Secret of Mana Mod Update

A

Azlan

If you grew up in the 1980's and have been playing video games since Nintendo, the chances of you playing the SNES game, Secret of Mana are relatively high. The game was created by Squaresoft, a company that redefined the turn-based RPG with its Final Fantasy series throughout the 1990's. The Secret of Mana was a story revolving around the Mana Tree, which holds the world together and keeps all the elemental forces in balance with each other. An interview with ego-games.de can be found here</>.
[br]
[url=http://www.halflife2.net/news//1106711953_potos4.jpg]

[br]To learn more about this exciting mod, go to http://returntomana.mods.de/eng/index2.htm and leave input on their forums so that they can get this great idea for a mod out asap!

From the interview:
We plan to release the mod in a "when its done" kind of way. But everybody wants to hear some sort of deadline, so expect ot to be done 2007-2008.
That's pretty far in the future. We might all be playing Half-Life 3 by then!

well, i can and will wait for this one. i dont think 2007 is the date we'll have to wait for...

I hope the rest of the team is as talented as the mapper/texture guys are.

rainbow.gif

1076546720039.jpg

lollipops.jpg

rabbit.gif

I think that sums up this map pretty well.

It looks awesome though.

Moto-x_Pat said:
*snip*
I think that sums up this map pretty well.

It looks awesome though.
ROFL

Looks great. But the deadline is pants :(

-Alix

Not my cup of tea, but my commendations to the team nonetheless for the effort and a pretty good looking product (in it's own unique way).

It looks great. There is another photo on the website.

potos3.jpg

Cheers,
bbyybb.

ROFL 2007/2008, I don't want to even start looking forward to this mod.

They just say 2007/2008 to not get anypeoples hopes up like saying the 1st beta will be in 3months or n e thing.

The map is looking great, a bit blocky though but then again it's probably still a WIP. Nice to see a different colourscheme for a change.

Moto-x_pat, that was pure comic gold! :) :thumbs:

This is a stunning mod so far. You guys shouldnt take the deadline too seriously, it's just for those who always demand a release date despite the fact that rlease dates never stick.

I hope nintendo doesn't jump on this project and kill it like so many other mods based on published titles.

At least they are not setting unrealistic timeframes, if they release it sooner than it is a bonus. That way people will be happy when it is released early.

Cheers,
bbyybb.

brisck1 said:
This is a stunning mod so far. You guys shouldnt take the deadline too seriously, it's just for those who always demand a release date despite the fact that rlease dates never stick.

I hope nintendo doesn't jump on this project and kill it like so many other mods based on published titles.

If they do, I will personally beat up Satoru Iwata.

brisck1 said:

When has nintendo done this? Because I think a Super Mario Source in 3d but with 2d gameplay would be sick.

Those screenshots look very cool. Beats the 4,254,982 mods using the Half-Life 2 story that we'll end up with. :LOL:

Anable said:
I will personally beat up Satoru Iwata.

You'd better take caution... He'll CRUSH YOUR FACE IN AND STEAL YOUR LOOSE CHANGE!! :bounce:

brisck1 said:

Which mods (from other games) have been shut down?

brisck1 said:
Square-Enix would be the ones to pull the plug. Nintendo just liscenced the game - they didn't create it. 2007/8 is waaayyy in the future. As i'm naturally pessemistic, I think Square-Enix will get their act together sooner or later and issue a cease and desist.

BillyJoBob said:
Wow that looks good, cant wait for this one!

I will be in my thirties by then!!! THIRTY!!!!!!!! 2008 is 3 years away my god Half Life 4 should be out on "Steam v2.0" by then :eek:

DUDES! Geez, some guys really don't understand!

By reading the context of that sentence, you can clearly conclude that they won't give you a release date but IT CERTAINLY WILL BE OUT BEFORE 2007 - 2008. That's like the DNF story : they should've said that in the beginning. So a suprise could not be far away.

kupoartist said:
Square-Enix would be the ones to pull the plug. . . I think Square-Enix will get their act together sooner or later and issue a cease and desist.
There was quite the little brouhaha over this very issue when this mod was first announced on this site, but the developers assured us they were taking the proper steps to keep their noses legally clean. I see they've changed the description from "an unofficial sequel to Secret of Man" to "a very special fantasy adventure, inspired by a wounderfull series on Snes." However, troubling phrases like "You will meet old friends and confidants again..." and "Old and new enemies will get in your way..." indicate that they are still planning to use the names and likeness of copyrighted characters. Even the name "Return to Mana" sounds enough like the original to be cause for concern.

This is all very unfortunate as this looks to be one of the more promising mods currently being developed.

2007-2008 and no alpha or beta release. That's only 2-3 years of development. That's a shorter time than for many modifications to Half-Life.

Some of you are new to this, aren't you?

Pffft. The guy was obviously joking when he said 2007/08.

2 entries found for gullible.
gul·li·ble Audio pronunciation of "gullible" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gl-bl)
adj.

Easily deceived or duped.

[From gull2.]gulli·bili·ty n.
gulli·bly adv.

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

gullible

adj 1: naive and easily deceived or tricked; "at that early age she had been gullible and in love" [syn: fleeceable, green] 2: easily tricked because of being too trusting; "gullible tourists taken in by the shell game"

Namron said:
That's only 2-3 years of development. That's a shorter time than for many modifications to Half-Life.

at least someone gets his facts straight :D

it's 4 years of development in all, that's a regular amount of time, when you're upto such a huge project.

we will take our time, just remember how long hl2 was in development ;)

I'm curious... why "Return to Mana", given that the "Mana" series is of a series of at least 3 games... 4 if you want to be picky? Surely that's a bit confusing for people who have played "Legend of Mana" and the recent remake of "Sword of Mana", which themselves bear little relation to the game they're supposedly prequeling / sequelling? Also, it sadly has to be said that very few people will understand a need to "Return to Mana" because I can't imagine it to be a very widely played game...

Still, better than "Return to Seiken Densetsu 2" :p

Nevertheless, Secret of Mana itself was a very imaginative game that was endlessly fun since your weapons leveled up! Who else remembers the pink birds flying in the Intro and being swept away at those great graphics?

Back