Seeing player names

F

fallen

OK, this may seem a bit n00bish to ask, but after hours of trawling I just can't find the answer. I was watching a video a friend of mine made of a Team DM game we were playing, and I noticed that on his computer that whenever he pointed his crosshair at another player the words Friend:Nick or Enemy:Nick appeared on his screen so he could see who he was fighting. It doesn't do this on mine. I asked him how he had done it, but he didn't know, saying it'd always done it. I figured it must be a console command or similar then, probably a cl_somethingorother as it seemed client independant, being that I could play in the same game as him, but not see other players names. Anyone got any ideas how I can switch this on?

Um...

hud_centerid 1

... It's useful for hitting enemies with the magnum. As soon as you see the name pop up, shoot.

I'm pretty sure it's not a server addon. I've seen it since day one and on my own LAN server, and I don't have any admin plug-ins installed, or any other for that matter.

... It's useful for hitting enemies with the magnum. As soon as you see the name pop up, shoot.

I wouldn't trust it.

The name doesn't line up with the model, and it actually screws up my aim even more (for me) so I have it set to 0, that way it's in my bottom left hand corner.

hmm hud_centerid doesnt seem to do squat unless you're in cs:s, where the player names are already shown to one side of the screen, in hldm it seems to do nothing. any other ideas?

Polar_Bear said:
I wouldn't trust it.

The name doesn't line up with the model, and it actually screws up my aim even more (for me) so I have it set to 0, that way it's in my bottom left hand corner.
That's odd. It works fine for me, well at least in dark areas.

It isn't a server add-on. If it's not hud_centerid, I'm not sure. Sorry.

That command does ring a bell but I'm pretty sure it depends on the game. I bet in cs/css and DoD it works fine but regular HL/HL2 DM games it doesn't come with the mod. It has to be coded. I never play cs/dod so I'm not real sure there. I know for a fact that you have to have Admin Mod for it to work with HL1 games.

Ah well, thanks for your help guys. That admin mod is pretty cool in itself anyway, so worth playing with :)

Back