Should I stick to PC gaming or get a Wii U? Please help and say why.

Treverend

Reaction score
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to put it, even though whatever one I choose to stick with will be the platform I buy Half-Life 2: Episode 3 for. I just want to know what everyone thinks, I really like Nintendo games like Zelda and Metroid and Mario, but Half-Life 2 is my favorite game by far and no one can beat Gordon Freeman, lol. The main reason I'm asking either or is because I really want to stick to one gaming medium next gen, since it costs so much to buy the best games for every system not to mention the systems themselves. I already have quite a bit Steam games on my PC already though, but if I stick with Steam, then I can't play the Nintendo games. And recently Valve showed interest in the Wii U. So I'm stuck in my decision. lol And yes I know PC is better, just PC won't have the new Zelda's and stuff on it too.

The answer is always PC.

The Wii U may have better graphics and hardware than the current gen of consoles (360 and PS3) but undoubtedly the next generation of Xbox and Playstation will be significantly even more powerful when they come out a few years later... Wii U strikes me as more like a half generation not a full one. Also, we don't barely know anything about Wii U or its games yet at all, because nobody has ever played one. It's all completely hype right now.

Valve showed an interest in the Wii U doesn't mean anything. They showed interest in the Wii a few years ago too but nothing ever came of it. Nintendo games are great, but when it comes down to it no sacrifice is too great to be part of the PC master race. Hardware that is always better than console hardware, even if you only build a budget rig and upgrade every few years.

Of course, it ultimately depends on you as a gamer. I can never give up PC gaming because I've been addicted to consistently playing various multiplayer PC FPSes for more than the past decade. Console shooters just do not cut it for me (or rather console interface)... and besides FPS I mostly play strategy games, which are mostly PC exclusive. I love Nintendo games too but I play them on handhelds or I play at a friends/borrow their console. If you are someone who mostly likes console games like 3rd person shooters or RPGs or whatever then the console might be the better choice.

I will always recommend PC unequivocally though. And it is my humble opinion that Half-Life in particular is something that absolutely must be enjoyed as it is intended - on the PC. You are just always going to get better graphics, better framerates, better resolution, better controls, better everything.

(moving this to Games and Gaming, makes more sense there)

I would stick with the PC for Episode Three. Episode Three is so hidden in the dark that we really don't know anything about it right now, but I do know for sure that it'll be on the three major platforms: PC, 360, and PS3. However, that's only if it comes out before Sony and Microsoft release their eighth generation consoles. There's no telling if it'll be on the WiiU, though. Keep your fingers crossed, I guess, and your eyelids peeled.

However, that's only if it comes out before Sony and Microsoft release their eighth generation consoles.
Hahahah. I love how resigned battle-hardened Valve fans are to the ambiguity of their release dates. I really hope it doesn't take them another 4 years.

Hahahah. I love how resigned battle-hardened Valve fans are to the ambiguity of their release dates. I really hope it doesn't take them another 4 years.

Nah, it won't. It's just that I've grown used to exaggerating its release date over the years. I truly believe we're going to hear some news about Episode Three right after Dota 2 is released, if not sooner. That little Easter egg in Portal 2 only adds to my hope that Valve knows how long we've been tirelessly waiting and are about ready to make a move. I can feel the anticipation rising as we sit here talking about it.

I don't understand the issue here... it's not like a lot of Wii games are coming out on Steam... seems like you can keep both and just buy the best games for each one instead of games for only one of them. PC games will always be the best online multiplayer from what I can tell and Nintendo will always have the best proprietary innovation. The fun thing is, you can always do what I do and rarely buy recent releases and wait until they drop in price unless it's some game you're super hyped about. Still... if money is the issue, you're undoubtedly going to get more overall value from your PC than your Wii.

Stick with the PC and get a 3DS further down the road. It's price will drop pretty quick I imagine, and you'll get to play a good amount of Nintendo games, plus the amazing games in the DS backlog.

PC. There's so much good stuff coming out for PC in the next year it would be a shame not to enjoy it.

