shit performance with decent system

jimbo118

Reaction score
my sys is 3.2ghz pen 4,1gig ddr2 ram,xp and 256mb x800xt,the recent steam update seem to improve my performance but i just used fraps and my fps dropped to 9fps in anticitizen1,why is my performance so bad?

settings are all maxed with 4aa and 16af,vsync off,new omegas,res 1280/1024

You used fraps and you are wondering why the performance is so bad?

^Ben said:
You used fraps and you are wondering why the performance is so bad?
fraps only should affect performance if you are recording a movie.

Regardless, if you only want to benchmark your FPS, instead of running fraps type cl_showfps 1 in the console.

+showbudget shows FPS as well. It also shows you how bad HL2 runs due to the way the engine accesses data from the HD.

Well he made it out he started recording a movie.

Yah the stutter problem is annoying im suprised it was in there when I actually noticed it.

The patch seems to have fixed most of it for me.

wasnt recordin,what patch?,thought it was just a suggestion steam said to do to stop stutterin

jimbo118 said:
wasnt recordin,what patch?,thought it was just a suggestion steam said to do to stop stutterin
Try running HL2 without fraps or other programs running in the background first, and see if your performance is still bad. In-game, you can check your FPS by typing cl_showfps 1 in the console, like I said, or by following dogboy73's suggestion.

With your system you shouldn't have a problem with AA or AF, but it won't hurt to turn them both off just to see how things run. If your performance is still around 9fps, something is seriously wrong. I would start looking at trying out other video card drivers if that is the case.

Also, you're making sure you've turned your AA and AF settings in your video card driver's properties to "Application Preference", right? I have a 6800 Ultra here, and if I have my AA set to forced 8x in my driver properties, HL2 performance is absolutely terrible. Just another thought.

Edit: additionally, try starting Steam in offline mode. To do this, just disable your network connection or unplug your cable and then start Steam. Some people have reported better performance with Steam in offline mode.

How long have you been using the Omega drivers? Sometimes they just don't seem to work well for a rare few cards.

http://halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54048

Don't use FRAPS. It's horrible unless you have dual processors or something. You can get silky smooth 30FPS video if you use the technique in the thread above.

I have an XP2500 and 512MB RAM and I can do 30FPS 640X480 with all settings on high with no problems at all. Could probobly go higher. Just be patient with it ;)

Back