Should Half-Life 3 Be Next-Next-gen?

Do you want HL3 to be next-next-gen and look unbelievable, or just have it sooner?

• I'm progressive, and want HL3 to have next-next-gen graphics that blow me away, like HL2 did.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I'm content, and want HL3 to come sooner, on the current Source engine, focusing on gameplay.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I'm weird, and think that if Gabe was right, Episodes 1 and 2 "ARE" HL3, so HL4 is somehow next.

Votes: 29 32.6%

• Total voters

Dario D.

Spy
Reaction score
I was just wondering if people would rather wait three extra years for an awesome, amazing new engine with amazing new visuals, or have the a full Half-Life 3 sooner, with the graphics we already know.

I thought about this before, and thinking about the change from HL to HL2 was HUGE, so I personly would wait 5 or so years for a HL3.

considering the hl2:episodes are hl3 do none of you read up on anything and id rather not wait for valve to create a new engine since they have spent so much time on the source engine right now and considering it is so upgradable why create a new one???

If you actually knew how to read, you'd know by now that GABE HIMSELF stated that EP's 1 2 and 3 are Half-Life 3. Duh.

I don't think people can read articles that they've never seen before, and don't know exist. Nothing's dumber than blaming people for ignorance. That's like calling someone stupid for not having heard something (as people do all the time).

But first, read the third option in the poll,...

there have been many threads on this forum discussing the topic and i dont think there will be a hl4

I was just wondering if people would rather wait three extra years for an awesome, amazing new engine with amazing new visuals, or have the a full Half-Life 3 sooner, with the graphics we already know.
2 years for an awesome, amazing new engine
4 years to build up content, storyline and gameplay (plus a game of decent length)
1 year to iron out bugs and gameplay

I think of it like this. You can have HL3 in 7 years, or you can have the episodes that come twice a year. With the cliffhanger endings that Valve has been giving us, I prefer the episodic method by far. Not only does episodic content give Valve continuing feedback on what they are doing right and wrong, it gives them the chance to implement the latest technology at the same time, bit by bit.

After the HL 2 episodes Valve better up the ante again, or i'll be really disappointed in them (hasn't happened so far).

With the cliffhanger endings that Valve has been giving us, I prefer the episodic method by far. Not only does episodic content give Valve continuing feedback on what they are doing right and wrong, it gives them the chance to implement the latest technology at the same time, bit by bit.
I get what you're saying, but would anyone have been happy if Half-Life 2 was released in 3 semi-annual episodes, beginning in 2003?

hl3 should definetly be next-next-gen coz hl1 has its own engine hl2 has its own engine so hl3 should have its own engine. And ep1,ep2,and ep3 are NOT hl3 there just a continuation to hl2.

And ep1,ep2,and ep3 are NOT hl3 there just a continuation to hl2.

No they aren't.

They're HL3.

I don't even want to believe it myself though...and I'm too lazy to look for the interview where Gabe actually said that...sooo don't ask for a source :p

I think Gabe was just saying that it's "like" an HL3, because it continues the story rather than showing a different perspective of the same thing. If he's serious, which I never once thought for a moment, the gaming world would be confused as heck when Valve announced that next they were making, "Half-Life 4", which would be ridiculous. Nobody would buy that, because there's no "Half-Life 3" anywhere, and what we have here is an expansion pack.

I think it's just a matter of time before Gabe elaborates on this. He's probably just trying to get people hyped by making people think they're missing Half-Life 3 if they miss this.

The Episodes are not Half-Life 3. I don’t think Gabe Newell meant it that literally.

Another quote from Valve: The 1st 3 Half-Life 2 Episodes will finish the Half-Life 2 story arc.

Half-Life 2 Episodes are Half-Life 2 Episodes
Half-Life 3 will be Half-Life 3

^ And that's what I'm kinda hoping. But I dunno if the story will even last that long...
Then again, it's already a lot bigger and more complicated than I ever would have imagined.

hl3 should definetly be next-next-gen coz hl1 has its own engine hl2 has its own engine so hl3 should have its own engine. And ep1,ep2,and ep3 are NOT hl3 there just a continuation to hl2.

You realise Source is meant as a fully upgradeable platform. Game engines are not locked at technology levels sheesh.

As for the whole episodes thing yes there are meant to be HL3 however some naming glitch and they're HL2 eps 1-3. Hl3 will still happen no doubt but in the eyes of Valve it should be HL4. It's just a number. As for the HL universe in some interview someone (Lombardi?) said they havn't run out of material yet and theres plenty of potential for good ol Gordon.

