SFX!! How To? Huh? What?

Agent4054

Reaction score
I'm bored and tired and thought this forum needed another topic...

As most of you know, alot goes into sound creation. Every click of a weapon reloading, the sound of shell discharge, and anything that could and would make a sound. For Instance, the new T3 movie is incredibly sound-rich.

Steve Ticknor concerning morphing:

"These aren't the usual easy morphs that flow smoothly from one face or hand or whatever to another," he says. "The morphing sounds we did for T-X's arm required a huge amount of work. The arm is slowly building, and all of its parts are morphing together to create a cannon. Not just a hand transforming into a cannon, mind you, but a hand transforming into a tool, then transforming into multiple tools, and finally into the cannon, which is a very intricate design." When the arm begins to unfold, it "skins" as electricity dances about and the weapons start charging. A power-transformer sound kicks in as the charge ramps up and the arm continues to unfold, all within 3 seconds. Needless to say, no simple reversed-whooshing sound smearing through the morphs would do here. Most of the sound effects in T-3 are composites of up to 100 elements each.

This is one of the best examples for sound design i can think of. If you are thinking of going into sound design, a few things are required:

1. Creativity. You must be able to think like a mad man. Literally.
2. Good looks. Drives the women nuts.
3. An extremely messed up sense of humour. Needed in order to communicate successfully with other Audiophiles.
4. A fetish for audio equipment

Heh, ok. Now you might be wondering (for those who have no clue how to make sfx and wish to know or just have nothing better to do than read this) how do I make one of those awesome weapon sounds or whatever. Well, as an example, I recently attempted a molotov cocktail sound. Was fun, but kinda dangerous. Filling a beer bottle with water and smashing it on the ground was fun. Lighting a kerosene(sp?) filled bucket and then knocking it over was dangerous.

The two sounds i used (glass/water and flames) were then put together using a mixing program (ie. protools, sonar, cooledit) and randomized.
End product: something that sounded far from yet not entirely unlike a molotov cocktail :p. Oh well.

too.. much..typing... Yeah another thing.. When creating sound effects for real-life objects, it is very rare to use the actual sound for that object. Telephones are an exception of course. This site is a good example of using oddball sounds: http://www.filmsound.org/articles/redoctober.htm

Ok, i'm going off to bed now. "Shutup agent. you talk to much. get outta here!"

:x

Damn time limit. Oh, and if anyone needs more help, just ask. Or if i didn't clarify enough. I'm sure someone else here has sfx experience besides myself.

Reactor v4.0 is excellent if you want to create fx like lazer guns, shots etc..

I personally think it's more fun to try and make the sound effects directly :D

Go around the streets with a mic, recording shit... Whatever works.

I usually mix lots of crappy sounds I recorded before, while ajusting the frequencies and shit... sometimes it works.
Of course, you have to know what you're doing (the result you'll prolly get after apply an FX)

kids, listen to Sniper and record any shitty sounds around you ! \o/

Hooray for pink noise!!!!! :cheers: Oh yeah, sniper.. you know those explosions I showed you? Made completely from noise. :D

haha, playing with noise is sooooo funny.... I remember creating snare drum with noise, explosions (just like you :x), even atmospheric noise...
making sounds from scratch is quite hard, you'll need an external program (reactor, reason, fl studio...) to create special things.
(I created a plasmagun shot with CoolEditPro "almost" from scratch...

btw Agent, can I listen to sounds you made ?! :D

EDIT: dangit. for some reason, I can't post up an ftp link :mad:

ho... how big it is ?
you can't upload it on a website ? too bad...

EDIT: look at my last post. files on server were tampered with

*BZZZT*

thanx, it works... hehe

I dunno where are those sounds I made... I prolly lost them, aww crap.

are you making musics too ?

Yeah, I make music in fruityloops and reason. It's certainly not the best, and I do it just for kicks. If you want to hear it, be my guest.

EDIT: link gone because files the the server were tampered with

I have a few songs in there and only one of them are complete.
Trance End is my first full song made with fruity4. It has samples in it (drums only) and those drum loops were made by me, also using fruity4. Its ~14 mins long, is melodic trance, and is generally pretty good for a first try.
Scratch-n-Snif.ogg is my fav

enjoy the others as well. oh and please don't go snooping around the other sections of that ftp. Nothing good can come of it.

o_O

hmmm, well - look out for a 128kbit mp3 called The Legend Of Zelda - Swords remix. That's Snipey's! :D I done it quite a while back, now - messing about with some friends.

Does anyone know the homepage for the Reactor software? Google provided little help.

Back