Slow Motion in HL2!

Sweet... That looks great. I will try in a moment. I did test the sounds... they are ok. Can anyone find a real "bullet time" sound now from the Matrix? I found these links, but no bullet time sounds specifically (like the one where Trinity slows down time in the first Matrix... just the beginning FX).

http://fxhome.com/sounds/downloads.html
http://www.stevengotz.com/audio.htm

I never played Max Payne, but maybe a wav from that game would work? Ideas?

well i did some wav searching and came up with these, sound good to me let me know what you think.

Zul, I cannot get your code to work with the exec command. Has anyone else tried this? I will try again tomorrow.

i noticed the bit rate for the wav files i posted dont work with hl2, not sure how to re-incode them to work properly.

crm said:
well i did some wav searching and came up with these, sound good to me let me know what you think.

Ok i've redone the files so they actually work in HL2 *sorry for the first set that didn't work*. I've also swapped the speedup to play the slowdown wav but in reverse mode so sound's alot better, least i think so :D . Anyway give em a shot if you like and enjoy.

Acert93 said:
Zul, I cannot get your code to work with the exec command. Has anyone else tried this? I will try again tomorrow.

i tried his code, and it worked fine. sure u copied it correctly/ to the right place?

zul said:
And of course if you dont like the fog/fov effects you can change/remove them, infact i'd love to see what kind of fog effects other people can come up with.

I changed the fog in the matrixon.cfg to a 'matrix' green. This is what i used.

fog_color 40 123 35
fog_colorskybox 40 123 35

Hope you like it.
How do you change the FOV? I tried messing with it ingame, and the computer crashed =/.

About the FOV, I figured it out, but you can still reply to explain it to others.

The fov command makes the field of view bigger or smaller, so what i did was make it go from the default of 75 out to 90 gradually each frame to make it seem like you can see more while slowed down. For the fog i changed my start numbers to -1000 and my end numbers to 6500, and it looks much better on bigger outside maps. I also made it only slow down to half of normal speed, it feels a little better for me. :D

changing the fog distance can bog down slower computers.. makeing it look even slower ;)

I don't know if this has been stated, but there is an excellent "bullettime" mod for HL2 available for download here:

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Bullet_Time_Mod_V1;33392

here are the contents of the readme file for those that are interested:

In this script pushing down the b key makes you go "matrix" , everything slows down and when you shoot anything with physics it flies much farther than before. because there is no physics on bullets except crossbow, grenades, rpg and bugbait, the other weapons' bullets wont slow down.

installation:
Extract the bullettime.cfg to Youraccount/half-life2/hl2/cfg
In game open up the console and type: Exec Bullettime.cfg

Have fun,
Delerion

Version 1.1 changes:
-------------------
-Changed the speed a bit faster but also changed the physics to go slow on bullettime, this means that when shooting enemies they still fly as slow as it was in the last version, but you can move/shoot a bit faster than before, but so can your enemies.

-Modified the Physgun, during bullettime it can drag objects from far away and shoot them with more force(the more force might not work, dunno why) also it can lift much heavier stuff, bad thing is you cant select some heavy stuff with the normal physgun, meaning that you cant actually lift more heavier stuff on most cases, haven't tested this much.

I dl'ed that mod but the problem is that you have to hold down the key to go in slow-mo...my finger hurts now :p. Really, it's a true pain in the ass. He should modify it so that all you need to do is press a key to go into slo-mo mode.

would this be a valid command??

jacen said:
you have to sv_cheats "1"

this works indeed
but not the way you might think
"wait" only waits 1 frame.
so if you have 100fps .. wait = 1/100 second
if you have 30fps .. wait = 1/30 second

i suggest that you make alisases to block togehter waits and then execute them
e.g.:
alias "wait10" "wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait"

and then execute them by just
"host_timescale 1; wait10; host_timescale 0.9; wait10; host_timescale 0.8; ... "

this is possible, but it would lead to more cpu load on both client and server (for multi). also this load further increases if u want to
sumulate reflection/refraction of bullets if they hit walls/doors and stuff
not sure if you would have to create new materials with special shaders for that, but it is possible.

bind "x" "host_timescale 1; wait10; host_timescale .9; wait10; host_timescale .8; wait10; host_timescale .7; wait10; host_timescale .6; wait10; host_timescale .5; wait10; host_timescale .4; wait10; host_timescale .3; phys_pushscale 10"

I tried the matrix mod but I got tons of errors, anyone else have to fix things to get it to work? I put the matrixon and off wavs in quotes and that seemed to work, but it says it doesnt recognise timespeedup and the other things.

madca7` said:
phys_timescale 0.1 and you can still move fast..

You can still move fast, but so can the enemies-- only the physics are slowed down (hence the 'phys' )

cjborton didnt gabe say bullets are instantaneous in hl2? if they are then you cant
(a bit late lol)

Back