Sell Outs

Korgoth

Reaction score
So in your opinion, whos the biggest sell out band you know of currently?

Me:

Stone Sour

and

Powerman 5000
(holy crap, has anyone heard their new song, it makes me sick)

metallica for acting like they are poor because people download their songs and for making the god aweful st.anger.

Any artists you hear on 107.1... are usually either shitty, or a sell-out. :D

I hear 'My Chemical Romance' before they were signed were actually good...then they started with the shit everyone knows.

Audioslave too i think. Tom, Timmy and Brad are flying a completely different flag from what Rage did, donating so much of their wealth to good causes and fighting a good fight. Now...they reap the rewards and it ends there.

Hahaha, Creed. Scott Stapp sounds like he's gargling marbles :LOL:

I went to a Creed concert once :(. I don't think I was even in middle school at the time, either.

probably every band you listen to

metallica for acting like they are poor because people download their songs and for making the god aweful st.anger.

That is about 5 years old with the Napster case :farmer:

Oh Jesus... that's ****ing tragic.

I think anybody I would have said is a sellout has already been stated here. I'd say Eminem as well, but that's obvious. His debut was a hilarious, jagged, trashy performance with no pretention about it. It's a shame he turned gold right at that moment, because everything since then has been bullshit about how hard life on the streets is, or soaking up in his own image, or "blame the parents" triteness to excuse his actions. Yes, Mr. Mathers, we know you're a peddler of crude audio smut, but we never wanted you to try and justify it.

I think anybody I would have said is a sellout has already been stated here. I'd say Eminem as well, but that's obvious. His debut was a hilarious, jagged, trashy performance with no pretention about it. It's a shame he turned gold right at that moment, because everything since then has been bullshit about how hard life on the streets is, or soaking up in his own image, or "blame the parents" triteness to excuse his actions. Yes, Mr. Mathers, we know you're a peddler of crude audio smut, but we never wanted you to try and justify it.

I'd have to agree. His music was, all-in-all, light-hearted and song-alongy. But now. Uhg.

I hear 'My Chemical Romance' before they were signed were actually good...then they started with the shit everyone knows.
Heh, I knew a guy who was a big fan of theirs before they made it big. I remember seeing a copy of their album "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" at his place a couple years back. Then I'm Not Okay came out as a single and the album started getting big TV exposure and selling big... like a year after it's release or something >_>

Also, Tool.

They sold their soul to make a record.

Then you bought one.

Metallica..for their avid denouncement of "illegal downloading", and making the crap album st. anger.

One of the reasons I like nine inch nails so much is that trent has yet to sell out. He doesn't change his music so that it gets played on the radio (well hand that feeds was pretty catchy so it got a lot of radio play but thats a coincidence, as trent stated in an interview). And when he wanted to play on MTV using George W. Bush as the backdrop and mtv wouldn't let him use it, he didn't play the concert. Thats a true musician right there...doing what they feel is best rather than what will grant them the most money. I can't say with any honesty that there's much of those left these days

Metallica..for their avid denouncement of "illegal downloading", and making the crap album st. anger.

One of the reasons I like nine inch nails so much is that trent has yet to sell out. He doesn't change his music so that it gets played on the radio (well hand that feeds was pretty catchy so it got a lot of radio play but thats a coincidence, as trent stated in an interview). And when he wanted to play on MTV using George W. Bush as the backdrop and mtv wouldn't let him use it, he didn't play the concert. Thats a true musician right there...doing what they feel is best rather than what will grant them the most money. I can't say with any honesty that there's much of those left these days

No he's being a twat,If its about Music he would have played for the Fans.What does Music have to do with George Bush? Is he trying some a pseudo Bono?

No he's being a twat,If its about Music he would have played for the Fans.What does Music have to do with George Bush? Is he trying some a pseudo Bono?

he wanted to give what he thought would be the best show for the fans. they just would not let him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9C1O4IK5dE

that is an eminem circa 1997 freestyling. its amazing the things he can think of on the spot.

every band that has a Music Video "sold out".

get real guys.

Selling out is catering to the lowest common denominator or anything approaching that level in order to make a quick buck. Hence the term "selling out". Last I checked, a video does not constitute this by default.

And for the record, Trent has the right to do what he wishes with his music. Think what you want about his spat with MTV over the Bush backdrop, but catering into MTV's demands would be a sacrifice of his integrity. The problem wasn't with Trent utilizing political imagery, but MTV's delicate sensibilities about (god forbid) potentially having some audience members being subjected to imagery they might not like. Certainly can't have anybody making waves. That's, like, not what rock is about.

Green Day

They were cool before they went all Hot Topic on us.

Why is there another mention of Metallica and the Napster incident? We're looking for 'whos the biggest sell out band you know of currently?'

Metallica haven't done anything recently so haven't been able to 'sell-out' currently!

Note: i am not saying Metallica didn't sell out nor saying they did but that the Napster incident is not an accurate response to the thread

I may say though (on topic here) that Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted and Gilby Clark have sold out with their Rock*Supernova thingy

Hell yes to Tommy Lee and Green Day.

But how have Stone Sour sold out?

Why is there another mention of Metallica and the Napster incident? We're looking for 'whos the biggest sell out band you know of currently?'

Metallica haven't done anything recently so haven't been able to 'sell-out' currently!

Note: i am not saying Metallica didn't sell out nor saying they did but that the Napster incident is not an accurate response to the thread

I may say though (on topic here) that Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted and Gilby Clark have sold out with their Rock*Supernova thingy

I would count St. Anger as a move towards selling out too - Music was becoming less about solos and lyrics and more just playing fast and getting people in a mood...It was a mindless, talentless album.

Also - Ozzy Osbourne (Reality shows)
Travis Barker (for same reasons)

Basically anyone who does that - it is just selling out because it's a marketing ploy. Also years ago I saw a show where a metal band turned into a pop boy band - that is CERTAINLY seeling out...

I kinda thought the Unforgiven was very one, and Nothing else matters was a good track.

Manic street preachers, but I'm unsure if its really a sell out, the music went more mainstream but that was after a major shake up loosing a band member.

Haha, thanks for posting that! I was trying to hunt it down, too :) (That was the case where they weren't allowed to play Lithium, right?)
Not sure if this is what you're reffering to, but there was one performance where they were meant to play Teen Spirit or Lithium or something on a talkshow, but came out with Territorial Pissings instead :D

Here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXQ5lhI2ah0

Saw these on a Nirvana doco awhile back, not sure what it was called though...

Anyway, sorry for the semi-off-topic-ness. Although Nirvana are a pretty good example of a band that made it big and refused to sell out, as far as I'm aware anyway. I heard they went as far as boycotting playing Teen Spirit live for awhile after it became well-known, cause they got sick of hearing it :p

Travis Barker sold out when he left The Aquabats for blink-182.

Anyway, sorry for the semi-off-topic-ness. Although Nirvana are a pretty good example of a band that made it big and refused to sell out, as far as I'm aware anyway. I heard they went as far as boycotting playing Teen Spirit live for awhile after it became well-known, cause they got sick of hearing it :p
I don't think many of the Seattle bands sold out. Pearl Jam stopped making music videos when their Jeremy video got censored in 1992. Mtv got annoyed since Pearl Jam were massive at the time and they had no videos to show. They didn't make another one until 1998, then 2006.

In Flames are the worst because they managed to go from being one of the best metal bands around, to being one of the worst nu metal bands around.

Back