single player missions for the net?

Dr. Freeman

Reaction score
hi guys and gals :)

im new to the forum but not new to Half Life.. and anxiously awaiting my pre-ordered copy of Half Life2 :cheese:

i have a question/complaint about HL2.

so here goes.. anyone ever play Quake/Doom single player missions online with friends? co-op mode? u and ur friends vs the monsters? i used to do that alot, fun times when all u really wanna do is waste some monsters along side ur buddies..

so i was disappointed when i found out HL did not have this feature and now im even more disappointed because as i understand it, HL2 won't have the feature either :angry: :(

i know some of u are going to refer me to the Sven Co-op mod for HL.. all i gotta say about that is.. with tons of respect to the maker of that mod (makind a mod im sure is not easy), it was horribly done.. and i shudder at the thought of this same person or team of persons attempting to make another mod like Sven Co-op.

maybe im wrong about single player missions not playable with ur friends over the net, or even on a lan? ... plz tell me it ain't so...

on a side note: i was talking to a friend and he told be about this 32 player cap.. while the maps can be by 64 times as big.. :bounce:

oh well i guess this doesn't matter as much.. since most servers start lagging at 20 players..

anyway, thoughts? opinions? thanks for listening

hmm, I just downloaded the sven co-op mod earlier tonight, but havn't tried it out yet. I hope it's better than you're claiming =P

As for the 32 player limit on HL2 maps, I just don't know how valid this is. It may be packaged with a 32 player limit, but it should be easily modifiable with the source code. So I don't really think that'll be a problem once computers catch up to server capabilities.

I'm not sure what you mean by "horribly done."

A lot of people have tried Sven Co-op and have enjoyed themselves. We have a growing community and we provide support as needed.

Perhaps you're talking about the early versions of Sven Co-op, and not the current.

Rad

hey Rad :)

just keep ur expectations low on Sven Co-op and i guess it won't be as disappointing as it was for me..

basically, as i see the mod, it has no real point to it.. u kill monsters.. map ends, new map, kill monster, map ends.. etc.. u get the idea.

with Quake/Doom u actually get to play the missions and stuff with ur friends.. so u and ur buddies are accomplishing something.. which was part of the fun for me at least.

now, its been.. over a year since i played Sven Co-op, so it might have changed a little.. but as i see it, the mod needed a lot of changes.. just MHO.

as for the 32 player cap, ur right.. im not sweating about it too much.. i just thought that was dumb.. of course i heard this from a friend.. so its yet to be seen exactly what the limits are :)

$niper:

i didn't mean to bash the mod.. i just didn't like it as much as others.. and im sure u understand the reasons why from my above posts.

if the mod has improved to something similar to what i was talking about with Quake/Doom, then i'd be interested in giving it another try, but otherwise i have my fingers crossed that Valve adds the single player mission over the net feature part of the game as it comes in the box.

sniper, i enjoy sven a good deal - i do not play it online much, but at lans it was great.
dr.freeman - upon downloading the newer version of sven co-op, http://www.svencoop.com/files.php , there is a map on the map list that has all of the levels of half-life, singleplayermaps.bsp, i believe it can be played in groups over a lan.

I apologize that it doesn't have reet realistic sh0ttys and b3wm cannons from Counter-Strike, or swat team models.

Anyhow, Sven Co-op for Half-Life 2 is much different than Sven Co-op for Half-Life. You need not concern yourself about worrying that it's going to suck as much as Sven Co-op for Half-Life supposedly does. Trust me.

i luv sven-coop, its easier goin' funner not so dam stressful and at least most of the maps make an attempt at a story, i mean its the same on cs, go to mililtia shoot at people get shot, go to dust go in tunnel shoot get shot, i mean at least the gameplay changes from map to map wiht things you don't know are going to happen (i havent played all da' maps yet and i've been playing it for a wile) *still doesn't understand why people like CS... I havent liked it since mansion was the most played map and their were about 40 servers...

sven coop is good... but yeah it could have been a bit better. some of the levels tried too hard to do stuff that HL1 engine couldn't do... so i hope that will be fixed now with source.

well remember that sven coop will be for hl2. even if u dont like sven coop, someone will make the full hl2 singple player missions in co-op mode for that mod.