......seriously?

...........really?

Herp Derp PC

PC, so you can get Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad.

Thanks guys, and I LOVE Half-Life! I have all the achievements for Half-Life 2, and both it's episodes. xD You can call me a nerd, but it's an intriguing story line and Valve really are innovative geniuses. And I believe they will be one of the only game studios left that will take FPS's in the right direction. Also, I'll stick with Steam, I was really torn, because I love Steam and I also love Nintendo, but I don't have money for both, and Half-Life IS my favorite game franchise of all time.

And @Shem, I also have 100% achievements in Portal and Portal 2 also, my Steam name is Treverend. But I don't recall the Half-Life teaser in the game? Unless you mean the Borealis achievement.

And @Shem, I also have 100% achievements in Portal and Portal 2 also, my Steam name is Treverend. But I don't recall the Half-Life teaser in the game? Unless you mean the Borealis achievement.

Yup, that's the one I was referring to.

So any of you guys own Witcher 2? I was thinking about buying it because I heard it was good.

PC. There's so much good stuff coming out for PC in the next year it would be a shame not to enjoy it.

this.
there are so many great titles lined up for PC that I can't even remember them all ;)

I would sell my proverbial Wii U for Guild Wars 2 money.

I just got a new custom PC and the choices of games even just at the moment are overwhelming.

I'm finding the opposite. It could be because mmos and rts aren't my bag, but I really can't see a reason to upgrade. It would only take one arcady online shooter that looks good. Just one! A decent skill based online PC shooter that doesn't involve ironsights and vehicles and that isn't sloooooooow.

It's nice to have a bit of choice, if you can afford it. That said, my Xbox has been collecting dust for months now.

If you want my opinion, it sort of seems like PC gaming is on the verge of a renaissance. Maybe not a major one, but with current-gen consoles lagging behind in terms of technology, you notice developers are paying a bit more heed to optimizing their games for every platform, instead of just rushing out a half-arsed port for PC. With some notable exceptions, of course.

I'm finding the opposite. It could be because mmos and rts aren't my bag, but I really can't see a reason to upgrade. It would only take one arcady online shooter that looks good. Just one! A decent skill based online PC shooter that doesn't involve ironsights and vehicles and that isn't sloooooooow.

Isn't Brink all of these things? I haven't played it myself but Stigmata sure loves it.

Section 8: Prejudice.

@BabyHeadCrab, how come??? xD Profanity can't win my decision, tell me why you think that I should, lol.

Isn't Brink all of these things? I haven't played it myself but Stigmata sure loves it.

I have Brink. It's pretty good, a step back from RTCW/ET, but decent. Consolification and ironsights rear their head.

Section 8: Prejudice.

I played the first and wasn't keen. Subpar Halo springs to mind. Are things much improved with Prejudice?

Even something as dated and slow as CS/CS:S feels super smooth and responsive compared to the clunky shooters we get these days. Try playing BC2 and switch to CS - it's like being freed from treacle. It's the basic mechanics that developers are ****ing up and i'm going to blame consoles.

@BabyHeadCrab, how come??? xD Profanity can't win my decision, tell me why you think that I should, lol.

All the latest (3rd party) games will actually make it because it has a controller this round and HD capability. That + Nintendo exclusives is a pretty sweet deal. If you think HDD space is an issue it can use thumb drives, too. If what you're looking to do is play games, it's a cheaper solution - and it already appears you have a computer capable of posting on online forums and presumably to play most indie games.

I played the first and wasn't keen. Subpar Halo springs to mind. Are things much improved with Prejudice?

Didn't play the first. But P is a blast; it did feel like Halo, only with progressive missions in-game(you're not always just trying to cap points; you might get a mission to kill a specific thing or retrieve things on the map) and JETPACKS.

The only flaw is that no one plays it, so there's maybe one full-ish server at a time.

Hahahaha.

Haha.

Shut up and sit down at your keyboard and play some TF2 for god sake.

