screenshot discussion

Very *very* old models, is what they are (Combine)

Kirkburn said:
Very *very* old models, is what they are (Combine)

so they have muman like faces? odd... and they can withstand the atmosphere of earth... and how can those be combine why would they run from theyre own strider?

one tidbit I find interesting is how the g-man took so much interest in adrian shephard who never took off his mask during op4... and now the combines all have masks

I think those are the (old version) models of who fights on your side because in the Strider movie released by Valve, you see people like that running away from the Strider.

breadbomb said:
I think those are the (old version) models of who fights on your side because in the Strider movie released by Valve, you see people like that running away from the Strider.

that's more likely but it's odd how they all look exactly the same
edit: notice how they all have theyre left arms extended.. lol. I also believe it's important that much can still be learned from old ss because Marc Laidlaw has had the story written forever so it can't have changed TOO much

Naveed said:
no idea, but screenshot is really crappy indeed!

not really crappy, just dated

I'm pretty certain they are old combine models ... who says they didn't change the idea behind the combine later? Plus the idea behind the combine models is that they all look the same which would explain the similarities.
I'm not sure tho - this has been looked at before, but my main point is that it is very old.

Kirkburn said:
I'm pretty certain they are old combine models ... who says they didn't change the idea behind the combine later? Plus the idea behind the combine models is that they all look the same which would explain the similarities.
I'm not sure tho - this has been looked at before, but my main point is that it is very old.

well maybe this SS could help us realize somthing about the combine.. err if it is combine... because we see the faces :eek:
edit: wow it seems what I thought was facial hair was a gas mask that covers just the mouth... so I guess they are probably combine after all... wiiierrd

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
so they have muman like faces? odd... and they can withstand the atmosphere of earth... and how can those be combine why would they run from theyre own strider?

it is possible that a resistance member hijacked the strider, and is now driving it, instead of the normal combine crew...

Reaperman said:
it is possible that a resistance member hijacked the strider, and is now driving it, instead of the normal combine crew...

soo erm.. somebody pilots a Strider from the inside? that's new to me
:eek: or is it remotely or somthing... I was under the impression that they were enslaved creatures or somthing... like the alien slaves (i never really knew who those poor guys were slaves to in hl1)

edit: they also wear red arm bands.. I should also note in the various ss the combine seem to take MANY forms... heavily armored... glowing eyes...light...police type guys... lots of types

Ok, this is getting into dangerous, almost leak territory! Don't start giving away stuff please everyone :)

Kirkburn said:
Ok, this is getting into dangerous, almost leak territory! Don't start giving away stuff please everyone :)

whoa yeah if people here know stuff we dont because of the leak please dont say anything.. really because so far nothing leak related has been spoiled for me except a few shots that revealed nothing I stumbled upon

I think those are just some City-17 workers

mooma said:
I think those are just some City-17 workers

that all look the same? sport a combine like arm band, and wear gas masks... strange indeed

btw I love your avatar ;) :LOL: :LOL:

all the "workers" eyes are whited out and they are scawny as if they are rotting or somthing.. maybe it's enslaved city people or somthing :borg:

Im guessing their old models of resistance fighters.

One thing i did notice wos the spikes on the bottom of the striders legs (his ankels if u will :) ) .....is this me just being stupid and not noticing this b4 or is it something the removed duriing development.

Bah , wont attach image, anyway wot r them things

KurtCobain said:

One thing i did notice wos the spikes on the bottom of the striders legs (his ankels if u will :) ) .....is this me just being stupid and not noticing this b4 or is it something the removed duriing development.

those are still present I believe... I know in e3 2003 a guy got impaled on a leg :D

oooh wait the feelers... idk if they are still there.. I dont see why valve would remove somthing like that :frog:

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
soo erm.. somebody pilots a Strider from the inside? that's new to me
:eek: or is it remotely or somthing... I was under the impression that they were enslaved creatures or somthing... like the alien slaves (i never really knew who those poor guys were slaves to in hl1)

no, they are basicly walking tanks, 100% metal, 0% biomechanics :-[ with a crew of 2

KurtCobain said:

They are still there. You can see them during the strider videos from E3 2004.

EDIT: Not sure what they are, possibly sensory devices to detect motion or contact with solid objects... Or maybe they are for offense: sharp edges and points to rend and cut flesh easily. Maybe it serves no real purpose in the game except to look cool... who knows!

