Should Half-Life 3 Be Next-Next-gen?

Do you want HL3 to be next-next-gen and look unbelievable, or just have it sooner?

• I'm progressive, and want HL3 to have next-next-gen graphics that blow me away, like HL2 did.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I'm content, and want HL3 to come sooner, on the current Source engine, focusing on gameplay.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I'm weird, and think that if Gabe was right, Episodes 1 and 2 "ARE" HL3, so HL4 is somehow next.

Votes: 29 32.6%

• Total voters
Why would I want graphics better than those in Halflife 2? It would only require me to get a monster computer...

my pc is no "monster computer" by all means... but when i found out there was a half life 2 after I played Half life 1 my main prioety and all my funds when right in to buying a better pc and copy of Half life 2... If they make a Half life 3 ( or 4 w/e ) next gen that will require a better rig... I would have no problem doing it again, matter of fact i think im gonna start this holiday season... by then I will have had my piece of crap rig for a year and we all know that at the rate technology move= when you buy top of the line hardware, its second best in about a month... in a year its outta date and practically ancient... I wanna see Half life in next gen, i think that it getting GOTY twice ( didnt hl1 get it too? ) shows they can easily get it again and they deserve to, i personally dont think they can with a what they got now, not that its bad, just saying with the PS3 comeing out and screen shots I've seen for some of the games, source just doesnt stand up, dont get me wrong it can stand its ground but in the end i think i will definatly need some major advancements and upgrades which I whole heartedly belive Valve needs and will do... as for a whole new full length game... I guess I'd like to see that, I like to have a game that i have to constantly save my progress because with the short time i spent on E1 and Sin Emergence they where simply too short for a week ( this was in between work and other crap i had to do, doesnt leave much time for gameing ) I think I've made my point and have simply rambled on for far too long... out.

I agree, but to adapt the question to your statement : Will next next gen rock more then not? thats really the question at hand here. If Valves content didnt rock would most of us be here? i think not. Of corse what ever Valve gives us will rock, we're all just posting our opinons on what would rock more....

The logical thing to do would be to make HL3 in the Source engine.

It just makes sense as it would seem pointless to create a new engine from scratch...

And now that they have their own engine built from scratch they can add new effects and hopefully DX10 will be implemented soon enough meaning that new features can be used.

I'd rather have them make more units, more weapons, more awesome maps etc.
I agree (content all the way). Gimme' a game with 30 new weapons, tons of items/gear, a Deus Ex-style inventory, and a highly dynamic world (with a great story), and you're all set. :thumbs:

Who needs graphics? I'm too busy sticking remote mines to zombies, hacking computers to reprogram Combine scanners, and duct-taping grenades together to make uber-science explosions that electrify water and turn enemies into stucco.

Back