Originally posted by $niper
I apologize that it doesn't have reet realistic sh0ttys and b3wm cannons from Counter-Strike, or swat team models.

im not asking for anything fancy.. i think ur misinterpreting my desire for pple to be able to enjoy the single player missions that everyone plays by themselves to be able to play them with friends online.

while with Sven Co-op, u can play with ur buddies, slay monsters.. its not exactly what i wanted to complain/question about regarding HL2.

don't take it personal man, not everyone is gonna like every mod out there.. i didn't like Sven Co-op.. but theres pple out there that do, and thats fine, i respect that..

oh well.

I'm not offended. It's just that you seem like a very ignorant person.

Originally posted by $niper
I'm not offended. It's just that you seem like a very ignorant person.

so just cause i didn't like a mod, im a very ignorant person.. well well, lets leave u to judge the world shall we? :rolleyes:

yah.. and i guess that every person that doesn't like a mod that u like is automatically "very ignorant"

whatever...

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman
so just cause i didn't like a mod, im a very ignorant person.. well well, lets leave u to judge the world shall we? :rolleyes:

yah.. and i guess that every person that doesn't like a mod that u like is automatically "very ignorant"

whatever...

no, not because you don't like the mod, but because you totally missed this.

Originally posted by Xelnein
sniper, i enjoy sven a good deal - i do not play it online much, but at lans it was great.
dr.freeman - upon downloading the newer version of sven co-op, http://www.svencoop.com/files.php , there is a map on the map list that has all of the levels of half-life, singleplayermaps.bsp, i believe it can be played in groups over a lan.

erm, so yes, single play maps can be played using the sven co-op mod, any other complaints for $niper? (thanks for a fun mod sniper)

8) thank you, i thought everyone had completely disregarded my post.

Re: Rad

hey Rad :)

just keep ur expectations low on Sven Co-op and i guess it won't be as disappointing as it was for me..

basically, as i see the mod, it has no real point to it.. u kill monsters.. map ends, new map, kill monster, map ends.. etc.. u get the idea.

with Quake/Doom u actually get to play the missions and stuff with ur friends.. so u and ur buddies are accomplishing something.. which was part of the fun for me at least.

now, its been.. over a year since i played Sven Co-op, so it might have changed a little.. but as i see it, the mod needed a lot of changes.. just MHO.

as for the 32 player cap, ur right.. im not sweating about it too much.. i just thought that was dumb.. of course i heard this from a friend.. so its yet to be seen exactly what the limits are :)

Wait a sec... Quake and Doom had objectives? I wasn't aware of those besides, "Get the Blue key" "Get the Red key" and so on. Quake had a few small puzzles unless I'm mistaken (It's been many years) but no real objectives.

I played a very early version of Sven with only a few maps, but it was still fun. I don't think it's the objectives that make HL coop fun but the team action itself.

sniper is right, he's just ignorant :)

i was ignorant, but then i went to svencoop.com and there was the explanation how you could play the single player maps. I played the whole of half-life in 4 hours with a friend.

IT WAS FUN!!!

svenco-op, continue making this wonderfull mod!
and good luck on V-source, i hope youll cook up something new and neat with the co-op!

Thank you , and good night!

I think the problem here was that Dr Freeman didn't know that you can play just normal singleplayer online with Sven Co-op without the extra monsters or anything (if I remember right?). If he did, wtf is this thread about then? =e

True, you can't take Sven Co-op as "seriously", cos fighting against standing-still monsters isnt that challenging, but some maps are great fun anyhow.