The way I see it: Half-Life 2 Episodes are The third chunk of the Half-Life continuity, but Half-Life 3 (the Forth chunk) will be Half-Life 3.

I think it has long since been established that "Half-Life 2 Episode 1" was a bad choice for a name. It implies that it is the first segment of Half-Life 2, yet we've already had and played Half-Life 2. I personally think they should have started at Episode 2, or called it Half-Life 3.

And I'm most in favour of Valve sitting back after the Episodes and creating a giant engine leap rather than going through progressively straight into "Half-Life 3". Audiences NEED to be wowed. Think of all the interest Half-Life 2 created for itself, and compare that with what Episodic content is creating for itself. All that's really happening is that some people are moaning that it's too short, and industry figures are piping up saying "this is wrong", "this is right" and "this may be wrong and may be right". People aren't talking about Half-Life 2 Episodes, and with a similar approach, I don't see them talking about Half-Life 3 Episodes either.

I'm progressive, and want HL3 to have next-next-gen graphics that blow me away, like HL2 did.

Im hoping for it but whatever Valve decides im all for it.

I would prefer Valve to work on gameplay, I wouldn't mind if HL3 had the same graphics as HL2.

I personally hope Valve spit at the graphics department and bring what nextgen should really be. Evolution of gameplay and so on and so forth. I don't care about graphics, and I don't want Valve to go down the route of Crytek. That is why I love the HL2 episodes. Episodic content allows them to develop new gameplay elements in a shorter period of time and from a developer stand point it is much easier to take risks.

I'm hoping that Valve will make Half-life 3 on a upgraded version of the source engine

And i hope they end the half-life story with Half-life 3 , i dont want it to go on for ever.

Half-Life 1 used a modified version of the Quake engine.

I prefer a good story & great gameplay over gfx, even tho i do think that the GFX on source are very clear & detailed.

I thought about this before, and thinking about the change from HL to HL2 was HUGE, so I personly would wait 5 or so years for a HL3.
Indeed, I think 7 years after HL2 release total time would make sense, but I wouldn't doubt 8 years as well.

As for me, I think there is no reason why we can't have episodes and then have the big HL3. I say this cause the original HL had Blue Shift and Opposing Force, and are kind of the equivalent to 4 or 5 episodes when put together.

there have been many threads on this forum discussing the topic and i dont think there will be a hl4

Wrong, Gabe know's that ppl are expecting another Full HL game after EP3. they said even though the Episodes count as HL3 that does'nt nessesarily mean its the conlusion(the end) of the HL saga. believe there will another full HL game. I read some where that valve said that even though the Episodes count as HL3, but who ever said about ending the story.

I actually want it to be in the next-gen consoles because I can't afford a gaming PC of my own.

im hoping that the source engine is fully upgradeable, so if they still use source in 5 years time it could be nothing like it is now.

I just want to be surprised when i see it. Like, i open up the local friendly HL2.net website and i see an ingame teaser trailer that completely blows me away in every factor, and put specific focus on one too (like physics was to HL2). Now THAT would be awesome, even better if it was a trailer for the story.

Yeah I think they should just take a couple years and pimp out the source engine heavily and release Half Life 3 based on the Source v.2 engine.

Why would I want graphics better than those in Halflife 2? It would only require me to get a monster computer... I'd rather have them make more units, more weapons, more awesome maps etc. than having them product Halflife3 for 5 years and then stal it because of a socalled "theft."

Why would I want graphics better than those in Halflife 2? It would only require me to get a monster computer... I'd rather have them make more units, more weapons, more awesome maps etc. than having them product Halflife3 for 5 years and then stal it because of a socalled "theft."

yes i agree i would rather have them work more on the design and gameplay then graphics. considering they are adding dynamic shadows and new lighting effects with that so im content.

The Episodes are not Half-Life 3. I don’t think Gabe Newell meant it that literally.

Another quote from Valve: The 1st 3 Half-Life 2 Episodes will finish the Half-Life 2 story arc.

QFT.
I am personally all for whatever Valve decides, but would PREFER the first option in a shorter amount of time :bounce:

I'd like to think there is at least 1 more big Half-Life game with new tech advancements like HL->HL2. Even though I also like episodic content since it comes out quicker. :D
Maybe alternate between full game and episodes?

I'd like to think there is at least 1 more big Half-Life game with new tech advancements like HL->HL2. Even though I also like episodic content since it comes out quicker. :D
Maybe alternate between full game and episodes?

I agree, there should at least be one last big full HL game, think of it as a HL Grand finale. Going out in a big bang, a great final run :).

Back