Secret Episode 2 Teaser

Ooooh good point! Or is it?

Perhaps nature had a chance to get back up to strength, what with humanity unable to leave the cities...

TheBleeding said:
Quick question: I thought the outside of City 17, and the world in general, was a barren wasteland? Looks pretty lush to me. Oblivion style, even.

Exactly what I thought, interesting change.

The wasteland was in pretty constant flux according to Raising the Bar, but people clung most closely to the "barren wasteland" idea because that is the idea that seemed to get most development in the HL2 release cycle. Nothing in RtB is official by its own power, so if Valve decide to rework the idea they can. Really, the Ep2 landscape isn't exactly lush, and isn't too far away from the kind of hills we glimpsed in Highway 17 and Exit 17.

Closer look.

EP2-11.jpg

kupoartist said:
Really, the Ep2 landscape isn't exactly lush, and isn't too far away from the kind of hills we glimpsed in Highway 17 and Exit 17.

For what we see in the trailer, which is a view of the burning City 17, a Houndeye-synth-mini-thingy running through the woods accompanied by some Striders and at the end the Houndeye-thing jumping down and lunging at the camera, it looks pretty nice to me. Namely the woodland at the end of the trailer.

Then again, I spend alot of holidays in woods in Wales, so it will look nice, and un-touched by any oppressive force which has taken over the world, to me.

Maybe the citizens of City 17 only think its a barren wasteland because they haven't seen the outside of it in years and years...

But the section you get teleported too at the beginning of hl2 where the teleporters going wrong, it is a empty barren wasteland, im now confuzzled :(

The woodlands seem to be in a high altitude region, maybe somewhere close to the Kraken.

I'm not so entirely sure that Alyx does die in Episode 2. For one, I'm sure Valve wouldn't sacrifice a character that they've just got the player to get attached to. And also, they've pulled a similar stunt like they've done in this trailer for Episode 2. Have a look at Half-Life 2: Episode One Launch Teaser! It makes you (or it made me at least) think that Dog is destroyed. Maybe they're just messing with a sequence of game events to make us think that Alyx dies?

99.vikram said:
The woodlands seem to be in a high altitude region, maybe somewhere close to the Kraken.
Actually just before you get on that last train in Exit 17, you can see hills in the direction opposite from the Citadel. Provided by the fact the City 17 remains are set to be visable in EP2, it's evident these woods are not that far away from City 17.

Although I'm very sure the trailer is meant for us to imply alyx dies in ep2, I'm also very sure she doesn't. At any rate, not by falling off the train. If she did fall to her death as the trailer implies, that vorty wouldn't be carrying her in his arms, he'd be need a bucket.

oik said:
And those things do look vary much like combine controlled houndeyes,like the way humans where turned into combine,houndeyes got turned into ... eh combeyes.. ?

Personally, I'd think combhounes sounds better :p

Those "mini striders" are good news, i hope we will see more alien like ennemies as in Half-Life 1. In HL2 apart from the antlions, the headcrabs and the striders there was not much alien ennemies. Now we have seen the stalkers in EP 1, but they were just like puppets and they were no danger at all.
I must say that i'm a bit tired to always fight either zombies and antlions or soldiers in EP1. In EP1 there was nothing new, no new ennemies or weapons, i was expecting some surprises that never happened. Fortunately EP1 was well done and enjoyable to play.

secret friend said:
are all the shots in that trailer actual gameplay or prerendered images?
Well, neither if we're being strict. All the shots seem to be "in-engine", but "actual gameplay" stretches it a bit given the interesting camera angles you get in there. The only bit that looks suspect is the hill, with smoking City17 vista but I think that's just a motion thing (it looks too blurry to me, but it is also entirely believeable as an in engine scene without the camera pan).

Back