should gym in high school be mandatory?

should gym be mandatory in high school?

• yes

Votes: 91 69.5%
  • no

Votes: 63 48.1%

• Total voters
Yes and no, just because I can vote for both.

It should be mandatory for fat kids.

rofl gym class was sweet I miss those times. It only sucked running during second semester because it starts to get really, really, really hot outside towards April and May but other than that so many hilarious memories.

rofl gym class was sweet I miss those times. It only sucked running during second semester because it starts to get really, really, really hot outside towards April and May but other than that so many hilarious memories.

Up here in AK we used the school halls for a track because the outside one was covered in snow.
I ran to near exhaustion just to finish first. Good times.

Since then the school has been renovated and there is asecond story indoor track now. :/

lol, i didnt mean to make the poll multiple choice.

Here's a better question: should students already partaking in sports (extracurriculum) have to take the damn gym class as well?

If it was up to the more chubby people to take gym class.... well... half would say no, and the other half would have a run through Burger King window in the gym.

...No. Hell no. Gym is perhaps the most decidedly unacademic course you could possibly try to implement into academe.

And I'm not even a fat kid.

Yes but they should restructure it. Less sports more exercise, do endurance training and just generaly try and get people fit. I hated the sports, I was shit at them and just got bored all the time and dossed about instead.

in the US it probably has to be given the obesity levels and bad diet/food culture
Although it sucks that its getting in the way of your ambition - you should probably discuss it with your dean/principal

we are a fat, gluttonous country. the US needs it.

Gym = Did not put me into any better shape than I was.
Playing Paintball and now having a job = Better shape.

Rofl I work at a grocery store too.

we are a fat, gluttonous country. the US needs it.

That is a bullshit stereotype. 100% false. In fact, I used to work at McDonalds, the place where supposedly only fatasses go to eat big macs all day. When I worked there I saw mostly skinny people, nowhere near this "everyone in USA is a fatass" that everyone is perpetuating. And nobody ordered like 600 bigmacs for themselves like a lot of the stereotypers seem to think. Some people need to get a reality check..instead of believing everything they read on the internet.

The obesity level is bs as well. Just before they introduced this piece of crap BMI system, the "overweight" percentage was much lower. Then as soon as this piece of crap is implemented, millions of americans are now considered obese. What a surprise...must be just a coincidence right?? The BMI system seems to totally disreguard muscle mass. My father for example is a very built guy. But because of his height (6'3) and his weight (290 lbs) he is considered obese. But if you were to look at him in public you would just see a pretty big, but not fat guy. My aunt on the other hand, is quite obese, and is around and about 5'9ish in height and 260 lbs. But with this BMI system my father and my aunt would be grouped into the same category (obese), which is a load of crap, and a terrible, terrible system.

Just for the record I am 6'0, and about 140 lbs. Ya, you can tell i'm fat and gluttonous right??

Gym is mandatory here. God knows why. I think it has something to do with conscription.

But really, I dislike gym, because there is simply no point in throwing 5kg balls around.

Gym should force kids to run the entire class...

Yes. But less sports, more running.

I voted yes. People in general need exercise and otherwise don't get any/much. But on the other hand, if it is not manditory the gym classes won't be filled with useless bums who don't want to be there, it'd just people people who want it.

Considering gym class here is sit in the bleachers and do your homework while the gangsta kids play basketball...

No.

Up here in AK we used the school halls for a track because the outside one was covered in snow.
I ran to near exhaustion just to finish first. Good times.

Since then the school has been renovated and there is asecond story indoor track now. :/
Damn. I liked running in the cold (only thing was at least once each year I'd get sick from running in the cold) but I can't imagine running in Alaska frozen temps.

Haha I just remembered one time in gym class-

You ALL know Deathseeker (Princess_Jen) he's a short kid. Me and like 10 other people got pissed at him one day and ****ing locked him INSIDE a locker (the ones in the locker room were bigger than regular academic lockers), with the lock, then left. ROFL.

