Should Adrian be forgoten?

Should Adrian get his own game Again?

• Total voters
Yes, I think Adrian should be forgotten...but not forgiven.

Yes, he has no reason for being realesed, he's just g-man's pet.

Oh no! I thought the question was should Adrian be forgotten and I didn't look on the poll. I meant to vote for yes.

Prince of China said:
Oh no! I thought the question was should Adrian be forgotten and I didn't look on the poll. I meant to vote for yes.

Yeah it's confusing....deceptive, almost. There is no low that those trixy Adrian acolytes will not stoop to to garner support...

I said yes, because there's no option for ambivalence.

Opposing Force had a really solid ending but, as Scottsman said, more gameplay is also good gameplay.

i am a fan of anything HL related and hey...theres potential there for pumping out more HL/Shepherd related titles and like Scottsman said, more is good :thumbs:

besides, all polls which have included Adrian Shepherd's name regarding expansions, the Shepherd choice has won them all so clearly theres gamers here would love to see him back.

You started a deceptive topic my friend.

The topictitle is the opposite of the Poll question.

This poll should be deleted and a new one opened, I voted the wrong answer cause of the difference in name and question, and many people probably did so the results are going to be screwed up.

Goddamit. Delete this. I voted yes. Idiot. You tricked me, this was set up! :angry:

UndeadScottsman said:
More official Half-Life is always good. Period.
As true as this is, it is more of a reason not to use Shepherd: we need something new, not a vapourous character who's entire backstory can be fully represented by a few sentences.

It wouldn't kill me to see Shepherd back. I look at it this way:
1) If he comes back, fewer new characters are brought back.
2) Many people love him with a passion. I like seeing such people get let down and pissed off. :D

Well, I actually read the question, so I voted correctly.

Adrian doesn't need his own game. I couldn't give a damn either way, anyways.

-Angry Lawyer

If the make an add-on with Adrian Shepard, thats more gameplay, and thats always good. But if they don't have Adrian in there, everyone can forget him, and the world will be happy again. :)

kupoartist said:
As true as this is, it is more of a reason not to use Shepherd: we need something new, not a vapourous character who's entire backstory can be fully represented by a few sentences.
You mean like Freeman?

UndeadScottsman said:
You mean like Freeman?
As a matter of fact, Yes, or at least before HL2.

Freeman is slightly better off in that Half-Life 1 is a longer game. He is now about 4 times as fleshed out as Shepherd due to Half-Life 2, but it didn't really matter if Valve brought back Freeman for HL2 at all: HL2 could easily have been a new adventure about someone else getting recruited by the G-Man.

Now, i'm not so sure: 2 games, an expansion pack and an emerging cast of consistant characters to ground the character in some kind of continuity mean that Freeman is becoming more of a fully realised character. Shepherd was "the poor man's Gordon Freeman" to begin with: he was just 'there' and the ending never implied that he'd be back. Freeman meanwhile kicked off the whole series by pushing a cart into a whirly beam of death, he completed supposedly important objectives, got himself a reputation among Allies, Marines and even the Aliens and then he was given a job which implied he would return. Not the best fleshed out character in existance, but still far better than Shepherd.

Important to the fact that Shepherd probably won't return - and I don't want him - is that he has no place. His purpose was to offer us the alternative view to the main thrust of the game, the "Opposing Force". If we want just another expansion where we run around Freeman style, we have Freeman. As a Marine, Shepherd no longer has any function in a combine controlled world, save for being a Freeman clone. Boring. Yes, conceivably someone could write a story where he becomes a combine, but why crowbar an old, pointless character into the role when you can use a new one?

Shepherd = Defunct.

It was only a matter of time before Polaris found this thread :flame:

In OpFor, Adrian fights on the side of the Soldiers trying to kill Freeman, right? So what if a new mod comes out with Shepard, and he's still trying to kill Freeman, meaning he's a Combine now.

Dag said:
In OpFor, Adrian fights on the side of the Soldiers trying to kill Freeman, right? So what if a new mod comes out with Shepard, and he's still trying to kill Freeman, meaning he's a Combine now.