On a serious note, around 2006-2007 I found out the reasons why, for me and many other people atleast, PC is a much better experience than consoles, and at the current rate/expense of developing new consoles, it always will be.
Around 2009 I pretty much switched entirely to PC gaming, with only my 360 beside me for console exclusives, LA Noire and such. From then on I've bought most of my video games on Steam, since it is the best shit ever and always will be.

As far as I see it, there are very few reasons to play console gaming if you own a decent enough PC, the Wii U might be interesting, but it isn't going to be cutting edge, the hardware capabilities are still stuck around the 2007 PC region -- if that. All consoles are. PCs are the only way you can experience true 2011 gaming. All in my opinion of course, I don't mind if people enjoy 360 more, its all personal opinion.

It's all of those things except for the lack of iron sights and the "decent" part.

Anyway, I would wait and see about the Wii U. I guess there is some potential there, but there was with the Wii too, and this looks even more gimmicky than that.

http://www.alientrap.org/games/nexuiz

Great stuff, naph. I was big into the original.

Darkplaces is a cool version of the Quake engine, very versatile and perfect for that kind of shooter

I miss the hay day of Q3A and UT being hugely popular. Mmm

Its the console-ation effect.

I know plenty of PC gamers that are finding it hard to return to PC gaming once they had a console for a few years.

I for one are one of them.

Yeah @BabyHeadCrab, I'm really torn, I LOVE Half-Life, but I also love Nintendo and it seems like a cheaper option too the computer too, plus when I go to college soon I just think a console will make the move a lot easier. I would be sold with the Wii U if Valve would just promise support for it, I NEED the new Half-Life, it's my favorite series, so they better either announce Half-Life soonish or announce their decision to work on the Wii U before it's released in 2012.

@Nicky 0123, I agree Steam is awesome I have a lot of games on it myself and a pretty decent computer. I just don't get the same feeling of online community with PC gaming as I do with consoles, it seems a lot more close knit and I'm about the only techie guy I know in my group of friends so none of them would ever be interested in Steam or updating their PC's. It's the simplicity of a console that draws in buyers I think. Also I don't care too much about graphics, even the Wii's 1st Part games rocked, don't get me wrong, it had terrible 3rd party support. But I don't think Nintendo will be lagging so far behind in hardware this time around, atleast not to the extent of Wii vs. 360 vs. PS3. Graphics are important too, but I take stand with Nintendo's idea. Utilizing art form in games over shear power. I love colorful games like Windwaker and the new Skyward Sword. But there is nothing like playing PC games on a clear crisp big monitor at over 1080p lol.

I've been a console gamer my whole life but lately these console games are getting boring, and needing to pay out the ass for DLC that hardly changes the game is just not worth it. Been getting more and more into PC gaming since you can get tons of mods with entirely new singleplayer campaigns and such for free. A console might be fun it gets really boring after so long, stick to PC.

Its the console-ation effect.

I know plenty of PC gamers that are finding it hard to return to PC gaming once they had a console for a few years.

I for one are one of them.

Not for me, at all. Four years ago I bought an XBox 360. After two years I sold it, having played only Prototype, Crackdown, Dirt 2, and like half of Fable 2. I bought a PS3 halfway through that, and I still own it. I've played the two Uncharted games, the newest Metal Gear Solid, the last two Assassin's Creed games, and Read Dead Redemption. Thats not even 3 games a year. The only reason I havent sold the PS3 yet is because I use it as a bluray player and netflix device on my tv.

Thats compared to my 140 games on Steam, most of which were purchased in the last 4 years as well.

For the most part I enjoy gaming on a PC. However, there are some experiences that I find much better on a console (split screen multiplayer, party games, "spectacle games" ala Assassins Creed), and can enjoy my 360 every now and again.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, lol just one question. @Wanted Bob, if you could only choose one, would it be the PC or your 360?

Why would anyone pick the 360 over the PC?

The 360 is just a shitty PC with 6 year old hardware, a restrictive OS and paid online on top of buying internet to hook it up.

Back