He was screaming and banging on the lockers. Hahaha

Way too many fat kids so it should defenitely be mandatory sorry OP but the majority of people need it

I was never particuarly good at sports but I still enjoyed P.E. classes back when they were still compulsary. They help you keep you fit and they're a welcome break in the middle of a day of lessons where you're actually studying for something that will be important to your actual education. Sure I was crap at sport, but at least no-one was marking me down for it, and it was fun at the same time.

You ALL know Deathseeker (Princess_Jen) he's a short kid. Me and like 10 other people got pissed at him one day and ****ing locked him INSIDE a locker (the ones in the locker room were bigger than regular academic lockers), with the lock, then left. ROFL.
Woah you know Princess_Jen? Sweet. Give him a punch in the face for me please.

P.E. was never compulsory for me back in the day, but I don't see that being a bad thing.

I would have taken P.E. as mandatory over French as mandatory anyday.

Here in Canada (or at least where I'm from), High School consists of 4 grades (9, 10, 11, and 12). In order to graduate High School, you only need to have 1 Phys. Ed. (gym) credit. You can take that credit in any year, just as long as you have 1 by the time you graduate.

In grades 9 and 10, they only offer the regular gym program (sports, sports, a bit of Health assignments/classes, more sports, and also some sexual education classes in grade 9 for some reason).

In grades 11 and 12, you can still take the regular gym program except the only difference is that it is co-ed.

They also offer Fitness programs in grades 11 and 12 as alternative options. In this class there is no sports. I for one like the way it was structured. On Monday you would be in the classroom learning healthy eating habits and ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle (rather dull, but good to get it out of the way at the start of the week). On Tuesdays and Thursdays you would be running outside (only the nice part here is it's not around an oval track, but on the sidewalks around the subdivision). On Wednesdays and Fridays you would be in the weight room.

I must say I enjoyed the fitness program more than the sports classes. The sports classes that you guys are describing sound terrible. How can you have a gym class that only plays 3-4 sports a semester? The gym classes I was in had indoor hockey, soccer, volleyball, badminton, ultimate frisbee, touch/flag football, dodgeball, basketball, and yes even baseball.

No wonder you guys hate your gym classes.

The people who actually donated to his "princess jen" fanclub deserve a punch in the face as well.

Yes, because maintaining your body's function is important. However, it should not be the focus of school (i.e. high school football gets way too much attention)

Yeah at first people thought I was princess_jen and I got banned for a bit because of it because I guess our IP's matched from loggin in at school one time or something.

I'm too lazy to crop this but this is him. BTW he won't tell you what race he is he just says he's white and that he's a white supremecist (he throws up hitler salutes and weird shit all the time)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4161/maryscam006ju1.jpg

It shouldnt be mandatory if you have better things to do, ie. an extra course or something.

No.

Seriously, wtf. That's all my school offers since we're poor. Interesting classes? Naw, make 'em take gym. FFS.

Yeah at first people thought I was princess_jen and I got banned for a bit because of it because I guess our IP's matched from loggin in at school one time or something.

I'm too lazy to crop this but this is him. BTW he won't tell you what race he is he just says he's white and that he's a white supremecist (he throws up hitler salutes and weird shit all the time)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4161/maryscam006ju1.jpg

What a cock, hit him in the face for me

...No. Hell no. Gym is perhaps the most decidedly unacademic course you could possibly try to implement into academe.

And I'm not even a fat kid.

I agree, there are so many other classes that can take over gym.

If you need excerise, do something you like after school.

I know I'd rather be in Tae-Kwon-Do then Gym

Gym is the most useless thing to take in high school, chances are that anyone athletic is already taking a sport and doesn't need to take a gym class on top of that

Gym is the most useless thing to take in high school, chances are that anyone athletic is already taking a sport and doesn't need to take a gym class on top of that

Um yeah and chances are anyone not athletic who needs it is NOT taking a sport so gym takes care of that.

I like the way my school does it. You can either do a sport/physical club outside of school, take "wellness" (gym and health in one class) or get a contract. I skate for a couple hours every day, so I get gym credit for that.

Yes.

Americans are too fat as it is.

thats why making it mandatory would be a good thing, because then the out-of-shape kids would have to be physically active too.

it makes sense if you make it mandatory to either take a sport OR gym class.

Back