He tried to kill Freeman, because he was silencing the facility. He is now in the hands of gman who is ANTI combine. Therefore, no.

G-man might not be Anti-Combine. He could be using Freeman to wage war against the Combine, so that they might bring in heavier equiptment and wipe out mankind all together. It's never been stated that G-man is human.

Did I say gman was human? No, that is because I don't think he is human. It is more than obvious he is alien.

But first off, it is completely obvious he is anti combine. He had you destroy their reactor and passage to earth, he had you liberate the city. Its someone silly to think he wants to bring in heavier equipement to wipe out humanity altogether since he could have just left humanity to rot...you do know there is hardly a humanity left? There area few cities dotted around the earth, combine controlled. And the human populace is near zero...we almost got wiped out.

If he wanted to kill us all, he could have simply left us and we would have been eventually destroyed or harvested by the combine anyway.

I'd ssay there's probably more than a thousand people left, of course as population goes that nothing.

Samon said:
Did I say gman was human? No, that is because I don't think he is human. It is more than obvious he is alien.

But first off, it is completely obvious he is anti combine. He had you destroy their reactor and passage to earth, he had you liberate the city.

Actually, the Gman "had you" do nothing; he just dropped you off on the train and the rest played out itself. We don't know if anything Freeman did was specificly part of the Gman's plans since never actually gave Freeman any orders nor made his wishes known. Maybe he wanted to help humanity along; maybe he just wanted Freeman to strut his stuff.

UndeadScottsman said:
Actually, the Gman "had you" do nothing; he just dropped you off on the train and the rest played out itself. We don't know if anything Freeman did was specificly part of the Gman's plans since never actually gave Freeman any orders nor made his wishes known. Maybe he wanted to help humanity along; maybe he just wanted Freeman to strut his stuff.
You see him on your way so it means that he's watching you and makes sure that you go the right way and do the right stuff.

Samon said:

But first off, it is completely obvious he is anti combine. He had you destroy their reactor and passage to earth, he had you liberate the city. Its someone silly to think he wants to bring in heavier equipement to wipe out humanity altogether since he could have just left humanity to rot...you do know there is hardly a humanity left? There area few cities dotted around the earth, combine controlled. And the human populace is near zero...we almost got wiped out.

If he wanted to kill us all, he could have simply left us and we would have been eventually destroyed or harvested by the combine anyway.

Or, he was sold off to the highest bidder, who just happened to be anti-Combine. The next highest Bidder could be Combine.

I like the idea of Shephard being the anti-gordon, whose primary goal is to kill Freeman. I would personally like to see Shephard turned into a Combine Elite Task Force, whose goal is to kill high ranking resistance leaders, in this case, Freeman. The expansion, like what OP4 did for the Marines, could humanize the Overwatch.

French Ninja said:
I like the idea of Shephard being the anti-gordon, whose primary goal is to kill Freeman. I would personally like to see Shephard turned into a Combine Elite Task Force, whose goal is to kill high ranking resistance leaders, in this case, Freeman. The expansion, like what OP4 did for the Marines, could humanize the Overwatch.
I like the idea. What could happen is that you rush into Nova Prospekt, just as freeman gets out. You would've had a cutscene in a dropship, and then fight through the Xen creatures to get to the teleport room, busted in, and attacked. But failed. Then fight back to c17, the combine loose control, and its you along with the rebels.

r2000 said:
I like the idea. What could happen is that you rush into Nova Prospekt, just as freeman gets out. You would've had a cutscene in a dropship, and then fight through the Xen creatures to get to the teleport room, busted in, and attacked. But failed. Then fight back to c17, the combine loose control, and its you along with the rebels.

You rush into Nova Prospekt just as Freeman escapes? Great, I like that idea, that way Shepard can be blown sky high by the explosion caused by the portal :bounce:

Shepards goal was not to kill Gordon, he never got his orders, his goal was to stop the Race-X invasion

Back