Good morning

IF U DIDENT ALREADY KNOW THERE WILL BE A SVEN CO-OP FOR HL2

if u dont believe me then go to www.cscentral.com and try and fine the news archive with sven co-op for hl2

I swear every word is true

Thand you and have a very safe and productive day. :)

Originally posted by evilian1717
Good morning

IF U DIDENT ALREADY KNOW THERE WILL BE A SVEN CO-OP FOR HL2

if u dont believe me then go to www.cscentral.com and try and fine the news archive with sven co-op for hl2

I swear every word is true

Thand you and have a very safe and productive day. :)

positive7.jpg

State the obvious why don't you? We've been talking about it all the way through this thread.

Re: Re: Rad

Originally posted by AmishSlayer
Wait a sec... Quake and Doom had objectives? I wasn't aware of those besides, "Get the Blue key" "Get the Red key" and so on. Quake had a few small puzzles unless I'm mistaken (It's been many years) but no real objectives.

I played a very early version of Sven with only a few maps, but it was still fun. I don't think it's the objectives that make HL coop fun but the team action itself.

and that was exactly what i was referring to... this was what originally the thread was intended for...

as for Sven Co-op and comments related to it..

i guess pple convienently forgot to read this part of one of my post...

as the quote says, Sven Co-op may have changed.. but at the time i played it, the mod needed alot of changes thats just my opinion.. and last i remember opinions were allowed to be stated on public forums such as this one

maybe i'll give Sven Co-op another try.. but somehow i get the feeling its not exactly what i wanted relating to my original post.

oh Sniper stop acting like a little prick.
that "huge growing community" you have at the SC forums are nothing but retarded lemmings that never tried a better mod.

and no, SC hasn't changed. it's still that same pathetic excuse for a co-op mod. nothing but bad netcode and even worse gameplay.

Yes, the Co-Op scene has..........
.......and........

Yeah.

Originally posted by righte0us
that "huge growing community" you have at the SC forums are nothing but retarded lemmings that never tried a better mod.

and no, SC hasn't changed. it's still that same pathetic excuse for a co-op mod. nothing but bad netcode and even worse gameplay.

Do a better mod, you ignorant moron. You sit here all day long and say how everything suck, well do something yourself. Not a Sniper’s problem you don’t have any friends with whom you can play Sven-Coop.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to register so I could say that I hosted a Svencoop single-player maps server for 5 hours yesterday and it was a blast.

I had the player limit set on 3 because the single-maps wouldn't be that fun with 10 people running around, it would be overkill. You could tell though that Svencoop team added monsters to almost every area to make it more challenging, and it worked.

When the next section would load, the other two people I was playing with would spawn in about 10-15 seconds behind me, and there were never any problems, also lag was minimal. Worked pretty damn good I thought.

Just my opinion. :)

Oh, and if anyone is interested in playing hl singleplayer I'll probably be hosting it again today between now and 4:00 EST. The name is "HL Single Player Maps"

Mr.Reak, you see that's the thing.
I don't go around shouting how good I am at certain things even tho they suck. if you're going to do something do it right for heaven's sake and don't come bitching afterwards when somebody is being honest for a change and tells you what you did is poo.

My issue with people who say "Sven Co-op sucks" is that the average person that says that has played version 1.3 and didn't bother to try the latest version. It's really annoying when you have a bad reputation because of other people in the past.

I don't recall saying we have a "huge growing community", Righte0us. I said "We have a growing community and we provide support as needed."

Dr. Freeman seems to have totally ignored the documentation that comes with the mod about the single player maps... or has been playing 1.3... or perhaps he has Counter-Strike retail (doesn't ship with the single player maps)

Originally posted by righte0us

How ironic, so I guess this means you think Half-Life has bad netcode and terrible gamplay? I and many others would disagree with you there.

ugh you ****ing retard there's this thing called the hl sdk.. download and try it out moron before you go around saying stuff you know shit about.

Back