added "First Blood" to Arena mode
Also, if you don't already own Team Fortress 2, it's now available at a 50% discount, the lowest price it has even been! Visit the Steam Store.

Summary of the Scout update:

1. Bonk energy drink is completely useless. You can't shoot while using it, you can't block captures and it switches you to third person view. It's probably not good for capping the intel either because of the slowdown after the effect ends. Total garbage, not worth replacing the pistol.
2. Sandman might have some potential when the Scout craze ends and we'll get the hang of hitting people with the ball. However the lack of double jump makes playing with it really difficult. Still I can see this being really useful, especially in arena.
3. Force-A-Nature is kinda disappointing, it does 20% less damage and the pushing effect is too situational.

Add to that the fact that we didn't get any Meet the Team video and you got the worst update yet.

LAST UPDATE WAS BREATHTAKING!!!!!

PREPARE YOURSELVES!!!!!!!

Release day

Add that to the fact that the 6th reveal was a "Hey, it's released! Here's the order (which you already knew about)", and you get..... disappointed.

Add to that, epic lag on downloading the update, every server lagging even at low ping, then eventually timing out. Then 3 "memory could not be written" crashes and its a good night for me. By the way, how do people already have all 3 unlocks. I've seen them in the game already. Must be an exploit or something.

Achievement unlocker.exe

Look it up. You don't get banned. It's worked with every single release.

energy drink is amazing for those who know how to use it

the new bat is situational

new scattergun lifts basically every scout off the ground if you hit them with it

so basically this update is 100% utility for the scout class, team-orientated

Oh dear god, that's hilarious.

The SPUF guys were right, it is the spy update-
Valve said:
  • Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon
  • Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs
  • Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies
Just not one the one they were expecting. :p

So spychecking is no longer just on those with primary weapons, but then there's no more face stabs. It's a good trade.

I guess it's a bit sad that the two best thing about this update is unrelated with the scout update...basically these two:

!)Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon

I've already suggested this before....I think they could have gone with a less cumbersome system though simply by matching the weapon viewed with the spy weapon weilded. e.g. you hold the knife and you'll be seen holding the mellee weapon of whatever class your playing...weild the gun and you'll be seen wielding the primary of whatever class you're disguised at. makes it simpler.

2) Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies

this has been SO needed nothing more annoying than having your cover blown not because your a bad spy but simply because someone gets a free-card to spot you....now you have a chance to know which player you should avoid...and also a better change at guessing when your cover has been blown due to this. lovely!

*edit* damn I misread that last one...I thought you got told the name of the player that you were disguised at....we need this so badly! Valve fix it please!

Arrgh...the updating is bugged for me.

First it tells me the update is finished. When I launch the game from Steam it opens the updating window and tells me I have 2 seconds left for over an hour. I then restart Steam and try again and the time keeps shifting. I retry and the download never even starts.

Not played yet but the achievements sound really hard and the servers will now all be full of scouts.

TF2 is $9.99 on Steam now! If you haven't gotten this yet you should be ashamed of yourself

The Fall Classic achievement doesn't unlock, reported to Valve.
But the new shotty isn't that great tbh, only thing I've unlocked so far but I don't see myself using it often.

The Fall Classic achievement doesn't unlock, reported to Valve.
But the new shotty isn't that great tbh, only thing I've unlocked so far but I don't see myself using it often.

Did you shoot yourself off a ledge or somebody else?

I like the update because I like Egypt and junction. Plus I'm working on my "kill 50 scouts with needle gun" achievement.

i'm gonna try my foot up your ass, if it don't work, i'll have to try harder!

I'm guessing the Bonk is useful for distracting sentries, or do they just select another player

i ll try it when i get back from work. Dam it,

big applause to Valve. :thumbs:

Yeh, Payload race was what I was most looking forwad too >.>, and egypt, well wasnt half as entertaining as I thought it would be...

bonk doesnt really even speed you up, just bullet invisibleness.

I'm hoping that when Valve releases the updates to the 360, they only release the first three updates. That way, the next three they release will be the scout, spy, and sniper updates (hopefully). When this happens, I, being a pyro, will have the best month of my life.

I don't see why people are hating on Bonk! so much. I've not seen what it can do yet, but from what I'm hearing, you can use it to distract the sentry while another team member blows it to piss. If that's not a great idea, I don't know what is....

Mind games

LOL, yesterday someone here said that it would suck, if the last post was just: "Release day, you can play now!" and when I was reading it, I was like: Yea, that would really suck, but this is Valve damn it! They are gonna blow our heads off tomorrow!
And today, I got my RELEASE DAY post.
-_-
Well, Im confused and kinda dissapointed. You know, its weird, its just not-like Valve. As if they came with a huge cake and ate the cherry right in front of me o_O

But Im still hoping they have something really huge comming soon. I mean, Valve never does anything for nothing. Why would they tease us like this with the new gamemode picture? Why wouldnt they kick the update out yesterday without that purposeless last post?
Damn you Valve, you made me think Im in the middle of some conspiracy!! Goddamn mind games...
Im gonna try to get my FAN now.

Overall I think it isn't a bad update. It was never going to be as big as the Heavy update, and it is a shame we don't get to play that new Payload map but looking back at the screenshot, it does look rather empty. I personally really enjoy the new unlocks. The FAN is great and I love the way you can swing yourself round while in air and do a kinda "rocket jump" double jump, plus it makes for some manic fights. The Sandman I feel is damn good and I like the way they have done the ammo for it. Not the most practical of weapons, I think it falls into the same category as the Pryo's Flare gun. Finally Bonk! energy drink may need a little bit of work. It's great fun running past sentries and laughing as they can't hit you but I'm not a fan of the 3rd person aspect, and I also feel that the Scout should run just a little bit faster when on it. The new maps are cool, nothing that breaks the mould but never the less are all a good laugh so really I'm happy with the update and look forward to the next!

Lack of new payload map/new gamemode and Meet the Team video really lets this update down. Scout hype is mad at the moment. Bonk! Atomic Punch is completely useless, the other 2 weapons are ok.

I still have a strange bug they have not fixed yet.

When you go to the scout update page, the update number six instead of showing the new "meet the.... video" just shows "release day!". I clicked on the links but still no trace of the new "meet the .... video".

anyway I am still excited for the future of tf2. Sure this update has no new official levels, but valve has already hinted at various new different stuff. First of all they are surely going to do one full level with the alpine setting. Second, in the meet the sniper video they hinted at the possibility of a hunted game mode, and they also showed a new level (I seriously doubt they designed that area only for the video, so maybe it will appear in some new map eventually)

And now they hinted at a double payload mode.

So, sure, this update is basically only new items for the scout, but they are still going to work on this game and we are still going to have new stuff to discover

I'm finding it hard to do backstabs with the Spy now. It seems you need to get it perfect now.

I like the ability to pick the weapon for the Spy Disguise, takes a little getting used to.

Back