Those arent combine.

but why do you think the combine cand stand the earths preassure?

they are not aliens, they are humans.

Same body's
Same weapons
Speak english
Wear gasmasks
Barney can be seen wearing a combine suit at 1 point in last years binks
they use english as their written word

Im not saying they are 100% human but they most certainly were human at one point.

Dougy said:
Those arent combine.

but why do you think the combine cand stand the earths preassure?

they are not aliens, they are humans.

Same body's
Same weapons
Speak english
Wear gasmasks
Barney can be seen wearing a combine suit at 1 point in last years binks
they use english as their written word

Im not saying they are 100% human but they most certainly were human at one point.

what is this getting at.. im so curious WTF are they!!!?
as for striders.. WOW I had no idea... thats incredible... im starting to believe that combine are some sort of enslaved human or zombie or revitalized biomechanical harvested human or wierd somthin or another :rolling: :rolling: or clones or somthing?? I sincerily doubt they are your run of the mill born free human.. there is almost no question in my mind that they are somthing different from typical humans.. I wonder if they have free will..

Brian Damage said:
That strider thing is either bullshit or a beta spoiler...

Beta spoiler I think... why elese would he say somthing like that..with tags.. seems plausable... of course the net has been known to contain bullsh!t

Can't see how it could fit people in it

Brian Damage said:
And it has muscles, sensory hairs, and an organic-looking carapace.

Muscles? Where was this stated? I don't see any muscles... and besides, generally organisms with muscles contain them on the inside for protection, so I don't know where you got that from.

Sensory hairs... Again... they are pretty big hairs, but there is nothing to say they are necessarily organic in nature.

Organic-looking - That means absolutely nothing at all. Organic shapes and creature designs are often much more efficient than the angular shapes used by human-society today. U.S. research teams are attempting, at this moment, to create miniature machines (planes, helicopters, robots, etc) that are based on real-word animals -- dragonflys, hummingbirds, and so on. These animals are tiny and fly easily on little energy, and are very good at it. For that reason, an aircraft in the shape of a manatee (Combine Gunship) may be able to hover and fly better (as in more accurately and with less energy) than more conventional shapes.

However, I am just as likely to be as wrong as anyone else (perhaps with the exception of people familiar with the hacked-alpha). It is also very possible that they are a combination of organic material and technology; utilizing the best of both worlds (efficiency in design and energy usage for organic matter, and offensive and defensive power of technology). We will all, hopefully, find out in a few months.

EDIT: If there are muscles on the outside (perhaps between the leg joints) then this may very well be a critical weakness to the Striders (which appear to be nearly invulnerable, like the Gargantuan was).

Pardon? It's not just the shapes. Look at the colours on the carapace. They vary in an extremely organic fashion, as thought the surface were bumpy. If that's a paint job, it's a real crappy one.

And as for the muscles, I'm talking about the musculature on the hip joints and the abdomen, which is even more visible in the concept art, if you can find it.

I'm going to stick to my theory; that the Striders are organisms with biologically grown mechanoid parts.

i dont think you'll find any of those in the final version

Brian Damage said:
Pardon? it's not just the shapes. Look at the colours on the carapace. They vary in an extremely organic fashion, as thought the surface were bumpy. If that's a paint job, it's a real crappy one.

And as for the muscles, I'm talking about the musculature on the hip joints and the abdomen, which is even more visible in the concept art, if you can find it.

I'm going to stick to my theory; that the Striders are organisms with biologically grown mechanoid parts.

The striders move to fast to get a clear look at their joints, which are very peculiar, so I cannot really disagree with you on that point. The colors being varied... well that may be camouflage or just weird lighting. The main reason I disagree with you is that there are more obvious examples of technology in play then there are organic. All of those organic-ish features could be simulated/faked with advanced technology...

However, most of the enemies in Half-life were organic, and we do know that the grunts were grown (with armor already there), so it would not be a stretch for Valve to do that again. Perhaps whatever force controls the Combine (Administrator, or an alien species) conquered Xen (taking control from the US/G-Man led forces) and adapted that growth technique to their own technology...or merely just improved upon it.

EDIT: Either way, it will be a great deal of fun trying to take one down!

You're not kidding. I vote for the popular and much-suggested method of the "flying-leap-onto-the-carapace-with-whirling-crowbar".

Back