should i get halflife2?

spin03

Reaction score
i am not sure if i should get this game or not. i am not a big pc gamer, and have always prefered console over pc. i just got halo2, and i am in love with the game. but halflife 2 just looks so amazing from the SP point of view. the game looks mindblowing, and the multiplayer doesnt look half bad either :naughty: i only have a decent system:
3400+
512 ram
nvidia 5200 (horrible)
and i dont want to upgrade (hoping to get medium graphics with 40 FPS, can i pull it off?)
so basically do u reccomend this game to someone that is not a true pc gamer? :flame: :flame: :flame:

ps i never played the first one, but i love firstpersonshooters

I got a worst computer than you and I'm getting the game. The worst that could happen it's that you will have to play the game in 800 X 600.

a first person shooter loving... console gamer?

:|

p.s. Yes.

I hear its going to be ratshit.

Steer clear of it.

do you think i can run it at medium graphics with 40 FPS?

Dwaggy said:
a first person shooter loving... console gamer?

:|

p.s. Yes.

whats so bad?

are first person shooters in consoles

is just anoying PC faboysm

squint.gif

FPSes on consoles is like a diet soft drink..

Its just not the same
Plus it rots your teeth quicker.

please answer

Dwaggy said:
FPSes on consoles is like a diet soft drink..

Its just not the same
Plus it rots your teeth quicker.

I hav played many fps in consoles and IMO is the same hav play on PC just that you dont hav a keyboard and your face is not so close of the screen

urseus said:
I hear its going to be ratshit.

Steer clear of it.

why are you on our forums if only to distribute worthless, unbased information? no-one has played it yet, and every single one of the reviews for it is in the nineties. so, pull your head out of your ass or steer clear of our forums.

spin03 said:

please answer

Hard to say with that card, but most likely.

spin03 said:
so basically do u reccomend this game to someone that is not a true pc gamer?

yep

cuz consoles games and PC games are the same....games so whats the big deal

If you play in DX8 mode, yes I think you'll get an average of 35-40fps on medium settings...

crabonhead said:
why are you on our forums if only to distribute worthless, unbased information? no-one has played it yet, and every single one of the reviews for it is in the nineties. so, pull your head out of your ass or steer clear of our forums.

i think he was just joking

what res? does it have to be 800x600 to get the game on medium graphics and 35-40 FPS, and would it look better at 1024x768 with low graphics? sorry to keep asking questions just that i dont want to buy another pc game, and find out that it takes a much better system to run it decently (stupid doom3)

Pauly said:
whats the nvidia 5200 ? geforce? or FX?

It is a FX card but just barely. It sucks rocks with dynamic lighting and particle effects. He will have to run it in a lower resolution and then turn shadows off. Other than that he will be fine. Shadows only add to games when you have all the other bells and whistles on also.

Most games detect the 5200 and turn everything way down which is wrong. If you turn shadows off and particles on low then you will be able to turn up some of the texture quality and other settings that actually matter. Stay in 800x600 though.

I played about 3/4 of Halo 2 in co-op mode at a friends. It is better then the first but HL2 SP will seriously smack it around.

Doom 3 is a much more graphics intensive game, and requires a much more high end comp to run with high graphics. There isnt really many computers out there that can run doom 3 at full settings. Your comp will handle Half Life 2 just fine, ya dont even have to give that a second thought.

spin03 said:
what res? does it have to be 800x600 to get the game on medium graphics and 35-40 FPS, and would it look better at 1024x768 with low graphics? sorry to keep asking questions just that i dont want to buy another pc game, and find out that it takes a much better system to run it decently (stupid doom3)

you got a very good computer... a very good computer, but that 5200 of yours is the bottleneck. You'll probably be able to run it above 30 fps with everything high... the speed of your comp should be enough to pick up the slack from the 5200. But if you get something like a 9600xt or something you'll get much better performance.

I recommend you get the game... you will fall in love with it i'm sure.

You should play on 800x600 medium settings rather than 1024 on low. Also, you could tweak some other settings to get a better framerate.

spin03 said:

i think you should keep playing halo2, get your money's worth from that, then check out the hl2 demo when it comes out, see how that runs on your machine. And stay away from these forums unless you want the game spoiled for you in the meantime :naughty:

lets just say this...if you loved halo 2....then you will faint over Half-life 2. I say everyone should try it at least once. But that's just from watching all the binks...if you haven't seen all the binks I would suggest you watch them..then decide.

Dont miss out on the best game of all time.

Get it!

Dont get it dude. Not worth it. *waits till his copy arrives on his steam account*

-Manga :cheers:

PS. Get it. K thanks.

just one more question...

i just ran that test where it tells about how well your computer will run a game, and i put hl2 in the search engine and tested it out

http://ccon.futuremark.com/gameadvisor/service/advisor.jsp
and i have two computers
one has a 2.26 ghz pent.4, 512 ram, nvidia mx440 128 mb

the other one is 3400+ amd athlon 64, 512 ram, nvidia 5200 128 mb

and there was basically no difference in the performance between these two computers? this doesnt make sense, because my 3400+ blows away the 2.26 intel, and the 5200 is much better that the mx440 (i think) can anyone explain to me why this happened?

weird.

You should get it. My GFX 5200 can handle all high, anisotropic 4x antialias 2x at about 30 fps in Counter-Strike Source. So you could just put that on medium and play.

should you get half life 2? maybe you should ask yourself this question...

should you eat something in the next week? well i would certainly hope you said yes...

denlife7 said:
i think you should keep playing halo2, get your money's worth from that, then check out the hl2 demo when it comes out, see how that runs on your machine. And stay away from these forums unless you want the game spoiled for you in the meantime :naughty:

False. VALVe already mentioned that there will be no demo. Spin03 buy HL2 because it will be worth of your money. Graphics will be fine because Source engine is very, very scalable (people with 800MHz, 256MB RAM, GeForce1 could run CS:S well enough) You should be fine on DX8 mode and maybe a couple FX turned off. Still, it will be a prefect game.

A.I. said:
False. VALVe already mentioned that there will be no demo. Spin03 buy HL2 because it will be worth of your money. Graphics will be fine because Source engine is very, very scalable (people with 800MHz, 256MB RAM, GeForce1 could run CS:S well enough) You should be fine on DX8 mode and maybe a couple FX turned off. Still, it will be a prefect game.

Okay smartarse show me the quote where Valve says that there will never be a demo... and why don't you bold that too just so I know where it is in your dribble....

of course there will be a demo...

Back